Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Washington also has other threats, like Carlson on the point for example. That PP in OT was painful to watch, literally their only plan was to get it to weber for the bomb. Another shooting threat on the right side would help our pp immensely.
Ya Caps always have 3 options ready to shoot. Oshie in the slot, Carlson on top and Ovie on the boards. Practically impossible to stop when you have guys like Kuznetsov and Backstrom dishing out. There is always somebody open.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Washington also has other threats, like Carlson on the point for example. That PP in OT was painful to watch, literally their only plan was to get it to weber for the bomb. Another shooting threat on the right side would help our pp immensely.
Absolutely Weber has no business being anywhere but up top. Bergevin talked about working on the PP all summer. He should have been finding a right handed shooter to play that spot. I'd still use Mete there to open up the backdoor play it gives us another wrinkle. I think I'd trust his instincts more than one of our forwards in terms of when to encroach. Looked decent in the pre-season so of course they stopped trying it? :sarcasm:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Hey, Dad! Wake up please.

He looks slower and his shot does not look as dangerous. Other than that he looks okay. Actually, he was okay the first couple of games but last night was a little disconcerting. Is there still rust to shake off?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hey, Dad! Wake up please.

He looks slower and his shot does not look as dangerous. Other than that he looks okay. Actually, he was okay the first couple of games but last night was a little disconcerting. Is there still rust to shake off?

He's not slower, this is the game he has played for years. His shot is still fine but has not picked any corners yet and he either hits the goalie or misses the net. It will come.... it's only 3 games.

He did turn the puck over a few times but he did that with the Preds as well. With the style of game he plays, it happens. Did it cost us a goal?

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
He's not slower, this is the game he has played for years. His shot is still fine but has not picked any corners yet and he either hits the goalie or misses the net. It will come.... it's only 3 games.

He did turn the puck over a few times but he did that with the Preds as well. With the style of game he plays, it happens. Did it cost us a goal?

IDK, did it? His lack of foot speed looked a little apparent on the Sabres' 4th goal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
IDK, did it? His lack of foot speed looked a little apparent on the Sabres' 4th goal.

Yes, he is not a elite level skater but is he slower than he was 3 or 4 years ago? I don't think so personally. I'd have to watch that over again on the 4th goal cause I don't recall that being on Weber?

I do know what you are saying though... he has some rough shifts and made a few bad passes in pressure. With a guy like Weber and the game he plays, it's going to happen from time to time.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
He needs a big game tonight, except for that Toronto game he's been so-so. I'm not worried and I'm sure hes's goingto pick up the pace soon.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Been declining for at least 2 years which were hidden/excused by injuries (and pink glasses), but damn does he look slow now. This guy is just not a #1D anymore.

Slow has been the case for most of his career. Puck battles and stick handling seems to be an area of struggle lately. Will this be for the entire season? Hope not

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He looks the same out there. But it’s obvious he can’t play 25+ minutes per game anymore. He gets fatigued. I don’t know how he does it at his age with the speed of the game.

The key is to manage his ice time and give him rests from practice

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Petry is being used more which is great for Weber who will be more effective playing 4 minutes less per game.
Shea is starting to slow

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
A thing of beauty. Clean and rock solid. The one on JT was great too. Nice to see Weber going for more of those this year. They bring energy and can help swing the momentum.

I think it's something he will have to keep doing more of to remain a presence on the ice while other parts of his game start to decline. He may keep losing speed but his size and strength won't go anywhere. I think he is the type of intelligent D-man who will learn to adapt his game in older age and may surprise a few people here (judging by recent comments). His price tag will definitely be heavy at some point but I don't ever see him being a liability.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Petry is being used more which is great for Weber who will be more effective playing 4 minutes less per game.
Shea is starting to slow
We'll see. He looked really sharp last night and often times October hockey is tough for defenders.

I've seen a lot of posters give him grief for no reason as well. Just last night he got blamed for the goal on Domis turnover and Armias blown coverage.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
We'll see. He looked really sharp last night and often times October hockey is tough for defenders.

I've seen a lot of posters give him grief for no reason as well. Just last night he got blamed for the goal on Domis turnover and Armias blown coverage.
He was very good last night and what helped that was Meat finally did his share of the heavy lifting. It's amazing how much better a guy looks when he doesn't have to cover for a partner that's running around with his head cut off.

All 3 pairs were solid last night. Petey had a tough night, but he usually has those every couple of games.

The hate on the PK goal where Army was out to lunch was funny though. They either don't have a clue about assignments or just need something to batch about :)

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I think it's something he will have to keep doing more of to remain a presence on the ice while other parts of his game start to decline. He may keep losing speed but his size and strength won't go anywhere. I think he is the type of intelligent D-man who will learn to adapt his game in older age and may surprise a few people here (judging by recent comments). His price tag will definitely be heavy at some point but I don't ever see him being a liability.
I don't think he's slow at all but the trend this year is putting a ton of pressure on the forecheck. This is proving to be very effective early on when Dmen are not quite in sync. Weber will have to adapt but I don't see this sharp decline that others are seeing. I'm just seeing typical October hockey where every defender in the league is getting torched

Reactions: Goal Caufield

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
He was very good last night and what helped that was Meat finally did his share of the heavy lifting. It's amazing how much better a guy looks when he doesn't have to cover for a partner that's running around with his head cut off.

All 3 pairs were solid last night. Petey had a tough night, but he usually has those every couple of games.

The hate on the PK goal where Army was out to lunch was funny though. They either don't have a clue about assignments or just need something to batch about :)
Yeah shows that some are pretty quick to bash Weber or just didn't see the play develop properly. Meanwhile, Petry got absolutely torched by Blais and nobody said a damn thing lol. These guys will have off nights here and there but they're both quality Dmen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This kid looks special, so pumped to have him/Romanov/Harris etc. We're starting to have too many assets tho :D. It's a good problem to have as long as management makes the right decisions.

Weber's on the decline and Petry will be 34 in December of the first year of his next contract. I'd rather trade him for good picks and prospects than extend him under those circumstances. If he were 28 I'd say extend him. But he's not, unfortunately.

Plus all the kids won't pan out. So it's nice to have in the system:

Romanov Brook
Mete Juulsen
Struble Fleury
Harris Norlinder (apparently from his latest goal, it seems he can play the right side 5 on 5)
Fairbrother, Leguerrier

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Weber's on the decline and Petry will be 34 in December of the first year of his next contract. I'd rather trade him for good picks and prospects than extend him under those circumstances. If he were 28 I'd say extend him. But he's not, unfortunately.

Plus all the kids won't pan out. So it's nice to have in the system:

Romanov Brook
Mete Juulsen
Struble Fleury
Harris Norlinder (apparently from his latest goal, it seems he can play the right side 5 on 5)
Fairbrother, Leguerrier
Petry is 31

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
Petry will be 34 in December of the first year of his next contract.

Petry is 31

Thats what 26Mats said. He's 31 now - which makes him 32 in december. 1 more year under current contract, makes him 33 next december. He'll be 34 in december of the first year of his next contract.

Since Weber is going nowhere under MB, it probably makes sense to at least consider moving Petry for assets now. Although TBH, I think MB is cooking up a plan to get us a top LD and try to contend now... which im not sure is the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad