Management Should Guerin be fired?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Guerin needs to be out after this season. At this point, I would have preferred keeping Fenton if assholes are concerned. He at least had an eye for talent and was pretty ruthless on rebuilding the team.

Guerin has shown he is way over his head at this point.
Thank God it's not an either/or scenario.

Reactions: MNRube

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Idk , Nino for Rask is just horrifying
In the grand scheme, neither Rask nor Niederreiter did much outside the trade. Goals are nice, but Nino is now with the Jets after a mediocre stint with the Predators. Fenton did what a lot of Wild fans wanted and that was to start rebuilding, which meant tearing out guys that ultimately didn't fit. Could Fenton gotten more? Who knows. But neither Rask nor Nino amounted to much.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
In the grand scheme, neither Rask nor Niederreiter did much outside the trade. Goals are nice, but Nino is now with the Jets after a mediocre stint with the Predators. Fenton did what a lot of Wild fans wanted and that was to start rebuilding, which meant tearing out guys that ultimately didn't fit. Could Fenton gotten more? Who knows. But neither Rask nor Nino amounted to much.

I mean Rask is currently on pace to have 14 points in Swiss league, Nino is on pace to have 50 points while being a possession beast.

But I think the saddest part is that somehow Nino's extension has the same AAV as Foligno, except with less term (4 vs 3 years) and no NTC/NMC.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I mean Rask is currently on pace to have 14 points in Swiss league, Nino is on pace to have 50 points while being a possession beast.

But I think the saddest part is that somehow Nino's extension has the same AAV as Foligno, except with less term (4 vs 3 years) and no NTC/NMC.
I think that is the saddest part. But Fenton received more cap flexibility. Something that Guerin seems to have lost his mind on.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im reaching the point where im scared what will he do next so CL has to think about the damage he could do in the near future. may sound hypothetical but its real I've seen it before. when guerin first started it felt like he had a plan now it feels like hes flying by the seat of his pants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Does anyone really trust Guerin to navigate us through this? Even a neutered Guerin is going to fly off the handle again. We are who we are, and he is a reactionary and bold individual. I'd rather have a cagey fox type.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Does anyone really trust Guerin to navigate us through this? Even a neutered Guerin is going to fly off the handle again. We are who we are, and he is a reactionary and bold individual. I'd rather have a cagey fox type.
Similar to how Dean was fired and replaced by John Hynes and so many ppl were underwhelmed, i think you have to consider who would actually be the replacement. Maybe itd be someone great but more likely you get another risebrough or fletcher.

Im not going to write a big thing analyzing billys career to this pt but idk how anyone could say he isnt clearly the best gm theyve had so far and i think you have to give him a shot post buy-outs before making this judgement. Also ideally you would have a guy in mind rather than just saying "get someone better!" lol

Reactions: Minnesota

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
If not him, then who? That is usually my question when I hear this with any GM or HC firing.

Frankly, I'm tired of GM/HC's outside Bruce who are attempting to build another Penguin or Lightning team. All while having 0 Top 5 1st rounders playing on this team.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If not him, then who? That is usually my question when I hear this with any GM or HC firing.

Frankly, I'm tired of GM/HC's outside Bruce who are attempting to build another Penguin or Lightning team. All while having 0 Top 5 1st rounders playing on this team.
I’ll sacrifice my job for the GM position of the Minnesota Wild. Then, we shall come up with solutions together as a board. Surely we can all agree on the direction this team should go ;)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I’ll sacrifice my job for the GM position of the Minnesota Wild. Then, we shall come up with solutions together as a board. Surely we can all agree on the direction this team should go ;)
I somehow doubt that if you managed to get said position, you would do such a thing. You would do anything you could to try to keep said job by doing what you think is best based on the parameters you are given to work with.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Yep, as Mr. Tacos says..... BG has my (faltering) support until the first year after the dead cap goes away. If that season isn't something special I'm bringing out the pitchfork.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I'd sacrifice your job to be made GM of the Wild too. I wouldn't half ass it either, I'm talking Temple of Doom type of sacrifice. Not sure what you'd be doing after that, but I'd be the GM. :cool:

• Love
Reactions: BagHead

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
GMDGB’s first transactions:

Boldy for Caufield
Faber for K’Andre Miller
Zuccarello + for Pavelski

• Haha
Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
GMDGB’s first transactions:

Boldy for Caufield
Faber for K’Andre Miller
Zuccarello + for Pavelski
Zucc for Pavelski would be a steal. Boldy - Caufield is a wash. I wouldn’t even think about Faber for Miller. No chance.

I’d keep:
-Kaprizov
-Boldy
-Eriksson Ek
-Rossi
-Faber

Everything else is up for grabs.

Targets:
Top 4 dmen
Scoring wingers

Reactions: MNRube

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I want Eric Tulsky. Or Michael Futa.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I think GM is a harder spot to pick for a name than a coach. The coaching staff are just more visible than the front office staff across the board. There is also a much larger pool to get coaches from between college, AHL, NHL, former players, etc.

For GMs it's a more limited pool of grooming your own inhouse, retreads, or picking from other NHL teams' front offices. You can go outside the box with a non-hockey background guy, but the top (ownership/GMs) of the NHL is still mostly a good ol' boys club.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Said it before, but Guerin's a decent assessor of talent and would be a good Director of Player Personnel or something like that.

Why teams feel the need to hire men with no management experience to be "general managers" is a puzzle.

I know he has a team around him, but without a competent "manager" that doesn't really matter.

Ironically, Chuck Fletcher did seem to be a decent "general manager" but he was a subpar guy when it came to talent assessment.

Paul Fenton was also good on talent assessment, but poor on management skills.

The problem, I suppose, is all these ex-jocks have too much charisma, too firm of handshakes, for a guy like Leipold to turn down.

In five years, Ryan Suter will be the GM and the Wild will still have nothing to show for their existence.
Well said.

I would also say that while Fletcher did make some decent signings, the Parise/Suter one ended up being a disaster, and his time in PHI was an unmitigated disaster.

I don't know if Fenton had enough time on board for us to assess his abilities in signing deal(as opposed to making trades), but he was an abject failure when it came to dealing with people, it sounds like.

It's disturbing to hear that BG might have other blind spots when it comes to dealing with people, though in a different, more focussed area. Sounds like an anger problem.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Less concerned with BG's decisions and more with the marching orders that come from ownership. Until ownership is willing to eat a few dead years for the sake of a real rebuild, I don't think we ever get higher than mid grade as a team unless something magical happens.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
guerin must be accountable for signing aging vets; the stramel pick at #21 & the failed fiala negotiation. even if faber turns out great guerin failed. guerin also failed with addison but most of you think thats a good thing. i hope we get lucky and have a 10th or better pick. pure luck from several injuries which i'd never wish for. my worst fear is guerin trading top picks for more aging vets.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
guerin must be accountable for signing aging vets; the stramel pick at #21 & the failed fiala negotiation. even if faber turns out great guerin failed. guerin also failed with addison but most of you think thats a good thing. i hope we get lucky and have a 10th or better pick. pure luck from several injuries which i'd never wish for. my worst fear is guerin trading top picks for more aging vets.
I was tracking until this part.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
considering how poorly are D is currently how can you say goli; merrill & mermis are better than addison? merrill has like 4 points; goli has like 6 or 7 & zach bogo has 5 maybe vs addison's 12 making the league minimum! no brainer who i'd rather have on my team addison can skate better & pass better than any of the other 3rd pair D.

Last edited:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
considering how poorly are D is currently how can you say goli; merrill & mermis are better than addison? merrill has like 4 points; goli has like 6 or 7 & zach bogo has 5 maybe vs addison's 12 making the league minimum! no brainer who i'd rather have on my team addison can skate better & pass better than any of the other 3rd pair D.
I think Guerin knew Addison wasn’t part of the Wild’s long-term plan once they went to arbitration, regardless of how well or poorly he played this season. Part of me wishes Addison played amazing so Guerin could have gotten a better return. Defensively, Addison was absolutely worse than Goligoski or Merrill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad