Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not talking about all that. I'm saying that Gill playing with PK was good for PK . Weber playing with Mete is good for Mete. That is all.
Hmm..was it? How do you know? Gill playing with PK was great for Gill. I'd argue it made PK's life a bit harder.
Markov playing with PK...yes, that definitely was good.

Weber with Mete...no doubt, it helps the kid. Hes still quite disappointing to me.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
defense mechanism.

You love the guy so much you don't want anyone to say anything remotely bad about him. So his mythical leadership is taken for granted and whoever dare questionning it well, it's all on them and they clearly have an agenda.

or something along those lines.

reality : whatever is being said here will not change the way SW plays, you can relax a bit.

You completely lack any self awareness. All this BS about his leadership is YOUR defense mechanism. I’m sure you were in the camp that thought we were getting a fading, borderline first pairing guy. Couldn’t move the puck, second worst trade ever. Well that hasn’t panned out has it? Amazing we never even hear about his foot speed or puck moving deficiencies anymore. Or his terrible advanced stats - unreal that advanced stats don’t matter now that he has strong ones.

Wheres LG to tell us all about advanced stats and how they show this player is a plug. Remember when Josi was carrying him? That was a good one eh? He is producing with Mete, Benn and Kulak at the same pace as he produced with Josi.

On leadership....I will agree - again, see post above where I say as much - that I don’t care about his leadership. I don’t think about it much, I’m not in the room or close to the players. When I watch the game tonight I won’t be watching how he leads, rather how he defends.

I literally have no idea if he is a good leader but all indications are he is. If you have any evidence contrary lets hear it.

Cause you leadership guys are arguing against yourself. And it looks silly to stand up a strawman and continually knock it down when he has been so good this year.

But by all means lets talk about his stare, etc. Things we all have no idea about. About as useful as arguing his skate size or favourite colour.

My last post to you on this, you will pick out a few sentences and spout out something that is barely legible. Not interested in being dragged into your vortex.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Hmm..was it? How do you know? Gill playing with PK was great for Gill. I'd argue it made PK's life a bit harder.

Weber with Mete...no doubt, it helps the kid. Hes still quite disappointing to me.
Idk I've always like PK playing with a stay at home dman. Sure, Gill wasn't amazing but it allowed PK to roam around and work on his offensive game. I liked it.

Mete I like defensively quite a bit. I think it's too early to be dissapointed in a 20 year old 5th round puck dman

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Well of course Mete is dissapointing, he isn’t even an NHL dman with Weber out of the lineup much less playing top pair. Carrying your partner doesn’t mean turning Mete into Markov.

FWIW Ekholm is having a career year playing on a different pairing. And PK is not producing with Josi....again, they have not produced well together, for whatever thats worth. They lasted about 20 games his first season and they looked terrible together.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Idk I've always like PK playing with a stay at home dman. Sure, Gill wasn't amazing but it allowed PK to roam around and work on his offensive game. I liked it.

Mete I like defensively quite a bit. I think it's too early to be dissapointed in a 20 year old 5th round puck dman
Point was...the same leadership can come from a bottom pair veteran Dman.

For Mete, I'm saying disappointing in relation to his lack of growth since his first games with us.
I give him a bit of a pass as I think he should have been in the AHL last year and this year, to perfect his offense side. I wanted him to become our version of Krug but they didn't let him grow his offense and it shows now.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
defense mechanism.

You love the guy so much you don't want anyone to say anything remotely bad about him. So his mythical leadership is taken for granted and whoever dare questionning it well, it's all on them and they clearly have an agenda.

or something along those lines.

reality : whatever is being said here will not change the way SW plays, you can relax a bit.

If its so important to you to believe that his leadership is overstated despite coaches and players coming out and saying it, its fine. You can question all you want but the fact of the matter is you are the one with no evidence to support your point of view.

I wanted to reply also with another angle. You argue that his leadership is easily ''replaceable''. His leadership being compared to hall gill's leadership and mentoring of PK and all. There is a difference when a player that's elite brings the same work ethic with him than a 3rd pairing, 4th liner does. that's why crosby and toews and guys like that have other, more technical players gravitating around them. It humbles everyone when a guy that dominates his position outworks you. I have plenty of personal experiences to share, but I'm sure you understand.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well of course Mete is dissapointing, he isn’t even an NHL dman with Weber out of the lineup much less playing top pair. Carrying your partner doesn’t mean turning Mete into Markov.

FWIW Ekholm is having a career year playing on a different pairing. And PK is not producing with Josi....again, they have not produced well together, for whatever thats worth. They lasted about 20 games his first season and they looked terrible together.

Okay..that doesn't have much to do with what we were discussing though.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

For Mete, I'm saying disappointing in relation to his lack of growth since his first games with us.
I give him a bit of a pass as I think he should have been in the AHL last year and this year, to perfect his offense side. I wanted him to become our version of Krug but they didn't let him grow his offense and it shows now.
Coming from Weber I'd consider it a bonus.

And I hope you are watching the game tonight. I think Mete is showing his upside. He's still only 20. Not convinced he's better in the AHL rather than with Weber

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Coming from Weber I'd consider it a bonus.

And I hope you are watching the game tonight. I think Mete is showing his upside. He's still only 20. Not convinced he's better in the AHL rather than with Weber
I know his upside, that's why so many people were excited seeing him early as a rookie too.
He is passed the point of just ''showing''...He's got 7 assists...like last year with pretty much the same amount of games played. He's close to 100 games, he needs to start producing a bit more.
Not asking for 10 goals here...but he needs to start converting his chances.

Reactions: DangerDave

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It seems like every season Weber is on a 20 goal pace., pretty rare for dmen.

I believe the only Hab to do it more then once was Guy Lapointe who had three 20 goal seasons. Larry Robinson never reached 20 goals.

Weber has 3 20 seasons and is closing in on 200 goals, another impressive accomplishment.

Reactions: Deebs and scrubadam

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You completely lack any self awareness. All this BS about his leadership is YOUR defense mechanism. I’m sure you were in the camp that thought we were getting a fading, borderline first pairing guy. Couldn’t move the puck, second worst trade ever. Well that hasn’t panned out has it? Amazing we never even hear about his foot speed or puck moving deficiencies anymore. Or his terrible advanced stats - unreal that advanced stats don’t matter now that he has strong ones.

You have yet to show a post of mine saying Weber IS fading (now obviously, not in 5 or 10 years) yet YOU have no problem making it up.
You have yet to show a post of mine saying Weber is BORDERLINE 1st pair D, yet you pretend I do.
You have yet to show a post of mine saying Weber can't move the puck, yet it's ok to invent it.
You have yet to show a post of mine saying it's one of the worst Habs trade, yet no problem again putting it on me right ?
And guess what ? you have yet to show a post of mine talking about his advanced stats...

YOU have yet to show a single anecdote, a single example of Weber being at the very top of the leadership group in this league, all you have is other people saying he's good, yet you act as if him being THE leaders among leaders is a well known fact... no way you're going to discuss it, unless it's to make up stuff about other people to defend the guy (pretty sure you can keep loving the guy without making stuff up)...

at the very least you could have made an effort to find some stuff (like DanderDave did, might not be the best example, but that's something one can start with you know), but nah! too busy making stuff up.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
If its so important to you to believe that his leadership is overstated despite coaches and players coming out and saying it, its fine. You can question all you want but the fact of the matter is you are the one with no evidence to support your point of view.

I wanted to reply also with another angle. You argue that his leadership is easily ''replaceable''. His leadership being compared to hall gill's leadership and mentoring of PK and all. There is a difference when a player that's elite brings the same work ethic with him than a 3rd pairing, 4th liner does. that's why crosby and toews and guys like that have other, more technical players gravitating around them. It humbles everyone when a guy that dominates his position outworks you. I have plenty of personal experiences to share, but I'm sure you understand.
huh... evidence of what exactly ?

it's pretty straight forward : for every single one of the "great" leaders in the NHL there's an example or two of said great leadership (I even gave examples, Messier calling a W, Gainey playing with dislocated shoulder).

given the fact that he's being considered a GREAT leader, there must an example of said amazing leadership, just ONE...

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
If Weber keeps this play up down the stretch and despite missing a lot of games to begin the season,he has to be in the norris conversation.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If Weber keeps this play up down the stretch and despite missing a lot of games to begin the season,he has to be in the norris conversation.
He won't have the points to be in the conversation. Even if he was healthy all year its a tough sell to give it to a guy who finishes with less than 50 points.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
thing is, IMO, and it'S NOT a knock on Weber... Petry's play has been good enough to consider him as Habs #1D -> this season <-

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
thing is, IMO, and it'S NOT a knock on Weber... Petry's play has been good enough to consider him as Habs #1D -> this season <-
Petry had played great this year but everyone knows who runs the D. Petry in the 2nd pairing is the best thing for him and the team.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

WHAT PLANET ARE YOU PEOPLE ON??????

Reactions: DangerDave

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Petry had played great this year but everyone knows who runs the D. Petry in the 2nd pairing is the best thing for him and the team.
I'm not debating who brings what on the team as far as indivicual skills goes, just that Petry is having a wonderful season (remember who were the other D with Weber out at the start of the season ? lol), enough to think that in this very season he's above any other Habs D.

I do not expect him to get norris votes or anything though, reputation.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Mete is doing fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad