Sheldon Keefe Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
only way dubas or keefe get fired is if leafs miss the playoffs. Shanny is here for the long term, regardless what happens this year.
if babcock gets at least three years to make out of the first round, keefe should atleast get two years IMO.

I don't know about that, if the Leafs go down in round 1 again I could see heads rolling

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
All first time head coaches need to gain experience. How can you not understand something simple like that?
What do we have with this guy? All we know is the team was great with the "new coach high". But from January to the end of the season the team had 14 wins in 30 games.

"But our goalies just suck" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

"But our coach was just inexperienced" doesn't either.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
And Babcock was fired for it. 2 years later, rookie coach, same results. Similar lame excuses.

Mao fully agreed. If Babcock and Lou deserved firing for lack of playoff success with that VERY young team, then Dubas and Keefe deserve a firing even more so with anything less than a solid playoff series win this year.

Lou wasn't fired. He was not re signed as part of the initial agreement that he would come on board to rite the ship and walk away.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Everyone one is healthy now for the most part. Who’s the best team in Canada about to be answered :). I want the bragging rights. I don’t care if its a shootout win difference. This team has to want it as much as fans do. I think they will be best in the country.…. The injuries we had are no excuse, they hurt us to a degree that other teams didn’t live.
Injuries are only looked at as a minimized thing on this board. They are real.
Injuries are true for every team.
Losers lean on them as an excuse.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Injuries are true for every team.
Losers lean on them as an excuse.
I don’t agree with your harshness. Injuries make teams less competitive. Thats just the way it is. Being frustrated by injuries as a player is perfectly normal. Thats not being a loser. Keefe never leaned on the injuries ever so thats cool

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I do think its strange how quickly folks think firings will happen. Take a look around the league at how long other front offices stay in place despite their teams dwelling in mediocrity.

Theyre definitely not firing a coach after 1.5 seasons on the job. Especially in a covid era with back to back wonky seasons

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
What do we have with this guy? All we know is the team was great with the "new coach high". But from January to the end of the season the team had 14 wins in 30 games.

"But our goalies just suck" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

"But our coach was just inexperienced" doesn't either.
Why is it so hard for people to understand the reason we sputtered after the hot start under Keefe was due to half our defense including our 2 best being injured and our starting goalie played his worst hockey of his career?

You used the lightning winning without Stamkos as an example which isn't even close to the same situation. That's 1 player and Point is a 1C. They are also stacked 4 lines deep and were also stacked on defense who were healthy. Lets compare.
Sergachev Hedman
Cernak McDonagh
Schenn Shattenkirk
Bogosian Coburn

To

Dermott Barrie
Sandin Marincin
Liljegren Holl

How many games do you expect a team to win with 2 rookie defensemen, Martin Marincin playing heavy minutes in the top 4 and your starting goalie playing at something like an .870 sv%. If we had a full healthy squad, my guess is our record would have been closer to our hot streak than our cold streak. Saying every team has injuries is crap. Not every team is missing 3 of their 6D and 2 top6 forwards all at the same time.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Why is it so hard for people to understand the reason we sputtered after the hot start under Keefe was due to half our defense including our 2 best being injured and our starting goalie played his worst hockey of his career?

You used the lightning winning without Stamkos as an example which isn't even close to the same situation. That's 1 player and Point is a 1C. They are also stacked 4 lines deep and were also stacked on defense who were healthy. Lets compare.
Sergachev Hedman
Cernak McDonagh
Schenn Shattenkirk
Bogosian Coburn

To

Dermott Barrie
Sandin Marincin
Liljegren Holl

How many games do you expect a team to win with 2 rookie defensemen, Martin Marincin playing heavy minutes in the top 4 and your starting goalie playing at something like an .870 sv%. If we had a full healthy squad, my guess is our record would have been closer to our hot streak than our cold streak. Saying every team has injuries is crap. Not every team is missing 3 of their 6D and 2 top6 forwards all at the same time.
Just quoted to say it was basically 3 rookie defensemen as Holl was pretty much a rookie himself. Playing in only 13 NHL games before last season.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yeah it starts with Shanny as he gets Cliff's old advisor job to advise da new GUY then new guy picks his OWN guys

Fletcher was only (interim) GM in comparison though. Do you think Shanahan would accept going from his current role to advisor? Would the team want to retain him for that if they were looking to replace him?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Sergachev Hedman
Cernak McDonagh
Schenn Shattenkirk
Bogosian Coburn

To

Dermott Barrie
Sandin Marincin
Liljegren Holl

Good post
I was kind of going there along this line earlier with much less information. It’s just true the injuries and Freddy going south caused a bit of mess. I hope they stay healthy so we can all get to see this teams full potential with this new roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad