Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I think it's the lack of training from the time he lost because of that foot injury that is revealing itself.

He's struggling, and coincidentally, the rest of the team too.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I watch Weber skate and my legs hurt

He's that painfully slow.
He’s made a massive difference, but it’s becoming increasingly clear that the workload is too much for him. He’ll be torched by the speedy forwards of other teams come playoff time. I fear another SJS game 7 may be on the horizon.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Weber is arbuably the best player in the game. He is a #1 NHL defenseman and hands down best leader in game. Not even a distant second.

A6LMxus.png
qL9oX7U.png

zE0KV1U.gif

You can argue anything, but there are good arguments and there are bad ones.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
He started off hot but like many predicted, the injuries and lack of playing/training are taking their toll. The guy has a lot of miles on him. Hopefully he can recover over the summer.

InTheWrist

May 24, 2011
This coming off season is the last remaining opportunity of acquiring good value for Weber if you want to move him. I don't think you can acquire anything useful for him if you wait 2 more years.

Personally, i'd look at targeting Edmonton; RNH plus a serviceable D-man(maybe Russel) for Weber plus a serviceable forward. This team is not going anywhere soon; at least for the next 2 years.

In my view, there is no point in letting Weber soldier along if you are not ready to make a real push. And this team is not ready. Trade Weber and get younger.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
He started off hot but like many predicted, the injuries and lack of playing/training are taking their toll. The guy has a lot of miles on him. Hopefully he can recover over the summer.

This was my greatest fear with him , he is a fantastic player but he has A LOT of hard and long miles in the West and injuries are starting to pile up .

Hoping he can get healthy in the next few years and give a few more good years .

I may start looking on deals for him if the right one comes along unless MB thinks we will be a legit contender within 3 years .

Or.. here is to hoping he somehow gets Chara luck and slows down but remains highly effective

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
This coming off season is the last remaining opportunity of acquiring good value for Weber if you want to move him. I don't think you can acquire anything useful for him if you wait 2 more years.
I disagree. Reputation is incredibly powerful in sports and lucky for the Habs, Weber's reputation far exceeds his impact (disclaimer: I acknowledge that Weber is a greatly talented d-men, I don't mean to discount his talent).

I am sure that even if* Weber is on a steep decline (which I don't necessarily agree with), there are still GMs who will continue to believe in the mountain man can stare you into playing better reputation.

The question isn't whether or not Weber will be tradable, the question is at what point is best to just cut ties with Weber?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Also because of is contract structure some team might take him regardless of performance to reach the floor and help their young player progress because of is reputation. But in that scenario you won’t get much value.
I think it is better to trade a year early and get good return than a year too late and below avg return.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I disagree. Reputation is incredibly powerful in sports and lucky for the Habs, Weber's reputation far exceeds his impact (disclaimer: I acknowledge that Weber is a greatly talented d-men, I don't mean to discount his talent).

I am sure that even if* Weber is on a steep decline (which I don't necessarily agree with), there are still GMs who will continue to believe in the mountain man can stare you into playing better reputation.

The question isn't whether or not Weber will be tradable, the question is at what point is best to just cut ties with Weber?

Any year now. 33 coming off of two consecutive surgeries, not getting any younger.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I watch Weber skate and my legs hurt

He's that painfully slow.

There's a reason they play him with Kulak or Mete. It isn't because he's mentoring them, or because they deserve to be 1st pairing d-men. It because he's slow, and they need some mobility on the pairing.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

Weber was very talented.

Possibly the worst trade in habs history

Reactions: jordy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Weber was very talented.

Possibly the worst trade in habs history
Weber is still very talented, and while I hate the trade, it is not the worst trade in habs history.

It's maybe one of the silliest and most useless trade given the magnitude of the trade, but certainly not the worst. It wasn't egregious, it was just so unnecessary.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Weber is still very talented, and while I hate the trade, it is not the worst trade in habs history.

It's maybe one of the silliest and most useless trade given the magnitude of the trade, but certainly not the worst. It wasn't egregious, it was just so unnecessary.

Even if Weber was the most talented player on the planet he's got no energy left to compete in the NHL.

The guy is literally standing still on the Defensive Blue line and he's trying to find someone to make a pass too..... that's supposed to be your number #1 D?

Maybe they need to manage his ice time but he's clearly not suited to be a reliable no1 anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad