Should refs be allowed to give penalties because a coach or player yelled at them?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Every single referee in the NHL should be fired and replaced with officials from the minors.

I don't know any other sports league on the planet that deals with as many unprofessional, arrogant, pathetic referees than this league does. The problem is institutional.. and the only viable solution is a total re-haul. Fire everyone involved with that union as well.

I propose they hire you! I think you would make a great NHL Referee!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Officials will let a guy have his say, but don't try to embarrass him. It has nothing to do with hurt feelings, it has to do with crossing a line of respect.

Yes the officials have the right to make that call. They are professionals.

Notice how the refs are always bad when they make bad calls against my team? yeah, that's all of you right now.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Every single referee in the NHL should be fired and replaced with officials from the minors.

I don't know any other sports league on the planet that deals with as many unprofessional, arrogant, pathetic referees than this league does. The problem is institutional.. and the only viable solution is a total re-haul. Fire everyone involved with that union as well.

I guarantee we would see a 100% turnaround. This is not a problem of competency.. its all about the egos.

Clearly you don't recall when the NFL did that a few years ago. No thanks.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Its not about the refs feelings. Its about making the league look professional and not have a bunch of angry players/coaches making the sport look like a joke and cursing out the officials every 2 minutes. From little kid leagues to the NHL and every single level in between these rules are in place, why change it for the NHL? What exactly does this accomplish? Making it ok to curse out the referees benefits who and does what for the sport?

While I get what you're saying, the officiating that goes on these days is making the league look less professional than what you are afraid of. Vendettas, reffing to the score, and the flat out obvious that gets let go or missed is unbelievable.

The league may not look professional under your scenario, but not enforcing their own rule book may be even worse.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
Of course there should be penalties for it. Ref's I imagine let a lot slide from the coaches, but when there is a bench minor they must of crossed the line. The thinking that a coach should be able to say whatever he pleases is just ridiculous. No league allows it. You either get a penalty for your team or ejected.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Its not about the refs feelings. Its about making the league look professional and not have a bunch of angry players/coaches making the sport look like a joke and cursing out the officials every 2 minutes. From little kid leagues to the NHL and every single level in between these rules are in place, why change it for the NHL? What exactly does this accomplish? Cursing out the referees benefits who and does what for the sport?

I'm sure that's why the ref gave Nolan a penalty, he cares about the integrity of the league. :laugh: How professional is it when a ref ****s up and then adds to that by giving a penalty to the coach. I think that's way more unprofessional than a coach yelling at a ref in an emotional game because his team got screwed.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Exactly. The refs get coddled. Refs blow calls all the time, you can't yell at them, you can't criticize them in the press conference. Who died and made them immortal?

I really don't think the refs are nearly as bad as everyone thinks. Yeah, they screw up sometimes. Yeah, sometimes your team gets a raw deal. Every team in the league does and it more or less evens out by the end of the season. There's a human element to the job and sometimes things are not as black and white as you'd think. I'm not sure how it's helpful to let players and coaches constantly rip into the refs for every minor thing they disagree with. Refs know when they make mistakes, they don't need some hothead coach ripping into them every press conference after a game.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
I will use the Ranger fan logic here. So you know what he said?

Sorry, the reffing in the NHL has been atrocious over the past few years.

If they can handle getting punched, hit with pucks, run over by guys going full speed that may be bigger than them, they should be able to handle a few words from an angry coach, especially when it is because of a bad/missed call. Unless their ego comes into play and then they think they are not wrong.

Never said I did, did I?????? Simply said we have to assume it was worse than the usual tongue lashing they receive. Please don't attempt to make up statements I never made.

Edit..... and when do refs handle getting punched? You might be thinking linesman...... Linesman and refs are a different position, you know that, right?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Pam made the wrong copies AGAIN? Ok, well now she is crossing the line and she probably deserved to get cursed out.

:sarcasm:

There are usually rules in place in an office space, and if she continued to screw up she would be fired or written up. HUGE difference between an office setting that has guidelines and a system in place to reprimand continuous screw ups compared to a league that does nothing to reprimand terrible officiating.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I really don't think the refs are nearly as bad as everyone thinks. Yeah, they screw up sometimes. Yeah, sometimes your team gets a raw deal. Every team in the league does and it more or less evens out by the end of the season. There's a human element to the job and sometimes things are not as black and white as you'd think. I'm not sure how it's helpful to let players and coaches constantly rip into the refs for every minor thing they disagree with. Refs know when they make mistakes, they don't need some hothead coach ripping into them every press conference after a game.

Fantastic, level-headed comment. This is a hockey fan.

I have lost it on refs many times. Deserved every penalty I got. :laugh:

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Never said I did, did I?????? Simply said we have to assume it was worse than the usual tongue lashing they receive. Please don't attempt to make up statements I never made.

No, but people here have said it, I just decided to use it in a counter argument against your original comment. Also, you know what they say about making assumptions.

Lets act like NHL refs never over react or dont have egos.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
There are usually rules in place in an office space, and if she continued to screw up she would be fired or written up. HUGE difference between an office setting that has guidelines and a system in place to reprimand continuous screw ups compared to a league that does nothing to reprimand terrible officiating.

And you know they do nothing because....

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
No, but people here have said it, I just decided to use it in a counter argument against your original comment. Also, you know what they say about making assumptions.

Lets act like NHL refs never over react or dont have egos.

Kind of like the assumption you're making because you seem to believe the bench penalty wasn't deserved. You're assuming the ref automatically made the wrong call here.

My assumption, since I wasn't there and have no knowledge of what was said, is that he made the right call.

Benefit of the doubt has to go to the ref.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Man, I had no idea that there were so many people that thought it was okay to verbally abuse the referees. It's not about feelings--it's about acting like a professional. Referees make mistakes, yes, but that shouldn't make them fair game for personal insults/threats of bodily harm/etc. from players and coaches.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I feel like most people disagree with me, but the Sabres game basically exposed one of the biggest pet peeves I have in sports and it's worst in hockey. Ted Nolan complained because the refs screwed up and ended up getting called. The ref is incompetent and then the coach called him out and his feelings got hurt and he doubled up and called a penalty despite being rightfully chewed out. This was an extreme example, but I always feel that the players should be the ones deciding the game not the refs' feelings. It just drives me crazy. I know that it might be a slippery slope to disallow penalties because of a player or coach yelling at a ref, but I feel like if players lose so much composure that it becomes extreme and yell at the ref "too much", they'll likely not have their head in the game and would have their chances of winning hurt.

I've thought about this a lot, coaches players should be able to speak to the refs without a penalty - but not curse at them, there has to be some professional respect.

The ref call on the first goal was a screw up, but that's what happens for bottom-level teams.

This incident is one that always comes to mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_McCarter#Bill_Cowher_Incident

And a good video on some similar situations, many of them hockey-related LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_GFouwlG5E

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Unless you were there on the bench or ice when it happened, you have no idea the context of what was said. MAybe the ref warned him several times to drop an issue and he didn't. Maybe Nolan said something disrespectful. That's the ref's call to make. Not the fans...

Neither do you. A couple seasons ago, AV got a bench minor for repeatedly trying to get the refs attention to explain a penalty and said ref got annoyed. You could see he never said anything, but that call directly led to a powerplay goal which won Calgary the game.

It's nonsense refs cannot be held accountable for anything in the NHL.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
When you get in trouble at work, do they tweet it or put it on the company Facebook account? How do they let the public know you drove your forklift into an Escalade?

Does the media ask me about my work day? Is there a mass market? This is an entertainment business. The comparisons between this and a real job are laughable.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
When you get in trouble at work, do they tweet it or put it on the company Facebook account? How do they let the public know you drove your forklift into an Escalade?

The only way we see any repercussions towards a ref performance is when it comes to choosing playoff refs at the beginning and into the deeper rounds.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Kind of like the assumption you're making because you seem to believe the bench penalty wasn't deserved. You're assuming the ref automatically made the wrong call here.

My assumption, since I wasn't there and have no knowledge of what was said, is that he made the right call.

Benefit of the doubt has to go to the ref.

Why is that? That ref lost credibility when he had a missed call that resulted in Nolan getting pissed off.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I guarantee we would see a 100% turnaround. This is not a problem of competency.. its all about the egos.

Every diehard fan of every sport says exactly the same thing. If you think the NHL referees are objectively worse (or better) than the referees/officials in the NFL, NBA, MLB, soccer, tennis, etc., you're mistaken. When you're incredibly passionate about something though, as we are with hockey, it seems like everything is more serious than it is.

IMO, I actually think the referees in the NHL do a pretty damn good job. I think the vast majority of the calls they make are correct and they do a good job overall. Some of the goal/no goal calls are questionable or vaguely justified, but that's on the NHL central office and not the individual on-ice officials.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Every diehard fan of every sport says exactly the same thing. If you think the NHL referees are objectively worse (or better) than the referees/officials in the NFL, NBA, MLB, soccer, tennis, etc., you're mistaken. When you're incredibly passionate about something though, as we are with hockey, it seems like everything is more serious than it is.

IMO, I actually think the referees in the NHL do a pretty damn good job. I think the vast majority of the calls they make are correct and they do a good job overall. Some of the goal/no goal calls are questionable or vaguely justified, but that's on the NHL central office and not the individual on-ice officials.

Baseball holds their umpires accountable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad