Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe extended 2 years

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I hope you're right. It's interesting, I haven't thought much about Keefe lately, I probably am a typical fan in that sense - focus more on the obvious which is the players. I do know that our D has much improved since the minute he tool over so that's good but definitely interesting to hear your more detailed thoughts on him. Wouldn't it be something if after all these decades of failure, and all the hoards who have had their pitchforks out for years now and have been relentlessly mocking our rookie GM and rookie coach it turned out that they were both awesome and that they both stayed in their positions for another decade or two leading us to success after success!

Over the top optimistic? Sure but what the hell, the Christmas season is upon us so seems like an appropriate time to dream a little. :)

Hahaha, I've no concrete idea as to future success, but I do believe that one of the missing ingredients to this group of player's present success has been the lack of a team identity. People scream about the money spent on the top 4, they criticize the cap, worry about Marner/Nylander, will Matthews leave, JT is overpaid, etc...hockey is a team game, you lose as a team, you win as a team...bounces not withstanding. I've loved this team's talent level since the Nylander draft (Rielly and Kadri already in place), but I've not sensed a purpose of 'team'. That is changing, imo. Part of it is the maturation process, part of it is the 'luck' of getting Campbell (I do believe his joy in playing the game has been a positive infection to the team) and part of it is Keefe. Our coach is growing into being a benefit to the organization, not simply a tactical expression of the talent we have. He is expressing what 'team' success' is about. I haven't seen that here since Quinn.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
From what I've seen, this team has a lot of talent. From what I've seen, that talent has not presented as a team. I think that is changing. I think the Leafs are becoming a team. I think that Keefe is the first coach we've had in a long time who recognizes that aspect as being an important part of success. Win or lose, the Leafs are becoming a better team because of Keefe, he's forging a team, a group of players who will fight for each other, though out the lineup.

"We're.......we're a team" - Pierre Dorion

So glad to have the GM and coach that we do!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
B268F24D-82B4-4586-A6B8-2C9A624BC278.jpeg

Aged well

January 15th,2022

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs record since Keefe took over as head coach:

91-39-15 (.679, 4th best record in hockey) despite being a pretty beat-up team in terms of injury. Hope they go on a good run this postseason.

With that record either GM of the year or coach of the year nominations...why not?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

91-39-15 (.679, 4th best record in hockey) despite being a pretty beat-up team in terms of injury. Hope they go on a good run this postseason.

Leafs playoffs record since Keefe took over as head coach:

5 - 7 by game results, or 0-2 if we're going by series results. So pretty much the same as his predecessor, unless you care about "expected" wins as I assume we did better in that department. But then again, our opposition was much weaker so there's an argument to be made that if anything, our playoff performance has regressed under Keefe.

A good run this postseason would be awesome, it's been a while.

Reactions: Brad C

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Only 1pt behind Carolina for 3rd (both played 145gms) though the Leafs have 5 more regulation wins.

#3 in goals for per game
#9 in goals against per game

#2 in expected goals for per game
#6 in expected goals against per game

#13 in save percentage

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Leafs playoffs record since Keefe took over as head coach:

5 - 7 by game results, or 0-2 if we're going by series results. So pretty much the same as his predecessor, unless you care about "expected" wins as I assume we did better in that department. But then again, our opposition was much weaker so there's an argument to be made that if anything, our playoff performance has regressed under Keefe.

A good run this postseason would be awesome, it's been a while.

Just looking at coaching, every single thing we attribute to a head coach the Leafs have been top of the league in both the regular season and playoffs.

I mean, first-round losers Evason and Quenneville both got noms last season. I think some more support at the ground level will help our staff get the recognition they definitely deserve instead of trying to tear them down.

Only 1pt behind Carolina for 3rd (both played 145gms) though the Leafs have 5 more regulation wins.

#3 in goals for per game
#9 in goals against per game

#2 in expected goals for per game
#6 in expected goals against per game

#13 in save percentage

Thats a solid foundation to have for any team. Looking at the crazy erratic cap team Isles built on coaching and goaltending, it's insane that Lou won the GM of the year award the last two seasons looking at a team that's entering dumpster fire territory while still having top 3 goaltending numbers.

Reactions: zeke

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Islanders record since Jan. 1st 2020:

58-47-20 with a cap strapped team looking in need of a blow up.

.....and the GM of the year award has gone to no one else but a guy that created that created this team.

The NHL should probably try to shed it's old boys club routine.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just looking at coaching, every single thing we attribute to a head coach the Leafs have been top of the league in both the regular season and playoffs.

I mean, first-round losers Evason and Quenneville both got noms last season. I think some more support at the ground level will help our staff get the recognition they definitely deserve instead of trying to tear them down.

Thats a solid foundation to have for any team. Looking at the crazy erratic cap team Isles built on coaching and goaltending, it's insane that Lou won the GM of the year award the last two seasons looking at a team that's entering dumpster fire territory while still having top 3 goaltending numbers.

I get what you're saying about Lou and you're not wrong but on the other hand, IIRC they lost to the eventual cup winner two years in a row and if they win game 7 against TB, they probably win the cup. You could argue that they came closer to winning the cup than the Leafs have done in half a century and if they did win, nobody would be complaining about where they're at today. They took their shot, it didn't work out for them but they came pretty damn close and you have to respect that, at least a little bit. And as far as "every single thing we attribute to a head coach" being top of the league, there has been plenty of justifiable criticism directed at Keefe. The first thing that comes to mind is how our PP just died last year basically costing us the season, if that's not on the head coach then I don't know what is.

In any case, TBH I don't really care about "our staff getting recognition", I just want playoff success and I even dare to dream of winning it all one day so who gets nominated for this or that individual award is so far down my wish list, it honestly doesn't even register. But that's just me, if it matters to you then nothing wrong with that either.

Reactions: fahad203

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I get what you're saying about Lou and you're not wrong but on the other hand, IIRC they lost to the eventual cup winner two years in a row and if they win game 7 against TB, they probably win the cup. You could argue that they came closer to winning the cup than the Leafs have done in half a century and if they did win, nobody would be complaining about where they're at today. They took their shot, it didn't work out for them but they came pretty damn close and you have to respect that, at least a little bit. And as far as "every single thing we attribute to a head coach" being top of the league, there has been plenty of justifiable criticism directed at Keefe. The first thing that comes to mind is how our PP just died last year basically costing us the season, if that's not on the head coach then I don't know what is.

In any case, TBH I don't really care about "our staff getting recognition", I just want playoff success and I even dare to dream of winning it all one day so who gets nominated for this or that individual award is so far down my wish list, it honestly doesn't even register. But that's just me, if it matters to you then nothing wrong with that either.

Just looking at the big picture, there was a coaching shakeup on the PP side of things after a Jekyll and Hyde PP year (more Hyde in the playoffs for sure) and things look amazing since then but if you really care about winning, you have to recognize and keep the good things and not throw the baby out with the bathwater....and two big things to realize from last season is that a) The Habs were largely outplayed and got surprising MVP goaltending throughout the playoffs and b) The Leafs took more key injuries than almost any first-round team in memory. So before we can even analyze things, everyone should at least admit these things matter. People have a hard time with these things though despite the fact it would have sunk most teams, including Tampa in the first round last year. (I cant imagine a Tampa team getting outplayed by Florida would have survived 4 key players getting hurt/knocked out combined with Bobrovsky going elite)

It's hard for people to change their minds on anything right. It's like trying to point out that Hyman/Matthews/Marner were the best regular line in the playoffs on the team in every way including results even when compared with the Galchenyuk/Kerfoot/Nylander....but people still think the opposite and are so entrenched in the stances that even end result numbers wont change their minds.

All I know is that the Leafs are an excellently assembled well balanced team with a really good coach. I just want to see the Leafs stay healthy this playoff run and have the goaltending steal a game or two in the first round for a change. My memory is filled with big playoff saves from Potvin and Cujo and Belfour but I cant think of a big moment from a Leafs goalie the last 5 years. Some Carey Price and Korpisalo moments are there though......and thats the problem....my memories from big games are our goalies giving up soft goals and not being able to make the big saves.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I am not going to rave about a coach that's learning on the job

Allow me to also highlight some of his low points as some of you are glowing about his success
Apparently since he took over we are on 110 points pace, we are 3rd in wins

Although those are all true, under him his team has managed to embarras themselves last 2 playoffs
Losing series to Habs after being up 3 -1 and Columbus playing 5 games at home

I don't care if we are 3rd in wins, that our goals have come down or that we are better in standings. Playoffs wise he has been an utter disaster

Allow me to remind those who talk about his current success, this is the same coach that lost to a zamboni driver. Makign a mockery of a historic franchise

Considering the team he has given, he hasn't done much from a playoff success point of view

Also, some of you need to get of Lou's back. Last I checked his team played 44 playoff games last 2 years. I'll take that over a pretty boy good running organization appearence

Keefe reminds me of Dallas Eakins. Eventually he's going to be a great coach. But his tenure with the Leafs have been anything but successful considering what he has been given

Reactions: Enniskillen

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Just looking at the big picture, there was a coaching shakeup on the PP side of things after a Jekyll and Hyde PP year (more Hyde in the playoffs for sure) and things look amazing since then but if you really care about winning, you have to recognize and keep the good things and not throw the baby out with the bathwater....and two big things to realize from last season is that a) The Habs were largely outplayed and got surprising MVP goaltending throughout the playoffs and b) The Leafs took more key injuries than almost any first-round team in memory. So before we can even analyze things, everyone should at least admit these things matter. People have a hard time with these things though despite the fact it would have sunk most teams, including Tampa in the first round last year. (I cant imagine a Tampa team getting outplayed by Florida would have survived 4 key players getting hurt/knocked out combined with Bobrovsky going elite)

It's hard for people to change their minds on anything right. It's like trying to point out that Hyman/Matthews/Marner were the best regular line in the playoffs on the team in every way including results even when compared with the Galchenyuk/Kerfoot/Nylander....but people still think the opposite and are so entrenched in the stances that even end result numbers wont change their minds.

All I know is that the Leafs are an excellently assembled well balanced team with a really good coach. I just want to see the Leafs stay healthy this playoff run and have the goaltending steal a game or two in the first round for a change. My memory is filled with big playoff saves from Potvin and Cujo and Belfour but I cant think of a big moment from a Leafs goalie the last 5 years. Some Carey Price and Korpisalo moments are there though......and thats the problem....my memories from big games are our goalies giving up soft goals and not being able to make the big saves.

The Leafs took more key injuries than almost any first-round team in memory

Can you elaborate more on this?

I mean they did lose Tavares but thats the only player we were missing

Pens have constantly won with or without Malkin and Crosby
Lightings were without Stamkos

As important as Tavares is, we should have been able to beat a team when we were up 3 -1
Keefe was totally out coached and out classed. No getting sugar coating that

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Keefe really hasn't shown much as yet, I'd classify his tenure to date as ok.
An extended playoff run is going to be needed to change most peoples perception of his abilities.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just looking at the big picture, there was a coaching shakeup on the PP side of things after a Jekyll and Hyde PP year (more Hyde in the playoffs for sure) and things look amazing since then but if you really care about winning, you have to recognize and keep the good things and not throw the baby out with the bathwater....

I've never suggested we do this, what are you talking about?

and two big things to realize from last season is that a) The Habs were largely outplayed and got surprising MVP goaltending throughout the playoffs and b) The Leafs took more key injuries than almost any first-round team in memory. So before we can even analyze things, everyone should at least admit these things matter. People have a hard time with these things though despite the fact it would have sunk most teams, including Tampa in the first round last year. (I cant imagine a Tampa team getting outplayed by Florida would have survived 4 key players getting hurt/knocked out combined with Bobrovsky going elite)

This is completely wrong.

This is again completely wrong.

Not sure how logical it is to say the team is "excellently assembled" when you always seem to come back to goaltending for the reason we always lose in the playoffs. Vasi is the best goalie in the NHL and his team won the last two cups. Worth mentioning that the other team in the final last season was MTL who's best player was again, an elite goalie. We spend I believe over 40% of our cap space on 3 forwards who have pretty expected stats, pretty real numbers during the regular season but since that doesn't seem to help much in the playoffs, maybe we should consider the possibility that this team is anything but "excellently assembled" and perhaps the truth is that with an emphasis on offence that keeps failing in the playoffs, this team is not built for playoff success? We've been trying to disprove the cliches "build from the net out" and "defence wins championsips" by going a different route and so far we've been failing miserably.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are an very good regular season team but so far, it's far from clear that it's a team that can succeed in the playoffs. Our specialty seems to be making opposition goalies look uber elite and when this keeps happening year after year after year, one starts to wonder - it seems like a really big coincidence that we keep running into the hottest goalies in the NHL in the playoffs, maybe part of it is that we just make them look better than they really are?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The Leafs took more key injuries than almost any first-round team in memory

Can you elaborate more on this?

I mean they did lose Tavares but thats the only player we were missing

Pens have constantly won with or without Malkin and Crosby
Lightings were without Stamkos

As important as Tavares is, we should have been able to beat a team when we were up 3 -1
Keefe was totally out coached and out classed. No getting sugar coating that

Lost Tavares in the first period of the series
Lost their best playoff dman in Muzzin
Lost the big deadline pickup Foligno to limited minutes with a back injury.
It turned out Matthews was playing with a wrist that needed to be surgically repaired. This one is the big wildcard. He seemed to be able to get to those scoring areas but had problems finishing in the later season and into the playoffs.

Pens won with great playoff goalies and depth players coming through when they had injuries. The last 3 seasons, do you like Crosby captaining 3 consecutive upset losses in which Malkin did miss two games but it ended up with Crosby with 6 points in 14 games and Malkin 9 points in 12? I can actually defend these great player but using your mentality, Crosby was washed up at 30?

Lightning were without Stamkos two years ago yea but they still had all the rest of their stars and got MVP goaltending the last two years. Thats not like losing Stamkos, McDonaugh, losing their big deadline pickup Savard and then having Kucherov or Point (hard to really compare Matthews) playing on a bad wrist and then turning Bobrovsky into a playoff MVP goalie in front of them. Florida in 5 or 6?

Thinking Toronto got outplayed or outcoached is the reason why both the Jackets and Habs completely blew up not long after their miracle runs. If you cant be humble enough to realize you got lucky, you're gonna pay the Price....

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
This is completely wrong.

Name a recent comparable team

This is again completely wrong.

Why?

Not sure how logical it is to say the team is "excellently assembled" when you always seem to come back to goaltending for the reason we always lose in the playoffs. Vasi is the best goalie in the NHL and his team won the last two cups. Worth mentioning that the other team in the final last season was MTL who's best player was again, an elite goalie. We spend I believe over 40% of our cap space on 3 forwards who have pretty expected stats, pretty real numbers during the regular season but since that doesn't seem to help much in the playoffs, maybe we should consider the possibility that this team is anything but "excellently assembled" and perhaps the truth is that with an emphasis on offence that keeps failing in the playoffs, this team is not built for playoff success? We've been trying to disprove the cliches "build from the net out" and "defence wins championsips" by going a different route and so far we've been failing miserably.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are an very good regular season team but so far, it's far from clear that it's a team that can succeed in the playoffs. Our specialty seems to be making opposition goalies look uber elite and when this keeps happening year after year after year, one starts to wonder - it seems like a really big coincidence that we keep running into the hottest goalies in the NHL in the playoffs, maybe part of it is that we just make them look better than they really are?

I'm not looking for elite goaltending, hell, I'm looking for a goalie that can at least make a big save when it counts and doesnt give me the Allen Bester special to break the ice in the biggest game of the year. Allen Bester himself was probably cringing at that.

It wasnt just us making the goalies look elite, it was every other team in the playoffs as well. It would be easier if it was just us.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lost Tavares in the first period of the series
Lost their best playoff dman in Muzzin
Lost the big deadline pickup Foligno to limited minutes with a back injury.
It turned out Matthews was playing with a wrist that needed to be surgically repaired. This one is the big wildcard. He seemed to be able to get to those scoring areas but had problems finishing in the later season and into the playoffs.

Pens won with great playoff goalies and depth players coming through when they had injuries. The last 3 seasons, do you like Crosby captaining 3 consecutive upset losses in which Malkin did miss two games but it ended up with Crosby with 6 points in 14 games and Malkin 9 points in 12? I can actually defend these great player but using your mentality, Crosby was washed up at 30?

Lightning were without Stamkos two years ago yea but they still had all the rest of their stars and got MVP goaltending the last two years. Thats not like losing Stamkos, McDonaugh, losing their big deadline pickup Savard and then having Kucherov or Point (hard to really compare Matthews) playing on a bad wrist and then turning Bobrovsky into a playoff MVP goalie in front of them. Florida in 5 or 6?

Thinking Toronto got outplayed or outcoached is the reason why both the Jackets and Habs completely blew up not long after their miracle runs. If you cant be humble enough to realize you got lucky, you're gonna pay the Price....
we may never win a round but we win the excuse cup every year , lol

how about we start a thread to come up with some new and creative excuses if we get knocked out early again since you can only use" their goalie outplayed ours" for so many use

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Keefe really hasn't shown much as yet, I'd classify his tenure to date as ok.
An extended playoff run is going to be needed to change most peoples perception of his abilities.

I think having the best win% of any Leafs coach in history is decent but you are right in that he needs playoffs wins to get some real cred from the hometown fans.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
we may never win a round but we win the excuse cup every year , lol

how about we start a thread to come up with some new and creative excuses if we get knocked out early again since you can only use" their goalie outplayed ours" for so many use

If you badly outplay your opponent and get outgoalied what else are we supposed to call it?

Campbell literally won the "anti-clutch" award for having the lowest high danger save% of any regular keeper in the first round last season after being great with it during the regular season. How do we fix that? He's been mostly great again this year and certainly we should roll with him but all the team can do is play their best and hopefully stay healthy. I really want to see a Leafs goalie outplay the other one. It hasnt happened since Belfour! Jeezus.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think having the best win% of any Leafs coach in history is decent but you are right in that he needs playoffs wins to get some real cred from the hometown fans.
Best win% is more the ideal circumstance he found himself in than his ability, IMO. He and Dubas did walk into a pretty sweet situation that not many are gifted. Perhaps he is the greatest coach in Leaf history, we'll know better in a few months.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If you badly outplay your opponent and get outgoalied what else are we supposed to call it?

Campbell literally won the "anti-clutch" award for having the lowest high danger save% of any regular keeper in the first round last season after being great with it during the regular season. How do we fix that?
He's been mostly great again this year and certainly we should roll with him but all the team can do is play their best and hopefully stay healthy. I really want to see a Leafs goalie outplay the other one. It hasnt happened since Belfour! Jeezus.
as far as Campbell last year and Andy the year before letting us down , how abut we score a few f***ing goals ? how about our 11m dollar Captain being able to score into an empty net in the deciding game against the Jackets ? and lets stop acting like our goalies haven't won us a game or have a gaa of 5 in the playoffs

Reactions: zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
as far as Campbell last year and Andy the year before letting us down , how abut we score a few f***ing goals ? how about our 11m dollar Captain being able to score into an empty net in the deciding game against the Jackets ? and lets stop acting like our goalies haven't won us a game or have a gaa of 5 in the playoffs

Yep. The best players simply have to score and take the pressure off the rest of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad