Player Discussion Shea Weber: The Big C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So your argument is that he slowed down from the time he was 26??.......well holy ****, stop the press, this is ground breaking stuff....who knew a player who ages would actually start slowing down.

pibots, straight out speed and laterals, yes, he’s slowed down at a snails pace, but the general outlook on this player after his acquisition was that he’d fall off a cliff well before the guy he was traded for which has been proven false.

Weber’s “Slowing down” has had no effect on his defensive play nor has it had effect on his offensive production. Begs the question, who cares if he’s lost 4mph of acceleration right?

Saying he’s slowed down since he was 26 and advertising this is your pillar for debate is laughable coming from all angles.
Yes..duh. What else is used to set the standard? his rookie season? his previous season? Or maybe we can look at his year where he barely played and suggest Weber is surging!...
Every time people talk about decline, the base of that observation is the prime years. Duh.

Also, you're using a small streak for now. Let's see how he does to finish the year, he was quite terrible over the first 10~15 games, apparently that's forgotten and he's back to being super Weber now. Let's see if he can keep this up.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
You’re talking mobility, I’m talking production
I've got to give you this one. With the trade we gained goals, but we lost in puck-moving. Im sure you'd agree : we all remember PK's passes right on the tape to a guy at the opp. blue-line. Subban knew how to tear apart the neutral zone, not unlike what Markov would do too.

But as for production, I'd take Weber. He's way smarter in the offensive zone. What we lost in transition, we gained in actual goals on the scoresheet. He's just so dangerous out there. He takes smart, efficient decisions + can unleash the bomb at every moment.

Now saying this doesnt exclude that we shouldve adressed the puck moving aspect of the defensive squad. The best way to defend is still getting out of your zone and get back quickly on offense. No need to block shots or make saves if the opponent has to back-check because the play is now going the other way. I think Mete has this ability, but not to at an elite-level... You have to keep looking for it. We need a QB on defense, we deeply miss Markov.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm not denying those facts about PK what I said was you never had faith in the man. You never gave him props or respect when he was in his prime or when he was a member of the Habs. If you did I might of missed it but I doubt you ever did. Whenever Pk is brought up I can always count on you ****ting on him. I think we all know your stance on the guy.

I would say thats wrong. I did give him props for his years here, especially talking about his 2014 season where he had I think a career year for points (also mentioned guys like Max and Markov). I just don't ball wash PK and didn't think the trade was the worst thing to happen to the habs since the Roy trade.

I also said he had 2 good years in Nash especially year 2 where he got Norris noms and his playoff run.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I've got to give you this one. With the trade we gained goals, but we lost in puck-moving. Im sure you'd agree : we all remember PK's passes right on the tape to a guy at the opp. blue-line. Subban knew how to tear apart the neutral zone, not unlike what Markov would do too.

But as for production, I'd take Weber. He's way smarter in the offensive zone. What we lost in transition, we gained in actual goals on the scoresheet. He's just so dangerous out there. He takes smart, efficient decisions + can unleash the bomb at every moment.

Now saying this doesnt exclude that we shouldve adressed the puck moving aspect of the defensive squad. The best way to defend is still getting out of your zone and get back quickly on offense. No need to block shots or make saves if the opponent has to back-check because the play is now going the other way. I think Mete has this ability, but not to at an elite-level... You have to keep looking for it. We need a QB on defense, we deeply miss Markov.
Good post but to add to it. What we also get with Weber is the big crunch into the boards when the team needs it , or to punish some guy in the crease.

Reactions: cphabs and Toene

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Needed someone to answer for KK last night. Did he?
It's pretty bad these days in hockey. No answer to what would have before instigated a brawl. Now for a sliver of rationalization maybe it wasnt clear to the Canadiens players that it was a "slew leg".
Nevertheless, the lack of reaction is telling.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
It's pretty bad these days in hockey. No answer to what would have before instigated a brawl. Now for a sliver of rationalization maybe it wasnt clear to the Canadiens players that it was a "slew leg".
Nevertheless, the lack of reaction is telling.

So specifically, he completely did not do the thing for which you were lauding him.

No bug crunching hit, no intimidation, zero response.

Reactions: Pickles and cphabs

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
So specifically, he completely did not do the thing for which you were lauding him.

No one gives a crap in this team.

This is what happens when you build your team by "winning trades"...you get players who don't care about the city or the club...you get a team full of mercenaries.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
No one gives a crap in this team.

This is what happens when you build your team by "winning trades"...you get players who don't care about the city or the club...you get a team full of mercenaries.
Shit flows down hill.

Reactions: Tighthead

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Needed someone to answer for KK last night. Did he?
So Weber was suppose to instigate a fight....that’s great!!

2min instigation
5min fighting
10min misconduct

17mins off the ice, put Colorado on the PP when you basically only have 3 Defenceman.....that’s brilliant!!!!

then we can blame Weber all night on how he cost us the game lol

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Just so I’m clear, you guys expect Weber to rush down the ice after a legal hit and smash the guy that laid the hit? Or maybe take a cheap shot at a star AVs player? Just want to be clear, cause next time our guy crunches someone else you will be ok with a player on the other team going after him? What year is it?

Lets be honest you guys are just using the KK hit to take a shot at Weber. He has NEVER been known for, or played, that type of game. That type of game really doesn’t even exist anymore.

Weber plays hard nosed physical hockey- he took a shot right to the face for f***s sake and didn’t miss a shift tonight. But he is not going to instigate a fight or spear someone because one of our guys took a big hit and went for a fluke ride.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Just so I’m clear, you guys expect Weber to rush down the ice after a legal hit and smash the guy that laid the hit? Or maybe take a cheap shot at a star AVs player? Just want to be clear, cause next time our guy crunches someone else you will be ok with a player on the other team going after him? What year is it?

Lets be honest you guys are just using the KK hit to take a shot at Weber. He has NEVER been known for, or played, that type of game. That type of game really doesn’t even exist anymore.

Weber plays hard nosed physical hockey- he took a shot right to the face for ****s sake and didn’t miss a shift tonight. But he is not going to instigate a fight or spear someone because one of our guys took a big hit and went for a fluke ride.

Nobody has said that, so to be clear you are being disingenuous.

Why not one of his patented legal hits we always hear about? Who mentioned a spear? Quote someone please and thanks.

What specifically, and be detailed, does the puck to the face have to do with playing physical hockey? Nobody disputes he is tough, but pain tolerance has nothing to do with intimidating the other team.

Isn’t his mere presence supposed to be enough to stop opposing players in their tracks? Let’s be honest, that’s all folklore.

He is a great player but his actual physical play doesn’t nearly equal his reputation.

You are just using this as an opportunity to take offence and have a tantrum. Follow his lead and harden the f*** up.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Why not one of his patented legal hits we always hear about? Who mentioned a spear? Quote someone please and thanks.

What specifically, and be detailed, does the puck to the face have to do with playing physical hockey? Nobody disputes he is tough, but pain tolerance has nothing to do with intimidating the other team.

Isn’t his mere presence supposed to be enough to stop opposing players in their tracks? Let’s be honest, that’s all folklore.

He is a great player but his actual physical play doesn’t nearly equal his reputation.

You are just using this as an opportunity to take offence and have a tantrum. Follow his lead and harden the f*** up.
He intimidates The opposition with his shot, that’s his main weapon, and everyone knows about it, it ain’t no myth......and how many times have we seen him stiff arm the opponent.....dozens of times, sends them flying, and he’s had his fair share of heavy bone crushing hits with Montreal, Weber brings it all except beat you with speed, instead, he neutralizes you with his smarts.

The folklore originated here and was meant to ridicule Weber who was traded for the fading Subban. The death stares and intimidation by sight was born, bread and kept alive at HF, man mountain was a launching pad for sarcasm.

Nope, Weber leads by taking pucks to the face and going right back out there, by facing the media, playing on broken feet, scoring big goals and being a pillar on the backend.

Maybe you already know all this, just thought I’d remind posters who forget.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

He was physical that whole game. Not sure how much you’ve followed his career but he has never laid out guys with big hits. Anyone saying otherwise is ignorant. He is exactly what his reputation said he was, tough hard nosed guy that is hard to play against.

And this is just stupid:

“Isn’t his mere presence supposed to be enough to stop opposing players in their tracks? Let’s be honest, that’s all folklore.”

No shit shit its not real. It doesn’t even make sense. He had a reputation for stopping other players on his team from being hit? For literally stopping players in their tracks? Someone told you that was what he is known for, hockey magic lol

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He was physical that whole game. Not sure how much you’ve followed his career but he has never laid out guys with big hits. Anyone saying otherwise is ignorant. He is exactly what his reputation said he was, tough hard nosed guy that is hard to play against.

And this is just stupid:

“Isn’t his mere presence supposed to be enough to stop opposing players in their tracks? Let’s be honest, that’s all folklore.”

No **** **** its not real. It doesn’t even make sense. He had a reputation for stopping other players on his team from being hit? For literally stopping players in their tracks? Someone told you that was what he is known for, hockey magic lol

Weber the Man

Then there’s Weber the Destroyer

Reactions: cphabs

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So Weber was suppose to instigate a fight....that’s great!!

2min instigation
5min fighting
10min misconduct

17mins off the ice, put Colorado on the PP when you basically only have 3 Defenceman.....that’s brilliant!!!!

then we can blame Weber all night on how he cost us the game lol
yeah lets talk like the Habs beat the Avs...

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He's getting progressively steadier defensively so far this season. Even on the first Avalanche goal, when he was put in a tough situation by our faulty forecheck, he actually managed to prevent Makar from taking a shot. The first puck on Primeau was of Weber's pokecheck that bounced of Makar's foot. Fantastic player. Hope he gives us some more good years.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

So you think Weber not responding to the KK hit negates everything he does in terms of physical presence and his hitting? (He did paste an Ave into the boards in the third, but I'm guessing you dont watch the games, just respond mostly with negative chatter).

I'm just trying to clarify to make sure your post isn't as low brow as it sounds.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

He absolutely crushed Burakovsky later on...

And please stop with this f***ing "Weber intimidation stare" bs. Thats just something the jagaloons angry about the trade conjured up after they were stupid enough to take what was an obvious joke seriously.

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

And this is just stupid:

No **** **** its not real. It doesn’t even make sense. He had a reputation for stopping other players on his team from being hit? For literally stopping players in their tracks? Someone told you that was what he is known for, hockey magic lol
Have you watched any games this year? He lays guys out with big board hits all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad