Shea Weber is no longer a top pairing D.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He could be, but ... not with Ben Chiarot as a partner.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Subban helped Nashville get to the finals
It ended up being a... complex trade. As a Preds fan, I would not use my time machine to undo any of it. Weber was not playing well for us, and Subban was initially a lot better... for 2 seasons. Our best 2 seasons ever. Then Subban imploded, but luckily we still got value in dumping him. And Weber is a better player even today. It's... complex. Bizarre even. Probably nobody will really win or lose on that. Both teams got something. Maybe not as much as they wished for. But enough.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The first word that comes to mind is slow. He is just slow in all aspects of the game. He tries to engage physically and gets walked by faster skaters. He's making brain dead decisions in his own end. HIs only redeeming quality is his shot.

Watching what he was vs now is honestly sad to see.
Lasted longer than Subban as a number one D.

Reactions: Amazinmets73

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
It ended up being a... complex trade. As a Preds fan, I would not use my time machine to undo any of it. Weber was not playing well for us, and Subban was initially a lot better... for 2 seasons. Our best 2 seasons ever. Then Subban imploded, but luckily we still got value in dumping him. And Weber is a better player even today. It's... complex. Bizarre even. Probably nobody will really win or lose on that. Both teams got something. Maybe not as much as they wished for. But enough.
Fair enough. But if Weber retires before 2026 the Preds' salary cap will be absolutely screwed. Making it a really bad deal for Nashville

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
The first word that comes to mind is slow. He is just slow in all aspects of the game. He tries to engage physically and gets walked by faster skaters. He's making brain dead decisions in his own end. HIs only redeeming quality is his shot.

Weber has been fine. Really good defensively and decent offensively.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
MTL is the best defensive team in the north so something is working over there, and its gonna work in the playoffs having a physical D like weber , we see it every year
If they make the playoffs...

They've come back down to earth and have been pretty awful the last 10 or so games. Playing in the awful North will likely save them though

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

You must be delusional, he’s the best defenceman in the North

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I have no memorable moment of Weber with the Habs and I watch every game... Weber did nothing for us, if Subban had to be traded, it should have been for something else, not a d-man who can't move the puck and can't skate.

What do you mean? What about all of those legendary playoff performances where he proved he was the second coming of Larry Robinson? Oh right that never happened.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Seems like the last couple years Weber gets both praised for great play and comments about him being old, slow and no longer a top pairing guy at various points in the season. It's almost as if a guy in his mid-30s can't play at the top of his game all season long. It'd certainly help if he had a partner with more speed and puck skills as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
MTL is the best defensive team in the north so something is working over there, and its gonna work in the playoffs having a physical D like weber , we see it every year
*Toronto is the best defensive team in the North

Reactions: CincoHolio

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Shea just has so much mileage already.

Trading for him was a 'win now' move on the part of Bergevin. Now years later it's looking like a bad trade, even though PK has fallen off a cliff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad