Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Thats what 26Mats said. He's 31 now - which makes him 32 in december. 1 more year under current contract, makes him 33 next december. He'll be 34 in december of the first year of his next contract.

Since Weber is going nowhere under MB, it probably makes sense to at least consider moving Petry for assets now. Although TBH, I think MB is cooking up a plan to get us a top LD and try to contend now... which im not sure is the right move.

The way Weber's contract is built, he could retire in 2022 or 2023 since his real salary is going to be 3mil than 1mil per year. All the cap penalty would go to the Preds.

Reactions: TT1

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The way Weber's contract is built, he could retire in 2022 or 2023 since his real salary is going to be 3mil than 1mil per year. All the cap penalty would go to the Preds.

Yeah, I'm almost 100% positive Webers done when his salary drops to 1M. He has three years left after this one, after which the Preds are in big, big trouble. I could actually see them offer us a significant asset to get him back.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Yeah, I'm almost 100% positive Webers done when his salary drops to 1M. He has three years left after this one, after which the Preds are in big, big trouble. I could actually see them offer us a significant asset to get him back.

Weber contract is only hurting MTL, Predators would be in the hook for 6M$ for 3 years ( which is management for them) the worst case is that he retire a years later or the one after that because the cap recapture would be spread on 2 or 1 years 9m$ or 18m$ But that mean that MTL need to keep him on the book until than...

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Weber contract is only hurting MTL, Predators would be in the hook for 6M$ for 3 years ( which is management for them) the worst case is that he retire a years later or the one after that because the cap recapture would be spread on 2 or 1 years 9m$ or 18m$ But that mean that MTL need to keep him on the book until than...

Not sure I understand your post.

Weber is not in any way a problem on a team with millions in wasted cap.

In our case, the cap penalties would not be significant as soon as this year. Once his salary drops to 1M, we wont have any penalties.

For Nashville, we're talking almost 4M if Weber retires next year. 6M in three years. If he retires the first year he makes 1M, the penalty goes up to 8M, 12M then 24M if he retires his last year.

How are those hits manageable ?

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

In our case, the cap penalties would not be significant as soon as this year. Once his salary drops to 1M, we wont have any penalties.

For Nashville, we're talking almost 4M if Weber retires next year. 6M in three years. If he retires the first year he makes 1M, the penalty goes up to 8M, 12M then 24M if he retires his last year.

Thank you for a clear and correct post. At least one who understands the cap associated with weber, under those conditions, the preds would be in a much better shape tp trade for him back then to have him retire

Reactions: aresknights

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Above 6M$ it isn’t manageable but if he retire anytime before it is manageable (so no need to trade for him).only if Weber plays a 4th year and their is not some kind of exemption or loop hole in the next CBA (NHL won’t let NSH be on the hook for a contract they had to match before the cap recapture was put in place...)only than there will ton of pressure for NSH to reacquire Weber. MB will have Zero power if Weber retire early or there are changes with the new CBA.

In next 4 years when basically everyone’s on the team except Price and Drouin will need to be resign oR replaced
Next year Domi
Years after Gallagher Danault Tatar KK Poehling Petry etc...
Most of these guy will be getting raises so Weber cap hit will start to be a issue in 2 years since is performances won’t improve and at this point there no real incentives for NSH to acquire him for a other years... the longer Montreal keep Weber the more valueable he become but the big of a burden is cap hit will be + we don’t control when he retire and we can’t control the next CBA... and if we put him on LTIR we also diminish is value since that’s pretty much guaranty that he just keep cashing the check and not retire before the end of the contract...

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well technically he wouldnt have to retire. He could play it out. Markov was clearly done, yet he still wants to suit up. Once they get into those later years of a decline, the money holds a lot less importance. Chelios was making peanuts so he could still play. Guys have taken on small 1M deals to keep playing. I guess we will see.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

for sure, he'll be Nashville's problem. they could pay up if they want him back.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Thought it was time to bring it back on the first page, he's our ''C'' after all and it could give a break to the ''out of town thread''

Web is playin hurt right now ........has to be

Still bring good leadership tho, that's undebatable......at least it's what I think even if i cant proove it

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Started off slow with Meat, but they've played much better over the past 3-4 games. All three pairings have and it's great news for us.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
I have no idea who “went” after Weber after the hit but it might have been the most half assed and insincere tough guy act since Brisebois vs McClaren.

Would be nice if they would gif the sequence a second before the hit so we can actually see how it happens

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I'm gonna tell you the first word it comes on my mind when I'm seeing the C on his jersey. No, it's not captain. It's contract...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm gonna tell you the first word it comes on my mind when I'm seeing the C on his jersey. No, it's not captain. It's contract...

I'm still confused why people worry about his contract. It keeps getting brought up but it's like whatever.

In 2.5 years his salary is 3 million. In 3.5 it's 1 million.

Very good chance he calls it quits if he can't keep up at that point.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm still confused why people worry about his contract. It keeps getting brought up but it's like whatever.

In 2.5 years his salary is 3 million. In 3.5 it's 1 million.

Very good chance he calls it quits if he can't keep up at that point.
This point has been made on this board since 2016 but keeps being ignored for whatever reason

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
And so completely untrue.

He probably played his best game against the Leafs.
he was also real good against the Blues.
The Blues are a fast team now :laugh: ?

Everyone can see he lost some mobility. You got members of the Montreal media speculating he's not 100% because he has trouble pivoting to one side. What he does against the Wild and the Blues doesn't mean much, when he gets skated off the ice by the Lightning. If he were the same old Weber, Petry wouldn't be playing more minutes than him. L6 games he hasn't played more than 22:51. He's showing his age, it was bound to happen sooner than later.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
We'll see with Weber. I don't find he's any slower. What I've been noticing is that he's been turning the puck over a lot and his passing hasn't been as crisp as it was last year. His shot hasnt looked nearly as good either. I feel like he could have a busted up hand or wrist.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
To my eyes, this is the worst he's looked as a Hab. I do think he looks slower but I agree about the turnovers and shot. Everything seems to be a step below from just last season.

He's still serviceable as a second pairing but I felt he was still a solid top pairing last season. I hope this is just a slump/injury.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The Blues are a fast team now :laugh: ?

Everyone can see he lost some mobility. You got members of the Montreal media speculating he's not 100% because he has trouble pivoting to one side. What he does against the Wild and the Blues doesn't mean much, when he gets skated off the ice by the Lightning. If he were the same old Weber, Petry wouldn't be playing more minutes than him. L6 games he hasn't played more than 22:51. He's showing his age, it was bound to happen sooner than later.
Not saying the Blues are fast but they're good.
But the Leafs are very fast and Weber had his best game so what do you have to say about that?
And yea age has gotten to Weber. He has looked stiff to me for two years now. But he still brings a lot to the table no question. Petry is the number one D on this team. He's been GREAT.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Not saying the Blues are fast but they're good.
But the Leafs are very fast and Weber had his best game so what do you have to say about that?
And yea age has gotten to Weber. He has looked stiff to me for two years now. But he still brings a lot to the table no question. Petry is the number one D on this team. He's been GREAT.
I remember him being very physical vs the Leafs, but can't speak on on what else he did. What I know is he looked like a no 1 defenseman during the first 20-30 games last season, coming back from injury. He's dropped a notch or two since that.

Reactions: angusyoung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad