Should refs be allowed to give penalties because a coach or player yelled at them?

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Exactly but it would have been fun to see someone who thinks that try and explain it to me.

Yelling, screaming and swearing at a ref will get you no where, but speaking to the ref about a call you feel was wrong isn't a bad thing to do. There are proper ways to speak with an official to hopefully get a call to go your way next time, however Ted Nolan clearly didn't demonstrate that in this case.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Yelling, screaming and swearing at a ref will get you no where, but speaking to the ref about a call you feel was wrong isn't a bad thing to do. There are proper ways to speak with an official to hopefully get a call to go your way next time, however Ted Nolan clearly didn't demonstrate that in this case.

Because everyone except the ref saw what he missed. it literally resulted in a goal and I can see why nolan was so hot.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Maybe buffalo should practice defense or something, missed calls happen every game, goals off of them do not.

Missed calls like that shouldnt happen. Also, I did acknowledged that missed calls happen every shift.
When the other teams player who scored as a result of a missed call pointed it out, you know that is an issue.

And yes, we all agree he has the right to be upset. And as stated there are ways to get that point across, in the refs opinion Nolan went beyond that.........it's like we are going in circles here.

A ref that missed a pretty big call that resulted in a goal. Yup, this is one of those things that will just keep going on and on and on. Hard to respect a ref when they miss something like that when everyone but him saw it.

Everyone wants a coach to act a certain way, but they make excuses for refs saying they are only human etc blah blah blah. Yup, so are coaches, and a game that thrives off emotions coaches will get pissed off at horrible calls and missed calls and give an earful to a ref.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Missed calls like that shouldnt happen. Also, I did acknowledged that missed calls happen every shift.
When the other teams player who scored as a result of a missed call pointed it out, you know that is an issue.

A ref that missed a pretty big call that resulted in a goal. Yup, this is one of those things that will just keep going on and on and on. Hard to respect a ref when they miss something like that when everyone but him saw it.

Everyone wants a coach to act a certain way, but they make excuses for refs saying they are only human etc blah blah blah. Yup, so are coaches, and a game that thrives off emotions coaches will get pissed off at horrible calls and missed calls and give an earful to a ref.

The refs missed a call that would have resulted in a faceoff. The players still played the game and it was that play that resulted in a goal.

Everyone wants the coaches to act like professionals, when they cross the line there are consequences to be paid. That is all that happened here.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Whether or not you respect a person on an individual basis doesn't matter, you still have to treat the position itself with respect.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The refs missed a call that would have resulted in a faceoff. The players still played the game and it was that play that resulted in a goal.

Everyone wants the coaches to act like professionals, when they cross the line there are consequences to be paid. That is all that happened here.

That's one of the funny things about this--we expect the referees to act professionally, but then some think it's okay to act unprofessional towards them in return.

If it's okay for the players and coaches to berate the officials, it ought to be okay for the officials to berate the players and coaches. Could you imagine how that would play out? :laugh:

Jun 22, 2009
Every single referee in the NHL should be fired and replaced with officials from the minors.

I don't know any other sports league on the planet that deals with as many unprofessional, arrogant, pathetic referees than this league does. The problem is institutional.. and the only viable solution is a total re-haul. Fire everyone involved with that union as well.

I guarantee we would see a 100% turnaround. This is not a problem of competency.. its all about the egos.

LOOOL. If you think NHL refs are a problem stay away from the NBA. Majority of games get decided by the refs right in front of your eyes.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
LOOOL. If you think NHL refs are a problem stay away from the NBA. Majority of games get decided by the refs right in front of your eyes.

or MLB if you're looking for arrogance.

In answer to the OP, yes the refs should be able to give penalties to a coach or player because they yelled at them. I think NHL refs are pretty tolerant in terms of the level of abuse they'll take before calling a penalty. And you can bet the players or coaches get a warning first, unless what they say is so out of line right off the bat that the ref doesn't have an opportunity to warn them.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
That's one of the funny things about this--we expect the referees to act professionally, but then some think it's okay to act unprofessional towards them in return.

If it's okay for the players and coaches to berate the officials, it ought to be okay for the officials to berate the players and coaches. Could you imagine how that would play out? :laugh:

You should hear some of the stuff my partners and I say about coaches/players in the dressing room after the game. :laugh:

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Yes, they should. They are the best refs of all hockey refs; making their jobs miserable is not going to make them better.

If you want officiating to be better, letting players and coaches yell at them for 2+hours every night is counterproductive. Better technology, training, and reward systems will be much more effective.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't think it should be open season on refs if they feel a line was crossed they should call a penalty for unsportsman or delay of game or whatever. I would like to see more accountability for bad calls though, the refs should have reviews on calls much like head shots. Maybe they already do I don't know. But poor calls and incorrect calls due to embellishment should be reviewed and reprimanded because reffing does need improvement.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Yes, they should. They are the best refs of all hockey refs; making their jobs miserable is not going to make them better.

If you want officiating to be better, letting players and coaches yell at them for 2+hours every night is counterproductive. Better technology, training, and reward systems will be much more effective.

Lol all I can think of is Tim Peel.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Lol all I can think of is Tim Peel.

And I think Tim Peel is bad for an NHL ref, but he's a better referee than me. Not only is he a better skater, the proper gender to be working in the NHL, and more experienced, I'm sure knows NHL rules better than me (doing amateur games is a different rulebook though), and has better judgement of the speed of NHL games at ice level in real time.

Seriously, toss me in an NHL game as an official (say, as a referee, why not) and I'd probably be 100 times worse than Tim Peel.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Uhm, pretty much everything the refs do is subjective.

One of the only penalties that isn't subjective is the puck over glass delay of game penalty and people hate that because it isn't subjective. What a bunch of hypocrites.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Heh and the puck actually did not go out of play upon further review. Nice.

HAHA that is great, so this thread was for nothing since it was based off that play :laugh: Glad Nolan didnt get away with his abuse of officials and the penalty was certainly deserved.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Giving Power Plays over these type of games is idiotic.

Give a player a misconduct.... Give a coach a misconduct ... throw them out of the game .... but a Power Play? .. Stupid.

By the way... Nolan said he clapped to encourage the team.. ref thought he was clapping at him. That's petty.

I'd be pissed if I cared about the loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad