Shea Weber is no longer a top pairing D.

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by HockeyVirus, Feb 21, 2021.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. The Turtle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Which is exactly my point to which the poster that originally made the statement that you could is avoiding backing up ebcause he doesn't have an answer.

The guy will be 41 or 42 when the contract expires. It's so heavily front loaded that I believe he'd only be making a million in the final year or two. It's been a while since I've looked at the details but for someone that's made over 100 million during his career, why would you stick around to be "buried" for what would be considered in this context peanuts?

Several players this year alone have gave up far more then that because of covid and the state of the market.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 4:44 PM
  2. jfhabs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I never said, I, as in myself, would do anything about anything.
    I said there are known and proven mechanics available to GMs in the NHL to bury contracts...
    You are saying otherwise? Just look at all the contract signed by NHL stars in the same era of Weber : Luongo, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hossa, Pronger, Callahan, Clarkson, etc, etc, etc.

3. The Turtle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You're making a claim without backing it up. If said claim is true you should be able to explain how it would be done in the case of Weber.

4. jfhabs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    My claim is that his contract won't be an issue based on 100% of similar contracts.
    The exact way the team will deal with it would only be speculation at this point. However it seems like the most popular way to deal with such contracts is LTIR.
    If you aren't educated to the past cases of heavy cap hits being LTIR in the final years of some players contract you can look up some of the names I mentioned including Callahan, Horton, Kesler, Hossa, Clarkson, etc.

5. triggrman Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    I think it's a million each year in the final 3, regardless a million isn't peanuts, especially at the end of your earning years. I doubt he'll ever make any thing close to that after hockey and NHL retirement doesn't pay $1m a year. I understand your point though, his contract was for 110M, he should have plenty of money. I just see him more like Chris Chelios, who refused to retire until his body gave up, and Weber's body might give up, but in that happens, it's LTIR, not retirement.

6. The Turtle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    LTIR has terms that must be met to maintain the status. It's not just a free ride for a guy to sudo retire while still claiming a pay cheque. Nashville also hasn’t historically been a cap team. Why would the owner want to willingly take on a contract for a guy that no longer has benefit to the franchise? Regardless, the point I'm making which you’re missing is that Weber after making 100 million has no reason to stick around if he's not playing. None of us can tell the future though. It's speculation on both sides. Many players have also forfeited the final years of their contracts in recent years as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 5:50 PM
  7. Devils090 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Weber is 35 and played a very physical style over his career, him slowing down really shouldn’t be that surprising.

8. Habsfunk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    If Weber is on the decline, Montreal only has to live with him for one more season. After 2021-22, his actually salary drops to $3 million, which makes him enticing for a team with lots of cap space. You then have three years at $1 million each. His contract is really only untradeable if he falls off a cliff. Even then, with his leadership, physicality, and shot, someone will take a chance on him.

9. HockeyGuy1964 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    To reach the cap floor.

10. Critical13 Fear is the mind-killer.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Staring at spreadsheets.
    Incoming skin condition in the next 24 months.

11. triggrman Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    We've been close to the cap for the last 4 or 5 years. Finances aren't the problem here they once were under Liarpold. Anyway, Nashville has no control in this regardless. If he does retire, we eat cap space, not actual dollars, they're not going to trade for dead dollars. And yes, I understand LTIR requires medical reasons, but I'm betting for a guy playing his style for 15+ seasons, he's got some time bombs waiting to happen.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 6:57 PM
  12. Canadienna Sitting in a temperate rainforest somewhere...

SB Cash:
    $ 0
    Lol he's absolutely still an NHL Dman. I think a lot of top tier teams would still give him top 3/4 minutes.

It's just yeah, he's slow. Has trouble going both directions. His pivot is more like a protractor line.

13. Jigger77 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Jimmyrigger
    They sure don't look like it at the moment. Right now they look like a team that's been hearing too many praises about how good they are.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 8:34 PM
  14. draft day Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You might want to see the recapture penalty when Weber retires.

15. draft day Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The OP is a Leaf fan. What did you expect.

16. triggrman Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    It's 7.8M.....

17. Roasted Nuts Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Nice jinx thread. Weber with 2 goals in the game.