News: Shea Weber likely retiring/LTIRetiring

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Preds in trouble cap wise if he retires correct??

Not quite the trouble that it previously would have been.

If he retires this offseason, the Preds will be hit with $4,914,286 each year for 5 seasons.
If he retires next offseason, the Preds are hit with $6,142,857 each year for 4 seasons.

Beyond that it's not entirely certain how the penalty would be applied, the NHL changed the penalty so that the yearly hit can no longer exceed the AAV of the contract, but whether they apply the largest hit possible first, or spread it out evenly is yet to be determined.

It could be that if he retires at any point after that the Preds are hit with $7,857,143 each year for 3 seasons and then $999,999 for one season.
Or it could be that they make it an even hit for four seasons of $6,142,857. But I think the first one would make more sense.

CBA changes may ease Shea Weber salary cap penalty fears for Preds—for now

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
He was a major pain in the Red Wings ass for years but I always liked his game and respected him as a player. One of those guys that you just don’t replace

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
The NHL is looking into this heavily. If he's officially done, he won't be able to go on the LTIR for the remainder of his contract.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yes and no. They’ll get hit with like, $7.5M if he does instead of the $24M penalty. Still a lot, but not franchise crippling.

I think it's a case say in 2023-24 his caphit was 7.5 and salary 1M, they would get a recapture penalty of 7.5M - 1M = 6.5M

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It's capped yearly at Weber's AAV, but the total penalties are approximately 24.6 million.

Ah. Then yea. A lot of money spread out, instead of at once.

We think teams like the Sens and Coyotes are bad now. Imagine if the Preds had to ice a team a few million below the current cap floor to ride out the $24M a year. They’d probably go the way of the Thrashers.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sad to see it but kind of fitting him and Pekka may go out in the same year.

He's been battling injuries for a long time, not entirely sure it wasn't why Poile moved him for Subban in the first place.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The NHL is looking into this heavily. If he's officially done, he won't be able to go on the LTIR for the remainder of his contract.

Why would the NHL force someone to retire? Seabrook isn’t coming back, and they’re not forcing him to retire. They didn’t force Pronger to retire. Nor Lupul. Nor Horton. Nor Hossa. Nor Zetterberg. Nor Clarkson. Nor Gaborik.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Weren't the reports that the league were pushing him towards retirement rather than LTIR? Like that because hes chosen to go for surgery, he has to bite the loss.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I wonder if it falls under the same stipulation as the Hossa and Pronger deals that Arizona still has on LTIR.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
But I have been hearing for years that Montreal was going to trade him back to Nashville for a huge return because of cap recapture…..

So shocked that didn’t happen lol
You mean you heard for years how his contract was the worst in the league lol

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If Hossa can get on it for a skin condition I'm pretty sure Weber will have zero issues getting LTIR. It solves everyone's issues in a nice tight package, and that includes the NHL's.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Why would the NHL force someone to retire? Seabrook isn’t coming back, and they’re not forcing him to retire. They didn’t force Pronger to retire. Nor Lupul. Nor Horton. Nor Hossa. Nor Zetterberg. Nor Clarkson. Nor Gaborik.

Maybe you're not caught up with the recent NHL news but they are trying to get away from teams being able to put players on the LTIR for the remainder of their career. It's been talked about at lengths this off season and according to Friedman and Lebrun, it might take place this season.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If Hossa can get on it for a skin condition I'm pretty sure Weber will have zero issues getting LTIR. It solves everyone's issues in a nice tight package, and that includes the NHL's.
You mean like this list?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Maybe you're not caught up with the recent NHL news but they are trying to get away from teams being able to put players on the LTIR for the remainder of their career. It's been talked about at lengths this off season and according to Friedman and Lebrun, it might take place this season.

Then if they want to do that, they need to take away the penalty for early retirement.

I get trying to avoid gaming the cap system, but it’s monumentally stupid to punish teams because someone retires, whether that person makes $700K or $11M.

Especially seeing hockey is a physical sport and career ending injuries can happen at any second, unlike say… golf (yes I realize the pay structures are completely different, but I think you get my point). It’s not like GMs are soothsayers and can see the future.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...Buttman only screws with those Franchises that aren't his Cash Cow babies...and everything in Canada...

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Then if they want to do that, they need to take away the penalty for early retirement.

I get trying to avoid gaming the cap system, but it’s monumentally stupid to punish teams because someone retires, whether that person makes $700K or $11M.

Especially seeing hockey is a physical sport and career ending injuries can happen at any second, unlike say… golf (yes I realize the pay structures are completely different, but I think you get my point). It’s not like GMs are soothsayers and can see the future.

I agree partially. Teams should still be held accountable for signing players to the length of whatever contract is signed. If a player is forced to retire due to injury, he is still going to be getting paid from insurance, but the league doesn't want to continue on with teams using career ending LTIR. It's pretty much cap circumvention to it's finest. All you got to do is look at Tampa Bay this past season. 18 million over the cap at the start of playoffs. I can't see the league allowing that again. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the league make a rule that a player who is on the LTIR must be on active roster for minimum of 3 games prior to start of playoffs in order to be eligible to play in playoffs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That seems odd to me given that Ryan Callahan landed on LTIR with Wear and Tear type issues vs say a bum shoulder like Horton or a back like Zetterberg which was well known around the NHL.

If he can’t pass a physical he should land on Ltir. No issues to the Habs only the Preds. Either way for Weber he still got like $98 mill over 9 years so almost $11 mill per.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Yea well, eff Canada!

And today I learned Arizona is a cash cow! ;)

To be fair those were players who LTIR retired somewhere else and traded to Arizona mostly. I'm willing to bet if the NHL tries to force Weber to retire and not LTIR they'll face a huge PA dispute. Weber as injuries that are causing him pain and if he fixes will most likely end his career, said injuries are a direct result of hockey.

But he doesn't get his last 12 million dollars?

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad