OT: Shooting at Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Link here.
Shots have been fired at Parliament Hill's Centre Block.

A Canadian soldier has been shot and is being treated by medics at the Canadian War Memorial on Wellington Street, according to media reports.

Police have locked down Parliament and Ottawa Police tactical officers have arrived, pointing guns at journalists and ordering them to the ground.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wow...that's crazy. Times sure have changed. I remember my dad telling me once (he worked at the distribution centres on the Hill) one of his co-workers picked up a hunting rifle during his lunch break for the weekend (hunting trip) and just waltzed past security at Center block with rifle in hand (or maybe it was the Wellington Building, not sure which one he was at back at that time) and the guards didn't even pay attention to him. It was back in the mid 1970s, but still. Even growing up as a kid, I could wander around Center block (late 70s to late 80s) after school like nothing (I'd go pickup some food in the main cafeteria a few times for the guys).

The last few years before he retired in the mid 1990s they had evacuations nearly every week. Part due to threats, part due to construction tripping various wires and causing fires and such.

Crazy days.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Shots fired in Parliamentary Precinct

I work on Elgin, across from War Memorial. A soldier was shot there, and shots were reported in Centre Block.

Very scary, tons of sirens, lots of police/military.

I can only assume that the news will get much worse as the details become known.

Prayers for an victims.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A lot of sirens going by my office on Metcalfe.

EDIT: Yeah, I think this deserves its own thread. Was the bus crash in the lounge?

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Stay safe, fellow Ontarians.

Was born in Ottawa and still have friends there.

Prayers out to those in the area, and for the soldier involved. Terrible terrible times.

And yes, this absolutely deserves its own thread.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Stay safe, fellow Ontarians.

Born in Ottawa, and still have friends there.

Prayers to everyone in the area, and the soldier involved. Terrible terrible times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino