Management Should Guerin be fired?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
In my mind he's been a real mixed bag as a GM and, in that sense, replacing him likely ends up a lateral move.

More importantly, I personally find him to be a mix of irritating and amusing. So again, pros and cons.

It's hard to put much stock in an internal investigation that we don't really know any details about. Guerin being a loud d-bag with a short temper, especially when the season starts going sideways before Thanksgiving, would be the least surprising thing ever, but we still don't know what actually happened. The fact that Heydt is the one that filed a complaint is interesting though. He's got more tenure than most of the staff and has dealt with a few GMs now, which makes me think there's some substance to it.

Never thought I'd say this, but if they can Guerin after canning Fenton for something similar: let Modano hire the next one. Leipold isn't any good at this.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In my mind he's been a real mixed bag as a GM and, in that sense, replacing him likely ends up a lateral move.

More importantly, I personally find him to be a mix of irritating and amusing. So again, pros and cons.

It's hard to put much stock in an internal investigation that we don't really know any details about. Guerin being a loud d-bag with a short temper, especially when the season starts going sideways before Thanksgiving, would be the least surprising thing ever, but we still don't know what actually happened. The fact that Heydt is the one that filed a complaint is interesting though. He's got more tenure than most of the staff and has dealt with a few GMs now, which makes me think there's some substance to it.

Never thought I'd say this, but if they can Guerin after canning Fenton for something similar: let Modano hire the next one. Leipold isn't any good at this.
I have no faith that Modano is anything but an aging ex player picking up a paycheck.

Reactions: TaLoN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I have no faith that Modano is anything but an aging ex player picking up a paycheck.
The team probably needs a real president (or whatever other teams call it) to get this sort of decision away from the owner. I was thinking they hired Modano to do something like that, but I guess he's just an adviser. Which, yeah, better to let him "advise" or whatever.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The team probably needs a real president (or whatever other teams call it) to get this sort of decision away from the owner. I was thinking they hired Modano to do something like that, but I guess he's just an adviser. Which, yeah, better to let him "advise" or whatever.

Is he even that? I thought he was just a figurehead to sell more tickets.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's what Wikipedia says :dunno: Does Shero still have some role, too? Or am I imagining that?

I think Shero is still an advisor on the hockey side, last I heard.

This is what I found in an article by Russo from April:

Modano, 52, was hired by the Wild in 2019 to be an executive advisor, mostly tasked with helping Leipold and president Matt Majka. But in the past few years, Guerin, Modano’s old Stars and USA Hockey teammate, has been trying to get the former star centerman more involved in hockey ops.

So it looks like he's both

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo was on KFAN. Said Heydt hasn't been in all week, and doubts that he will ever work for the team again. Reiterated how popular Heydt was around the organization, especially with the players.
I think he also said something about Heydt being disappointed with the outcome of the investigation - not sure if that was speculation, or fact.

Also said that Guerin, and others involved in this will be unlikely to open up about it, as things may well end up in court.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Russo was on KFAN. Said Heydt hasn't been in all week, and doubts that he will ever work for the team again. Reiterated how popular Heydt was around the organization, especially with the players.
I think he also said something about Heydt being disappointed with the outcome of the investigation - not sure if that was speculation, or fact.

Also said that Guerin, and others involved in this will be unlikely to open up about it, as things may well end up in court.
If it is that serious, then it should go to court, as it should, and let it play out. For me personally, there just isn't enough info to feel one way or another and I'm just going to focus on the hockey aspect of this team. Until more info gets released, that is. This won't affect my evaluation of BG's job until more things become clear.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I feel like our pro scouting has improved with Guerin, its too early to tell with our prospects but they seem sufficient as well.
How Rossi has been handled gives me confidence that they wont try forcing things just because the timing is convenient for the Wild.

This year has given me Risebrough vibes though.

The seemingly overvaluing of bottom 6 toughness and pointless fights combined with a relatively disappointing size player drafted (Stramel) have got me a little concerned.

The counter would be we do need to be tougher, individually players like Bogo and Foligno are fine for what they are. We can't afford a true FA upgrade and we don't know how Stramel will turn out and this is just something that was inevitable due to the buyouts.

I personally feel like we have overachieved the past 3 seasons, the playoff losses were disappointing but werent stunning upsets.

I would keep him if the incident doesn't warrant being fired. I don't see someone new making any meaningful difference.

Edit: I should say I consider either Guerin or Fenton our best GM, its hard to properly assign credit when both of them have had a hand in our current roster.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If it is that serious, then it should go to court, as it should, and let it play out. For me personally, there just isn't enough info to feel one way or another and I'm just going to focus on the hockey aspect of this team. Until more info gets released, that is. This won't affect my evaluation of BG's job until more things become clear.
I probably shouldn't have used to word court. What i meant to say is that Heydt(I think that's what Russo said) is lawyered up, and will probably want a decent severance package, seeing as working for the Wild is now out of the question. If it does go to court, it would be civil, i would imagine, but I would guess that they don't even want to go that far.

I am still confused as to how and where the O'Hearn incident fits in. If it is indeed a completely separate case, it seems to be more of an indictment of the team's management culture, rather than if it was one incident where Guerin, Heidt, and O'Hearn were involved. You could put that down to one bad, but isolated argument/confrontation.

I mean, what are the odds that two separate HR incidents happened in about the same time frame? Makes you think that they are not isolated at all, but only the tip of the iceberg.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i don't expect a gm to bat 1000! i want a gm who bats 600. whats really important is a good solid plan which i have NEVER seen from a wild gm. hey CL im available!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Damn could feel the refresh coming, went to copy everything I had wrote, and milliseconds before I touched “copy” the page bugged out. Sucks too because it was some good analysis. You guys will never know though.
Wasn't there some great author who lost his first draft and had to rewrite it from scratch? James Joyce, or something?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Thinking about this some more. Do you think Leipold doesn't want Guerin gone as the new GM will have to inherit Hynes and Leipold isn't going to be paying for two GMs and three coaches?

Also the rumor is that players still have some pull in the locker room over the coach and possibly GM. Why isn't there a clear separation of power?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Thinking about this some more. Do you think Leipold doesn't want Guerin gone as the new GM will have to inherit Hynes and Leipold isn't going to be paying for two GMs and three coaches?

Also the rumor is that players still have some pull in the locker room over the coach and possibly GM. Why isn't there a clear separation of power?
What rumor is that?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Friedman podcast that was posted a little further back he talks a tiny bit about it as he states parise and suter had pull before and he believes it may still be a thing now with players allegedly upset. Nothing huge just speculation from him.
All I remember is players being close to Heydt and being pissed about the situation, not that they had any power to do anything about it.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
All I remember is players being close to Heydt and being pissed about the situation, not that they had any power to do anything about it.
I don’t know the exact point or phrasing used but he brought up how parise and suter had pull and then possibly hinted at or speculated it may still be there with new players. Not a lot to go off of.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
BG has been keeping a low profile lately. I mean, what is he going to say? The Wild are desperately trying to keep a lid on the O'Hearn and Heydt affairs, and those are the first things that any decent reporter will ask about.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think Guerin needs to be out after this season. At this point, I would have preferred keeping Fenton if assholes are concerned. He at least had an eye for talent and was pretty ruthless on rebuilding the team.

Guerin has shown he is way over his head at this point.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I think Guerin needs to be out after this season. At this point, I would have preferred keeping Fenton if assholes are concerned. He at least had an eye for talent and was pretty ruthless on rebuilding the team.

Guerin has shown he is way over his head at this point.
Idk , Nino for Rask is just horrifying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad