News: Shea Weber likely retiring/LTIRetiring

Saucechucker99

Feb 10, 2008
We will never forget that hole.
BvlDR6hIcAARJef.jpg

I remember when he shot it through the net at the Olympics as well.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I agree partially. Teams should still be held accountable for signing players to the length of whatever contract is signed. If a player is forced to retire due to injury, he is still going to be getting paid from insurance, but the league doesn't want to continue on with teams using career ending LTIR. It's pretty much cap circumvention to it's finest. All you got to do is look at Tampa Bay this past season. 18 million over the cap at the start of playoffs. I can't see the league allowing that again. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the league make a rule that a player who is on the LTIR must be on active roster for minimum of 3 games prior to start of playoffs in order to be eligible to play in playoffs.

Well Kucherov didn’t go on career ending LTIR. That’s the difference. It was known he’d play again.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Maybe you're not caught up with the recent NHL news but they are trying to get away from teams being able to put players on the LTIR for the remainder of their career. It's been talked about at lengths this off season and according to Friedman and Lebrun, it might take place this season.
I think with Weber they will let it under the wire and then shut it down. I think it's one reason they are trying to get a decision made. I believe with Suter and Parise bought out this is basically the last of these contracts anyways which would be convenient for everyone. Montreal gets cap room, Preds get rid of recapture and the NHL can wash its hands of the whole mess finally.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
To be fair those were players who LTIR retired somewhere else and traded to Arizona mostly. I'm willing to bet if the NHL tries to force Weber to retire and not LTIR they'll face a huge PA dispute. Weber as injuries that are causing him pain and if he fixes will most likely end his career, said injuries are a direct result of hockey.

But he doesn't get his last 12 million dollars?

Regardless, the NHL didn’t force them to retire. The NHL won’t change its stance now, unless they allow teams to not carry a cap hit.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Poison pill offer sheets should have consequences...
Preds had no benefits from that deal. They paid the huge majority of real money and traded weber when his contract was starting to become a deal for them.

They wont get hit with recapture. Been saying it since the trade.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Well Kucherov didn’t go on career ending LTIR. That’s the difference. It was known he’d play again.

Kucherov was practicing with the team for almost 2 months prior to the playoffs. You're telling me he wasn't fit to play in the last couple of games? Of course he could've but Tampa played the system perfectly and embarrassed the NHL. I don't think you see that again

Reactions: LeapOnOver

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Then if they want to do that, they need to take away the penalty for early retirement.

I get trying to avoid gaming the cap system, but it’s monumentally stupid to punish teams because someone retires, whether that person makes $700K or $11M.

Especially seeing hockey is a physical sport and career ending injuries can happen at any second, unlike say… golf (yes I realize the pay structures are completely different, but I think you get my point). It’s not like GMs are soothsayers and can see the future.

The amount of the salary plays a huge part in this. It can affect the ability of a team that wants to spend to the cap being unable to do so. Big difference between a team like Arizona who wouldn't want to take advantage of the LTIR, and used it to reach the cap floor and Montreal who want to spend to the maximum. A team can go over the cap in the offseason by 10%, if Montreal needs to put say Price and Weber on LTIR, they could only use 8M of the 18M of the LTIR of the two players before the season starts. As well, using LTIR for 5 years in the case of Weber, according to the current rules, would prevent Montreal from accumulating cap space over the course of the season for 5 years, so basically locking them out of making any deals at the trade deadline or over the course of the season, unless equal salary is going the other way for the 5 years remaining. So as you wrote 700k and 11M are not the same at all.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I don’t think Montreal is anxious to have to deal with $7.85m of LTIR hit 5 years. Weber is due $6m this year. I think that’s why they haven’t officially said anything about retiring. He’ll get his payout this season then they can look at retiring when his salary drops to $3m next season or $1m the season after.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Kucherov was practicing with the team for almost 2 months prior to the playoffs. You're telling me he wasn't fit to play in the last couple of games? Of course he could've but Tampa played the system perfectly and embarrassed the NHL. I don't think you see that again

People don’t really get how rehab works. Just because you’re on the ice doesn’t mean you’re ready to play.

The last thing Kucherov, the Lightning and the NHL needs is that the first time Kucherov gets on the ice to practice, then be forced to play, then gets hurt and makes him out even longer and possibly ending his career. That’s not a good look for any corporation, which both the Lightning and the NHL are.

Things work different with you and I, because we’re not valuable to our companies. I’m STILL laid off from my two jobs I had pre-pandemic because I’m not going back making 60% of what I did beforehand. And I’ve been let go from places despite being injured working for them (like cutting off a finger and getting it reattached and doing rehab on it).

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The amount of the salary plays a huge part in this. It can affect the ability of a team that wants to spend to the cap being unable to do so. Big difference between a team like Arizona who wouldn't want to take advantage of the LTIR, and used it to reach the cap floor and Montreal who want to spend to the maximum. A team can go over the cap in the offseason by 10%, if Montreal needs to put say Price and Weber on LTIR, they could only use 8M of the 18M of the LTIR of the two players before the season starts. As well, using LTIR for 5 years in the case of Weber, according to the current rules, would prevent Montreal from accumulating cap space over the course of the season for 5 years, so basically locking them out of making any deals at the trade deadline or over the course of the season, unless equal salary is going the other way for the 5 years remaining. So as you wrote 700k and 11M are not the same at all.

The amount of salary should be irrelevant. If a player retires, there should not be a penalty against a team because of that. Whether it’s because of a legit injury or whatever.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm curious as to whom Bergevin has in mind to sign this offseason to help out on D?

As a Red Wing fan - I'm hoping Yzerman signs Martinez for a few seasons - thus playing in front of his home crowd, but I wouldn't doubt that sneaky Francophone sneaks up from behind and offers him a better deal to play for the Habs...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Preds had no benefits from that deal. They paid the huge majority of real money and traded weber when his contract was starting to become a deal for them.

They wont get hit with recapture. Been saying it since the trade.

Because he’ll stay on LTIR till the deal is over.

The Preds got a player at an artificially low cap hit for four seasons so, yes, they did benefit. That benefit is exactly what cap recapture covers.

CBA changes may ease Shea Weber salary cap penalty fears for Preds—for now

During the four years that Weber remained on the team after signing his contract, something called a net cap benefit accrued. In a nutshell, each year, the cap advantage represented the amount of the total salary paid minus the cap hit. As the contract went on, the net cap benefit was the cumulative total of each year’s cap advantage. With Weber’s front-loaded contract, even though Nashville was paying Weber much higher than his salary cap average annual value (AAV), they were accruing the net cap benefit, which totaled $24,571,428 when he was traded to the Montreal Canadiens for P.K. Subban in 2016.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I'm curious as to whom Bergevin has in mind to sign this offseason to help out on D?

As a Red Wing fan - I'm hoping Yzerman signs Martinez for a few seasons - thus playing in front of his home crowd, but I wouldn't doubt that sneaky Francophone sneaks up from behind and offers him a better deal to play for the Habs...

Zadorov and Risto were the two names that have been mentioned. Martinez is LD ain't he? Wouldn't be a fit here.

Reactions: FMichael

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Their hand was basically forced by Philadelphia going way out of their was to screw them over in hopes the contract structure would be a problem for them

Nashvilles hand was forced by Philly. But the Preds also contributed to the situation in the acrimonious contract negotiations with Weber that saw him receive a record $7.5m one year arbitration award in 2011-12, leaving him one year from UFA when Philly dropped the offer sheet.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nashvilles hand was forced by Philly. But the Preds also contributed to the situation in the acrimonious contract negotiations with Weber that saw him receive a record $7.5m one year arbitration award in 2011-12, leaving him one year from UFA when Philly dropped the offer sheet.

It wasn't the 14 years or even 7.5M caphit which was extremely high for the time that was the problem. It was basically making a bonus rich contract in the first 4 years that paid him 14M dollars a year that was my beef(and basically 27M in amatter of 1 year time since the huge bonuses came at the signing of the deal and July 1).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
One very interesting wrinkle with the Weber situation is that Montreal doesn’t want Weber to stay on LTIR for the final 5 years of the contract.

It’s in the Habs best interests to have Weber retire in the summer of 2022 or 2023 when the teams cap Recapture Penalty is paid off. Offer him a front office job to retire and skip out on the final three $1m years in the summer of 2023.

Not unlike Luongo.

Reactions: HyperX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad