Player Discussion Shea Weber: The Big C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We’ve been hearing since he got here that he’s gonna slow down, he’s gonna slow down......the only player that’s slowed down is the player he was traded for who gets paid more.

this contract is Honey, Weber’s play will allow him to play well into his late 30’s, if anything, he’s getting better.

I've always thought this was a questionable trade but never thought one guy was substantially better than the other. Can't wait for the book to be written about that story line in the future.

Curious, would you engage on Hall/Subban for Petry/+++ type trade talks? Lets say Hall with an extension... 7 years at $9M. The approach would be we get credit value in the Subban/Petry swap and it reduces the Hall price slightly?

I'd take Subban back for 3 years at $9M. Imagine the energy we have with both Subban and Weber? Still think Subban would be overpaid but I do believe he is a better option with us than Petry in the 2/3 year term.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If I were you I'd be careful using that emoji, I heard its really offensive in 2019. Vegans take it the wrong way. ;)

I'm doubling down on it... The sensitive ones can cry me a river and I'll blow up my inflatable boat and ride the current.

Read this the other day and thought it was spot on... Freedom of speech has taken a back seat or gone backwards while political correctness and social media cancer culture has taken leaps forward. The only issue I have is bullying and physical abuse

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I've always thought this was a questionable trade but never thought one guy was substantially better than the other. Can't wait for the book to be written about that story line in the future.

Curious, would you engage on Hall/Subban for Petry/+++ type trade talks? Lets say Hall with an extension... 7 years at $9M. The approach would be we get credit value in the Subban/Petry swap and it reduces the Hall price slightly?

I'd take Subban back for 3 years at $9M. Imagine the energy we have with both Subban and Weber? Still think Subban would be overpaid but I do believe he is a better option with us than Petry in the 2/3 year term.

Why would you take PK back and give up Petry? PK is probably one of the most overpaid players now, he has dropped off a cliff. 5 points this season in 26 games and -11.

One of the top worst contracts in the league. And I don't see a magical turn around for the guy.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I'm doubling down on it... The sensitive ones can cry me a river and I'll blow up my inflatable boat and ride the current.

Read this the other day and thought it was spot on... Freedom of speech has taken a back seat or gone backwards while political correctness and social media cancer culture has taken leaps forward. The only issue I have is bullying and physical abuse

Yeah its pretty accurate. So is playing on identity politics and then complain when groups with far left or far right agendas start to get traction.

When RBO made a video back in the days called :"le hockey des aveugles" . the first group to endorse what they did were blind people. They said it described their reality in a funny way and that may help people be more sensible to that reality they go through everyday.

We are so far from there now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would you take PK back and give up Petry? PK is probably one of the most overpaid players now, he has dropped off a cliff. 5 points this season in 26 games and -11.

One of the top worst contracts in the league. And I don't see a magical turn around for the guy.

Cause I believe Subban would give us more production in 3 years than Petry in 2 even if Subban makes a lot more. I'd be willing to chew up the cap space in the short term to be able to add Subban and Hall for Petry+++ (Byron being one of the +). I do believe everything fits the cap so that won't be an issue of mine. And I am not on the bandwagon that Subban is toast. He's trending low and nobody is expecting him to trend high again. I don't think that way towards him.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Markov was way slower in 2017 and most people wanted him re-signed

He is slower but he also rarely put himself in a situation where he was getting beat like Weber does.... perhaps I have rose colored glasses on for the General?

Markov was slower, but more positional-ly sound if I am recalling correctly. perhaps it is the rose colored glasses :dunno:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is slower but he also rarely put himself in a situation where he was getting beat like Weber does.... perhaps I have rose colored glasses on for the General?

Markov was slower, but more positional-ly sound if I am recalling correctly. perhaps it is the rose colored glasses :dunno:

Markov played with either Subban or Petry though. I do agree that Markov did lose foot speed but his hockey IQ was high and he worked around it effectively. Sometimes I wonder if people are looking for flaws only with some players at times. The whole Subban/Weber debate on how things were exaggerated from both angles was dumb. It's still happening today to some degree.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Cause I believe Subban would give us more production in 3 years than Petry in 2 even if Subban makes a lot more. I'd be willing to chew up the cap space in the short term to be able to add Subban and Hall for Petry+++ (Byron being one of the +). I do believe everything fits the cap so that won't be an issue of mine. And I am not on the bandwagon that Subban is toast. He's trending low and nobody is expecting him to trend high again. I don't think that way towards him.

Petry is having a bad year this year and is out producing PK, so good luck on getting better production.

9 million on PK, 9 Million or so on Hall( I assume you want to resign him) along with Webers 7.8 and Prices 10.5, perfect way to replicate the Devils horrible strategy.

PK's contract is horrible at this point. Maybe a miracle happens and he turns it around next year but to much risk to take on that cap hit.

I would entertain a PK for Alzner swap if NJ is interested LOL.

PK boat has sailed its time to move on, NASH made the smart move of dumping him for some picks earlier this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry is having a bad year this year and is out producing PK, so good luck on getting better production.

9 million on PK, 9 Million or so on Hall( I assume you want to resign him) along with Webers 7.8 and Prices 10.5, perfect way to replicate the Devils horrible strategy.

PK's contract is horrible at this point. Maybe a miracle happens and he turns it around next year but to much risk to take on that cap hit.

I would entertain a PK for Alzner swap if NJ is interested LOL.

PK boat has sailed its time to move on, NASH made the smart move of dumping him for some picks earlier this year.

Call me crazy but I would take Subban/Hall with extension for Petry, Byron, +++. I do believe Subban gives us better production in his 3 years left. Cap space don't matter to me cause once Subban's contract ends, Weber is likely off the books too. That's a huge space that opened up and right around the time extra revenue comes from Seattle and the new TV deal. And right around the time we would have to pay the kids or whoever shines from our prospects today. The timing would be right IMO

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Call me crazy but I would take Subban/Hall with extension for Petry, Byron, +++. I do believe Subban gives us better production in his 3 years left. Cap space don't matter to me cause once Subban's contract ends, Weber is likely off the books too. That's a huge space that opened up and right around the time extra revenue comes from Seattle and the new TV deal. And right around the time we would have to pay the kids or whoever shines from our prospects today. The timing would be right IMO

Well I just don't have as much faith in PK as you do. I don't see him bouncing back after back 2 back subpar years in his 30's. The team would be wasting 9 Million on the cap.

Hall+PK for Byron+Alzner maybe I have some interest since we dump Alzners contract. But PK could be going to Alzner levels. Would you want 9 million on the 3rd pair or sitting in the AHL?

PK isn't the same PK that left here, it seems that guy is long gone. MB doesn't need to waste more cap space on nostalgia.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I read someone on hear write that Subban passed the eye test. All I can say to that is WTF are you watching
He’s slow AF. He can’t generate any offence
Stop living in the past. Oh and he’a not even close to Petry let alone Weber

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well I just don't have as much faith in PK as you do. I don't see him bouncing back after back 2 back subpar years in his 30's. The team would be wasting 9 Million on the cap.

Hall+PK for Byron+Alzner maybe I have some interest since we dump Alzners contract. But PK could be going to Alzner levels. Would you want 9 million on the 3rd pair or sitting in the AHL?

PK isn't the same PK that left here, it seems that guy is long gone. MB doesn't need to waste more cap space on nostalgia.

With all due respect, I think it's premature to write off Subban so quick.

- Age 28: Matched a personal best in career production
- Age 29: 31 pts in 63 games with 9 goals in prorated to 40 pts and 12 goals.
- Age 30: New team that has fell flat on their face.

Overpaid yes, but the talent is still there IMO. I can see a rebound year from him in the right situation

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I read someone on hear write that Subban passed the eye test. All I can say to that is WTF are you watching
He’s slow AF. He can’t generate any offence
Stop living in the past. Oh and he’a not even close to Petry let alone Weber

Take you Belittle Hero Cap off. Haven't you learned anything yet with exaggeration and being premature? Subban is playing on a new team and the results are not as expected for the Devils this year. The entire team is not generating the offense that some predicted.

"Slow AF". You make it sound like he is Alzner out there :laugh:

From what I have watched with Subban, the talent is still there and maybe the skating is not elite level anymore. Overpaid yes, but don't exaggerate that to astronomical levels.

Bookmark this post... I bet you he has several good seasons from 31-35 age range. I remember people evaluating Giroux when he was trending low like they new the future for sure with only one outcome. Same way you are evaluating Subban right now.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Take you Belittle Hero Cap off. Haven't you learned anything yet with exaggeration and being premature? Subban is playing on a new team and the results are not as expected for the Devils this year. The entire team is not generating the offense that some predicted.

"Slow AF". You make it sound like he is Alzner out there :laugh:

From what I have watched with Subban, the talent is still there and maybe the skating is not elite level anymore. Overpaid yes, but don't exaggerate that to astronomical levels.

Bookmark this post... I bet you he has several good seasons from 31-35 age range. I remember people evaluating Giroux when he was trending low like they new the future for sure with only one outcome. Same way you are evaluating Subban right now.
Alzner maybe faster...
Subban is fat. He can barely move
I’ll take that bet anytime He’s on the downside of his career. Not sure if hockey is even important to him anymore
He’s a number 3 dman at the most.
The new team thing didn’t Matter when he went to Nashville, did it??
He was just insulated with 2 Dmen that were better than he was
You can argue your point all the way Subban is no longer an all star and never will be again

it’s like you think your opinion is the bible. Dude your just a fan on HF Boards. You’re not a pro scout.
Get off of your High horse.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o

You never had faith in Subban and never fail to shit on him. Your opinion of him is clearly biased. I thought this was the Weber thread and we weren't supposed to discuss Subban.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
With all due respect, I think it's premature to write off Subban so quick.

- Age 28: Matched a personal best in career production
- Age 29: 31 pts in 63 games with 9 goals in prorated to 40 pts and 12 goals.
- Age 30: New team that has fell flat on their face.

Overpaid yes, but the talent is still there IMO. I can see a rebound year from him in the right situation
No it's not. he's fading fast. Overpaid too.
Plus he's more about social media and his image.
I hope we never entertain the idea of bringing him back.

Reactions: feds91

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We’ve been hearing since he got here that he’s gonna slow down, he’s gonna slow down......the only player that’s slowed down is the player he was traded for who gets paid more.

this contract is Honey, Weber’s play will allow him to play well into his late 30’s, if anything, he’s getting better.
Weber did slow down, and Petry has been the #1 guy for most of the season.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Weber did slow down, and Petry has been the #1 guy for most of the season.

It's funny cause Petry started the season and was playing much better than Weber in the first 10 games lets say (guess). But lately, Weber is the #1D and Petry is the one struggling. We need to stop using zoomed in sample sizes. Weber is not slowing down. You have been saying this for 4 years now and maybe in year 6, you will be eventually right.

Forget about the LD, Petry is the one struggling the most lately. Is he mentally exhausted? Not sure. Don't know why but something tells me Bergevin has asked him for his 15 teams no trade list and he is shopping him to some degree to feel out the market.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's funny cause Petry started the season and was playing much better than Weber in the first 10 games lets say (guess). But lately, Weber is the #1D and Petry is the one struggling. We need to stop using zoomed in sample sizes. Weber is not slowing down. You have been saying this for 4 years now and maybe in year 6, you will be eventually right.

Forget about the LD, Petry is the one struggling the most lately. Is he mentally exhausted? Not sure. Don't know why but something tells me Bergevin has asked him for his 15 teams no trade list and he is shopping him to some degree to feel out the market.
If you dont think Weber slowed down, you never watched him in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad