Shea Weber is no longer a top pairing D.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I wouldn't say a declining 35 year old defenceman, signed to 8+m/yr until 2026 is the least of their problems right now. I would say you would expect that player to perform better.

I said "right now". Right now they have a weak forward group with no depth to replace the couple very good players they have if an injury occurs. They can't play Vancouver all the time.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Obviously Weber isn't playing great but he needs a different partner. Chiarot is not the answer.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
It ended up being a... complex trade. As a Preds fan, I would not use my time machine to undo any of it. Weber was not playing well for us, and Subban was initially a lot better... for 2 seasons. Our best 2 seasons ever. Then Subban imploded, but luckily we still got value in dumping him. And Weber is a better player even today. It's... complex. Bizarre even. Probably nobody will really win or lose on that. Both teams got something. Maybe not as much as they wished for. But enough.
I actually have both teams losing this deal.
Hard to call either side a winner when it didn't really work out the way either had hoped.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
As fun as it is to watch Habs fans panic Weber is still pretty much at a 40 point pace with 9 or 10 goals over a full season. Still looks offensively serviceable.

Is he an elite #1 D any more? Probably not.

Is he still a legit top 4 D? Probably.

Could this weird season and heavy schedule be messing him up? Entirely possible.

They are stuck with him and should just be grateful Petry emerged in time to cover the change. You could do worse than having Weber anchoring your 2nd unit.

Habs fans just need to temper expectations a little, he still has something to give and they will need him come playoff time.

By all means though, feel free to continue the panic :P

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty10

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Shea just has so much mileage already.

Trading for him was a 'win now' move on the part of Bergevin. Now years later it's looking like a bad trade, even though PK has fallen off a cliff.
The trade itself isn't bad in a vacuum. However, the direction was. It should've been the moment to implode and rebuild. Trading Subban for future assets would ve been better, but Molson wants nothing to do with rebuilds

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Fair enough. But if Weber retires before 2026 the Preds' salary cap will be absolutely screwed. Making it a really bad deal for Nashville

It's slightly easier to deal with now that the rules changed and the penalty cannot exceed the cap hit of the contract in any single year. So if Weber retired in the final year of the deal, instead of a $24M recapture penalty, they would face a 4 year penalty. The question is if it would be $6M for 4 years, or $7.8M for 3 years and then the leftover change in the 4th year.

Heck, with Johansen and Duchene, we already have $16M in cap penalties as it is :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Weber was a beast in the playoffs last season, which is part of how a 24 seed was able to easily bounce Crosby's Penguins.

I find it hard to believe Weber is now washed up a few Months later.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I actually have both teams losing this deal.
Hard to call either side a winner when it didn't really work out the way either had hoped.

It worked out exactly how Bergevin wanted. He got rid of Subban. He has a guy people make 1000 excuses for. Shea is never good enough and always gets a free pass. Perfect for Marc.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

The Turtle

Feb 6, 2021
Ya, Preds were so stacked in 2017 transcendental super star Viktor Arvidsson led the team in RS scoring, and when Johansen got injured in the playoffs they had to rely on Colton Sissons and Freddy Gaudreau as a 1–2 centre forward punch.

That's a whole different level of stacked.

When that roster was healthy it was full of two way forwards that worked hard and suffocated opposition teams. To attempt to credit that on soup can when he was never defensively strong is laughable.

And then you're missing the most important point that Nashville dumped his contract for scraps which clearly happened for a reason.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
A contract isn't only about price but also term.

You might want to look at when Weber's ends.
There are known and proven mechanics in the NHL to bury such contracts without affecting the teams ability to spend if they want to

The Turtle

Feb 6, 2021
There are known and proven mechanics in the NHL to bury such contracts without affecting the teams ability to spend if they want to

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Okay bud. Please inform me of how you would have done that from your arm chair GM position in Weber's case without him saying f*** it and retiring which would come with even heavier penalties?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Okay bud. Please inform me of how you would have done that from your arm chair GM position in Weber's case without him saying f*** it and retiring which would come with even heavier penalties?
Again, while it would suck getting that cap hit, the recapture penalties are far less now, not crippling in any way.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Where did I say, I would have anything to do with that!?!?
You seem very frustrated, take a walk

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Do fans of other teams come to the main boards to bitch about their players too?

Let me tell you a story about a man named Tyson Barrie and fans from Toronto, Edmonton, and wherever he signs next.

I’d be more than happy to have Weber on my team’s playoff roster FWIW.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
There still hasn't been an explanation how you would bury such a contract.

I'm waiting.
I don't think you can bury the contract, but the cap hit is now maxed out at 7.8M, that's not crippling, it hurts but it's not crippling.

I doubt Shea Weber retires though without an injury. Why would he give up money if he could still play? He's not the type, or doesn't seem to be. If he's injured he goes on LTIR.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->