News: Shea Weber likely retiring/LTIRetiring

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
LTIR and once Montreal pays the 9M owed over the next 2 years a cap floor team will scoop up the remaining 3M over 3 years.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
i can see. the word fairness doesn't say anything to you. :naughty:

You mean how unfair it was that Nashville got to retain Weber by paying him way more than the AAV salary cap hit. In effect, every year Weber played for Nashville, the team had an unfair salary cap advantage over other teams that didn't have those types of contracts. Not unfair at all that they suffer the consequences of that (if they do).

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It doesn't change the fact we have plenty of cap space even if he does retire
While what you say is true we also have two guys making over 8 mil per year playing like 2 mil a year 4th liners. With no one in the league willing to take on a Duchene or Johansen. Weber will not LTIR for retirement purposes As sure as you are about Poiles demeanor about being ok I know Weber was really really pissed that he was traded the interviews he did the articles in the sports news. If I were betting he plans to put Poiles other eye out sticking us with as much recapture as he can. Yes the league did us a favor allowing the 24 mil to be spread out but this shit is going to happen. And our dead cap with Duchene and Johansen is going to be staggering what 23 mil in three guys one not playing and two just going thru the motions to get a check. This is gonna leave a mark.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
LTIR cause problems with rookie bonuses as well as prevents a team from accumulating cap space. So that limits the kind of moves a team can make at the deadline. Also no business is going to lay out $12m that it doesn’t have to. Regardless of if they can afford it or not. Like I said, the best outcome for Montreal (assuming Weber can’t play another game) is for Weber to retire.

If Weber retire before the next 2 years they get a recapture penalty.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
You mean how unfair it was that Nashville got to retain Weber by paying him way more than the AAV salary cap hit. In effect, every year Weber played for Nashville, the team had an unfair salary cap advantage over other teams that didn't have those types of contracts. Not unfair at all that they suffer the consequences of that (if they do).

"unfair salary cap advantage"... How far above the cap (advantage), in actual dollars, did the Preds spend due to Weber's salary structure?

Reactions: Buffalo Preds

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The best outcome for Montreal is for a Weber to retire. Dealing with 5 years of LTIR will cause issues. Especially under a flat cap. Also. I don’t know how much of his contract is insured, but I doubt it’s 100%.

The LTIR issues are overrated, especially for a team that can spend to the cap. I also honestly expect a hybrid kind of resolution. If for no other reason that:

1) its probable Weber wont play again, not certain;
2) the value of Weber's LTIR contract should have later on; and
3)I'm not sure Weber's going to want to go through the effort of being ready for a training camp the next five years to confirm he can't play.

This is something that likely gets revisited every season. For instance, it wouldn't be shocking if Weber is LTIR'd for next season and then, if he can't make a comeback, just retires.

F L Y E R S

Orange & Black
Aug 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Been one of my favorite players for a long time now. I still remember being at work, and how excited I was finding out he signed an offer sheet with the Flyers. Was going to be Prongers replacement. What could've been...sigh. Wish him all the best though. Sure he'll get a front office job soon enough.

Reactions: Andrei79

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
I hope he retires. He doesn't have anything left to prove and trying to play again risks permenant injuries.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Come to TB. Nice place to get paid on LTIR, and we need the cap space and know how to use LTIR.

FFWRX

Unregistered User
Feb 12, 2007
Greenbrier, TN
Because he’ll stay on LTIR till the deal is over.

The Preds got a player at an artificially low cap hit for four seasons so, yes, they did benefit. That benefit is exactly what cap recapture covers.

CBA changes may ease Shea Weber salary cap penalty fears for Preds—for now

During the four years that Weber remained on the team after signing his contract, something called a net cap benefit accrued. In a nutshell, each year, the cap advantage represented the amount of the total salary paid minus the cap hit. As the contract went on, the net cap benefit was the cumulative total of each year’s cap advantage. With Weber’s front-loaded contract, even though Nashville was paying Weber much higher than his salary cap average annual value (AAV), they were accruing the net cap benefit, which totaled $24,571,428 when he was traded to the Montreal Canadiens for P.K. Subban in 2016.
This is all very true, and I agree with you, but the Preds also were not a cap team then. They did not benefit from the contract being structured that way. Something the league may think about when determining if he can go in LTIR or not.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Approximately 24.6 million in recapture penalties if he retires. Will be avoided with LTIRetirement though.
The difference is now it would be spread over more years and not 3 like it would have been originally.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
See you on the golf course in Kelowna Shea, with your broken body and all...just like Seabrook and his wakeboarding but too injured to play BS...Cap circumvention is a joy isn't it!

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad