News: Shea Weber likely retiring/LTIRetiring

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Weber going on the LTIR works out perfectly for everyone. First off Weber is still owed 12 million over the next 5 years. You have to be stupid to think that he retires and walks away from any of that free money. With Parise and Suter both being bought out it only left Weber and Crosby with those crazy length contracts still playing in the NHL. With his injuries now it is perfect to put him on the LTIR and no one can make up any excuses of him not being injured or taking an early retirement like a Hossa. It saves the NHL for having to deal with a recapture penalty to Nashville as well. It wraps everything up in a tidy little bow.
The best outcome for Montreal is for a Weber to retire. Dealing with 5 years of LTIR will cause issues. Especially under a flat cap. Also. I don’t know how much of his contract is insured, but I doubt it’s 100%.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I’m just saying. Nashville had options. They also had the option not to trade Weber for Subban. As soon as they traded him they gave up control of the contract and any possibility of the penalty reducing as Weber progressed through the lower salary years. It’s a tough situation but Nashville is partially responsible for it.
Poile stated years ago that he is not worried about Weber's contract at all, in fact I think he said it when the trade was made. There is a reason Preds fans think Poile knows something the rest of us have no clue about.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Weber going on the LTIR works out perfectly for everyone. First off Weber is still owed 12 million over the next 5 years. You have to be stupid to think that he retires and walks away from any of that free money. With Parise and Suter both being bought out it only left Weber and Crosby with those crazy length contracts still playing in the NHL. With his injuries now it is perfect to put him on the LTIR and no one can make up any excuses of him not being injured or taking an early retirement like a Hossa. It saves the NHL for having to deal with a recapture penalty to Nashville as well. It wraps everything up in a tidy little bow.
montreal doesn't want him on their ltir

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Poile stated years ago that he is not worried about Weber's contract at all, in fact I think he said it when the trade was made. There is a reason Preds fans think Poile knows something the rest of us have no clue about.
poile hoped it wouldn't be a problem but it's gonna be

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
poile hoped it wouldn't be a problem but it's gonna be
I mean that's your opinion but Poile's statements have always been very definitive about it and we are talking about a guy that is as tight lipped as it comes. What that confidence is about we just don't know, but the fact remains he has clearly stated that it wouldn't be a problem.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
montreal doesn't want him on their ltir

They don’t have a choice. Unless they take the poison pill and pay someone to take his contract. Pretty sure Arizona could use a 1st in this years draft.

On a side note, it is funny that Montreal fans feel he should retire and that he doesn’t owe The Pred any favors, but are asking for a huge one themselves. Completely Ironic.

Would be too funny and very fitting if Montreal has to add something to trade his contract to someone else who won’t spend to the cap.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Poile just probably thought he'd be dead or fired by the time Weber retired.
I mean you can come up with any crazy reason you want to, but at the end of the day he is the GM that would know more about it than anyone. Why he isn't worried who knows, all we can go on is what he has stated.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The best outcome for Montreal is for a Weber to retire. Dealing with 5 years of LTIR will cause issues. Especially under a flat cap. Also. I don’t know how much of his contract is insured, but I doubt it’s 100%.

LTIR isn't really a big deal, but is very confusing.

Also regarding the insured part I don't think its a big deal for Montreal tbh. The Habs make way more money than they spend. 12 million over 5 years wouldn't put a dent in the Habs profits let alone their stake/positions at Molson-Coors.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

Also regarding the insured part I don't think its a big deal for Montreal tbh. The Habs make way more money than they spend. 12 million over 5 years wouldn't put a dent in the Habs profits let alone their stake/positions at Molson-Coors.
LTIR cause problems with rookie bonuses as well as prevents a team from accumulating cap space. So that limits the kind of moves a team can make at the deadline. Also no business is going to lay out $12m that it doesn’t have to. Regardless of if they can afford it or not. Like I said, the best outcome for Montreal (assuming Weber can’t play another game) is for Weber to retire.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It’s not about money, it’s about cap space and how LTIR affects cap space.

Montreal gains cap space by having Weber retire in 2023 or 2024.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I mean that's your opinion but Poile's statements have always been very definitive about it and we are talking about a guy that is as tight lipped as it comes. What that confidence is about we just don't know, but the fact remains he has clearly stated that it wouldn't be a problem.
oh well that settles it than . i don't think he's gonna come out publicly and say we're screwed

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Not for a team sitting on $30M in cap space with a handful of players to re-sign and no huge salary increases the next few seasons.
They don’t have a choice. Unless they take the poison pill and pay someone to take his contract. Pretty sure Arizona could use a 1st in this years draft.

On a side note, it is funny that Montreal fans feel he should retire and that he doesn’t owe The Pred any favors, but are asking for a huge one themselves. Completely Ironic.

Would be too funny and very fitting if Montreal has to add something to trade his contract to someone else who won’t spend to the cap.
i think your missing the fact that the cap penalties are on nashville not montreal

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Senseless. Nashville matched.
definitely not senseless. once weber signed they could either lose him or match. in all fairness the cap circumvention was agreed between weber and the flyers.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Hossa retires for getting a rash while wearing his equipment and the league has no issues with it. Weber can’t keep playing because of legitimate and verifiable injuries over the years and all of a sudden the league won’t allow it and will for recapture penalties? Look nobody likes the fact that the cap circumvention contracts were signed back in the day and that’s why they got rid of them, but this is a classic case of a player getting beaten down over the years and eventually his body can’t keep up. Weber is going LTIR and everybody can just be happy to have been here to watch a great career by a class act defenceman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad