Player Discussion Shea Weber: The Big C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Weber did slow down, and Petry has been the #1 guy for most of the season.
I hope you know that just by saying something doesn't make it so. Maybe if you look at some hockey stats, you'll see that Weber is not only the best D on the Habs but still top ten in the league.

BTW, Petry was the #1 D for a handful of games and then reverted to his norm. I can't believe you would bring up Petry as a #1 after the atrocious month of play he has had. I would argue that Chiarot has played better than Petry the past month.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I hope you know that just by saying something doesn't make it so. Maybe if you look at some hockey stats, you'll see that Weber is not only the best D on the Habs but still top ten in the league.

BTW, Petry was the #1 D for a handful of games and then reverted to his norm. I can't believe you would bring up Petry as a #1 after the atrocious month of play he has had. I would argue that Chiarot has played better than Petry the past month.
Cool...so we should look at Petry's bad month but not Weber's horrible start, his rather lame finish last season, and the fact he's often been injured the past few seasons. Got it. And saying he's slowed down compared to his prime must be lunacy..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think it's more Weber not having a good partner. He's been playing great but at his age I don't think he can do everything all by himself.

He had this luxury during his prime
Yes, hence, he ''slowed down''. Once upon a time, he could have carried anybody.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Cool...so we should look at Petry's bad month but not Weber's horrible start, his rather lame finish last season, and the fact he's often been injured the past few seasons. Got it. And saying he's slowed down compared to his prime must be lunacy..
Nope. Untouchable.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
If this is what slowing down looks like for Weber then I'm completely fine with it.

If I take the middle of two numbers, the pts and the +, he's 10,5 among the ds of nhl.
First pairing of d comes by two, so he's 10th on 62 first pairing of ds.
He is on the good thier of ds.
And he's 2nd in pure goals.

I'm fine with that.
And fastest slap of the league, second best nhl one timer after Oveshkin.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You never had faith in Subban and never fail to **** on him. Your opinion of him is clearly biased. I thought this was the Weber thread and we weren't supposed to discuss Subban.

May all be true but doesn't change the fact that PK's been on the downhill for last season and this season (of a cliff). I give him his props for his first 2 years in Nash, especially the 2nd where he got norris noms, but since then its been like someone trying to skate up hill. Anyone who doesn't see that is biased.

But this will be my last post on PK in here since it is the Weber thread. I only brought it up in response to the poster who said they would trade for PK. MB adding another 9 Million on the back end is not the solution unless they take back Chariot and Alzner to even it out. (And I actually like Chariot so personally I wouldn't even do Chariot for PK straight up). But if you really want 17 million tied up in Alzner/PK/Chariot on this team not sure what to tell you.

Reactions: feds91 and jaffy27

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I can agree Weber has "slowed" down in the sense that he isn't the same guy he was at 26 years old, but most players would love to "slow" down like Weber.

Maybe he cant do everything he could do when he was in his mid twenties, but he adjust his game and has managed to be having one of his best seasons maybe ever production wise. Its kinda like how Markov "slowed" down after coming back from knee surgery. Ya maybe he wasn't as fast as when he was 25/26, but Markov was still one hell of a Dman in 2012/2013/2014.

Ill take this slowed down Weber anyday of the week.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Nope. Untouchable.
WindingPresentKitfox-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: jaffy27

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You’re talking mobility, I’m talking production
I'm talking general performance, not nitpicking whatever fits my narrative.
Looking at his entire performance, yes, he's slowed down. He is no longer prime Weber. Not sure why that's difficult for some to admit.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He is head and shoulders better than the player we gave up to get Weber him. In no way is Weber a problem for this team. On the contrary, he is one of the few bright spots. The problem with this team is that we have a GM that does not have any idea of how to build. You might want to direct your bile and criticism in that direction.

Reactions: feds91

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Looking at his entire performance, yes, he's slowed down. He is no longer prime Weber. Not sure why that's difficult for some to admit.

You might want to take a look at what @DangerDave posted. If those stats are of a player that has slowed down, then give me more.
If this is what slowing down looks like for Weber then I'm completely fine with it.

Reactions: jaffy27

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He is head and shoulders better than the player we gave up to get Weber him. In no way is Weber a problem for this team. On the contrary, he is one of the few bright spots. The problem with this team is that we have a GM that does not have any idea of how to build. You might want to direct your bile and criticism in that direction.
Who cares about Subban?
Never said Weber was a problem.
I said he slowed down in relations to his prime.
Only in Mtl is suggesting a man going on 35 to have lost a step is somehow a controversial topic.

Reactions: Pickles

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But he’s ahead of Petry regardless.
He wasnt for at least half the season so far, and he isnt averaging more time either, albeit almost identical.
But hey, Habs board..so..in typical fashion, good month matters more than how he started/ finished last year/suffered injuries over past few seasons.
Let's see by the end of the season where Weber sits.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
It seems historically, and maybe I am wrong, that d-men in this age group have a good early going of some sort but when the going gets tough and we get more into the season then the wear and tear starts to show.

Weber got off to a shaky start. He has had a good November. I'll hold my complete evaluation until after the playoffs. I mean with Weber playing lights out the Habs are going to make it, right?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So your argument is that he slowed down from the time he was 26??.......well holy shit, stop the press, this is ground breaking stuff....who knew a player who ages would actually start slowing down.

pibots, straight out speed and laterals, yes, he’s slowed down at a snails pace, but the general outlook on this player after his acquisition was that he’d fall off a cliff well before the guy he was traded for which has been proven false.

Weber’s “Slowing down” has had no effect on his defensive play nor has it had effect on his offensive production. Begs the question, who cares if he’s lost 4mph of acceleration right?

Saying he’s slowed down since he was 26 and advertising this is your pillar for debate is laughable coming from all angles.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
May all be true but doesn't change the fact that PK's been on the downhill for last season and this season (of a cliff). I give him his props for his first 2 years in Nash, especially the 2nd where he got norris noms, but since then its been like someone trying to skate up hill. Anyone who doesn't see that is biased.

But this will be my last post on PK in here since it is the Weber thread. I only brought it up in response to the poster who said they would trade for PK. MB adding another 9 Million on the back end is not the solution unless they take back Chariot and Alzner to even it out. (And I actually like Chariot so personally I wouldn't even do Chariot for PK straight up). But if you really want 17 million tied up in Alzner/PK/Chariot on this team not sure what to tell you.
I'm not denying those facts about PK what I said was you never had faith in the man. You never gave him props or respect when he was in his prime or when he was a member of the Habs. If you did I might of missed it but I doubt you ever did. Whenever Pk is brought up I can always count on you shitting on him. I think we all know your stance on the guy.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Who cares about Subban?
Never said Weber was a problem.
I said he slowed down in relations to his prime.
Only in Mtl is suggesting a man going on 35 to have lost a step is somehow a controversial topic.
You mustn't say anything remotely critical of Weber or say the T word. on these boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad