Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Weber's leadership will do wonders on our young defensemen, Mete has been pretty solid lately and could have gotten a couple more pts with a bit of luck, he really is skating and moving the puck well while being defensively solid... Kulak has been pretty good as well so far this year, just imagine what it will be in about 2 yrs from now with kids like Brook Fleury Romanov Juulsen...

Future looks so bright!!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Still ain't producing much though.
Agreed. But I see a world of difference between the Mete of last year that had to be uber-sheltered to the point of ridicule at times, and the more mature Mete of this year who is not afraid to play against any top line and come out ahead in goal differential most nights.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Agreed. But I see a world of difference between the Mete of last year that had to be uber-sheltered to the point of ridicule at times, and the more mature Mete of this year who is not afraid to play against any top line and come out ahead in goal differential most nights.
Sure, hes better.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
It's hard to measure the impact of defensive experts like Weber. I noticed that as this season progressed and teams tightened up and built chemistry, Habs defensive play dipped. The 4 or 5 be games before Weber's return in particular the Habs were a disaster in their own end. Price just wasn't himself.

In comes Weber. Price suddenly activates god mode. Reilly plays better. Mete looks more assertive. Somehow Jordie Benn looks like a legit useful player. Kulak turns into a decent regular. Petry has more energy late in games. The defenders as a group look more confident and composed. Maybe this collective defensive improvement has to do with Weber's stare? Or maybe it's his ability to skate faster than a horse? Maybe his demeanour, his calming presence and his alleged leadership actually do help? Or perhaps it could have to do with how good he is at protecting his net, and with how his role as the number one bumps the others down in the depth chart in a spot more suited to them? Not sure what it is but I suspect Weber has a significant impact on this team's defence.

On offence his 9-11-20 +17 in 31 GP stat line helps that's for sure.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am hoping Romanov comes over ASAP. September? Want to get him paired with Weber. Be scary with Romanov's skill and how much Weber improved Mete.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Before coming back from injury: "Weber won't fix our defense"

Looks like he actually did.

This season should put a nail in this board’s old common wisdom that he’s over the hill, questionable leader, slow, no vision et cetera

This team is completely different with and without Weber. And I never put much stock in who is captain, or even the value of a captain or leadership in general, but now I’m starting to change my mind. What a different between him and patches...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If he had played the whole year Weber is on a 53pt pace, +45. He's a crazy +17 already. Definitely fixed our D & helped Price relax and just play goal.

Reactions: Andrei79

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This season should put a nail in this board’s old common wisdom that he’s over the hill, questionable leader, slow, no vision et cetera

Those observations don't seem as relevant now, so expect the mocking to start focusing on "offer-sheet Weber".

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Those observations don't seem as relevant now, so expect the mocking to start focusing on "offer-sheet Weber".

Intangibles can be exaggerated and/or overvalued by some but the mantra on the other side was they were so negligible that any kind of acknowledgement of them is beyond wrong headed. Sure they're obviously traits that are hard to pin down and quantify but those things have never stopped us from wild speculation before in other areas where material evidence is not available to us.

Super stoked he's a Hab bottom line.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
#GoHabsGo⁠ ⁠ Shea Weber made his season debut on November 27th. His 9 goals since then are tied for the most in the NHL among defencemen.

But he's not elite

Jul 6, 2016
#GoHabsGo⁠ ⁠ Shea Weber made his season debut on November 27th. His 9 goals since then are tied for the most in the NHL among defencemen.

But he's not elite

Only future HoF PK Subban is.... according to some on this board.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Intangibles can be exaggerated and/or overvalued by some but the mantra on the other side was they were so negligible that any kind of acknowledgement of them is beyond wrong headed. Sure they're obviously traits that are hard to pin down and quantify but those things have never stopped us from wild speculation before in other areas where material evidence is not available to us.

Super stoked he's a Hab bottom line.
by some ? come on now... :laugh:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

But he's not elite
I'm not quoting you specially but I suspect there were long discussions here about yes or no he is an elite. What is that reference he's not elite or he's elite?
Weber would be the best D ever ...without being elite ? I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad