OT: Shooting at Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ottawa Police say there have been 3 separate shooting incidents in and around Parliament.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just talking to my dad....he is convinced there are people working on the Hill who are a part of this. For these shooters to know exactly when these caucus meetings are taking place and where inside the building and head right for it...that's not commonplace info.

There's also supposed to be guards and metal detectors at every entrance now...very odd for people to get through so easily.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The idea of an armed guard to protect a cenotaph seems like the definition of irony to me.

Under almost every circumstance but this one, you just need a presence to make sure people treat it with respect - and really, depending on how known the shooter made himself before firing... having the guard be armed wouldn't have made a lick of difference. Other than potentially providing a second weapon after taking him down.

Ok, I can see that logic. But there are scenarios where a gun is useful. If the guy gets off a shot, and the soldier gets hit and takes cover, he's stuck hiding without a weapon, when he could have potentially returned fire and killed the shooter with his superior training. There are pros and cons.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just talking to my dad....he is convinced there are people working on the Hill who are a part of this. For these shooters to know exactly when these caucus meetings are taking place and where inside the building and head right for it...that's not commonplace info.

There's also supposed to be guards and metal detectors at every entrance now...very odd for people to get through so easily.

We won't know any of this for awhile.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ok, I can see that logic. But there are scenarios where a gun is useful. If the guy gets off a shot, and the soldier gets hit and takes cover, he's stuck hiding without a weapon, when he could have potentially returned fire and killed the shooter with his superior training. There are pros and cons.

That's the argument where if there's an armed person everywhere, that limits the damage.

Except if the armed person ends up being the one doing the damage.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
But why wouldn't their gun be loaded in case something like this happens?

same reason the guards outside the Governor General's residence don't arm their weapons....too many visitors and tourists to the sites. Don't need kids pulling on your rifle and having it discharge.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

It'd only be potentially useful in a case of an attacker making themselves known prior to attacking, and in that case their other training still can be useful.
In the case of a gunman with a rifle from a distance - it wouldn't matter at all.

And the risks of having a loaded weapon in a high traffic area far outweigh the chances of an incident like this happening.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Because the likelihood of a false shooting is higher than the real thing. How many times do you see a guy gunned down by the police because of a mistake? We don't typically see this sort of stuff in Canada.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is just going to solidify the police state. Ugh.

Was an interesting interview with an MP on CNN (sorry, don't know MP's name). He talked specifically about not letting fear let us make any mistakes or walk into the pitfalls of over-doing security. Really wish I could've gotten his name...guy was so calm and made a point of saying how much we value our freedom and not having a police state and being able to move around in Ottawa. Good stuff from that guy.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Catherine Lathem ‏@CatherineCTV 7m7 minutes ago
BREAKING: @ctvottawa CONFIRMS: One shooter dead. Police working under assumption more than one shooter. 3 shooting incidents #ottnews

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
****, this is chilling. Seeing images like this from places where you lived for years, visited frequently... I'm sick to my stomach right now

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Absolutely, freedom should be the first thought here. Definitely not safety. These things will happen just deal with them as they come I say.

Analyzer*

Has this been confirmed?

When 9/11 and the Boston bombings happened the media reported a lot of things that turned out to be false.

The media need to be more careful- stuff like this just adds to the fear.

I hope it's fake. I know some people who work in that area and go there for lunch, or to kill time.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Has this been confirmed?

When 9/11 and the Boston bombings happened the media reported a lot of things that turned out to be false.

The media need to be more careful- stuff like this just adds to the fear.

Yup. Police Confirmed three shootings, one being the Rideau Mall

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
One of my buddies just posted a cell phone video of someone being wheeled out of the Chateau Laurier on a stretcher into an ambulance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad