Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Since the thread was bumped did anyone even say "Weber is the best leader in the NHL"? I looked and saw nothing in last 3 pages. Maybe it goes before that but I don't recall it apart from the memes.
Maybe not in the current conversation but after the trade ya. If you asked I'm sure plenty here would say they believe that.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Weber's going to retire as a Habs player! Bookmark this post.

Thats if he plays the remaining of his contract.
If he does not, then we can trade him to Nashville and get an asset back so they dont get the cap penalty.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Mete on Weber:

We didn’t really speak or anything,” Mete recalled. “He didn’t know who I was, but I knew who he was. It was a little bit weird.”
But that weirdness went away after Weber invited Mete to his house during training camp.
“He invited me over to his place for dinner one night because I was still at the hotel, and that was the first time I really got to talk to him and kind of be with him,” Mete recalled.

“He’s really funny,” Mete added, revealing a side of the Canadiens captain fans and media rarely get to see from the man of few words in front of a microphone or cameras. “He’s always joking. Everybody who walks in (the locker room), he has something to say about them in a funny way. He just cares about all the guys. He’s always asking if guys are OK, how they’re doing. He really cares for them, especially younger guys like me and KK (Jesperi Kotkaniemi), seeing how we’re doing, just being here kind of thing.”

"The only advice he ever really gives to me is just skate and play your game,” Mete said. “Don’t change it for anything. If we need to adjust anything, we’ll do it between periods. … But so far, we haven’t had any disagreements about anything and it’s been pretty smooth, so I think it’s pretty good.”

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Mete on Weber:

We didn’t really speak or anything,” Mete recalled. “He didn’t know who I was, but I knew who he was. It was a little bit weird.”
But that weirdness went away after Weber invited Mete to his house during training camp.
“He invited me over to his place for dinner one night because I was still at the hotel, and that was the first time I really got to talk to him and kind of be with him,” Mete recalled.

“He’s really funny,” Mete added, revealing a side of the Canadiens captain fans and media rarely get to see from the man of few words in front of a microphone or cameras. “He’s always joking. Everybody who walks in (the locker room), he has something to say about them in a funny way. He just cares about all the guys. He’s always asking if guys are OK, how they’re doing. He really cares for them, especially younger guys like me and KK (Jesperi Kotkaniemi), seeing how we’re doing, just being here kind of thing.”

"The only advice he ever really gives to me is just skate and play your game,” Mete said. “Don’t change it for anything. If we need to adjust anything, we’ll do it between periods. … But so far, we haven’t had any disagreements about anything and it’s been pretty smooth, so I think it’s pretty good.”

Leader of men

Reactions: cphabs and Andrei79

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Mete on Weber:

"The only advice he ever really gives to me is just skate and play your game,”
Mete said. “Don’t change it for anything. If we need to adjust anything, we’ll do it between periods. … But so far, we haven’t had any disagreements about anything and it’s been pretty smooth, so I think it’s pretty good.”

Funny...ain't that what Gill told PK?..

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
As much as I liked PK, and hated the trade, this team is doing well at least in part as a result of the chemistry in the locker room, which strikes me as very harmonious this year. Whether that percolates from Price and Weber or whether it comes from trading Empty for Claude, it's an encouraging turn from the circus of the previous years. Of course some of last summer's other trades that ended up being equally transformative also had to help. There is so much parity in the league, that winning one or two trades can galvanize a team, especially if your goaltender is world-class when at his best.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
As much as I liked PK, and hated the trade, this team is doing well at least in part as a result of the chemistry in the locker room, which strikes me as very harmonious this year. Whether that percolates from Price and Weber or whether it comes from trading Empty for Claude, it's an encouraging turn from the circus of the previous years. Of course some of last summer's other trades that ended up being equally transformative also had to help. There is so much parity in the league, that winning one or two trades can galvanize a team, especially if your goaltender is world-class when at his best.
Personally, I think a lot of it comes from the coaching change...

don't think it's possible to have a decent ambiance in the lockerroom when you have coaches claiming this room has the worst C in history and constantly blast players in the room or the medias.

Clode might not have been my #1 choice for the HC job, but he's a classy guy at least.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Personally, I think a lot of it comes from the coaching change...

don't think it's possible to have a decent ambiance in the lockerroom when you have coaches claiming this room has the worst C in history and constantly blast players in the room or the medias.

Clode might not have been my #1 choice for the HC job, but he's a classy guy at least.

That's exactly why I bring it up. Empty was utterly gangrenous for this team, with his mendacity, double-standards, and bullying. The team gained 30 IQ points flushing and replacing him... by anyone.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's exactly why I bring it up. Empty was utterly gangrenous for this team, with his mendacity, double-standards, and bullying. The team gained 30 IQ points flushing and replacing him... by anyone.
I think 1) comes from winning, and 2) having a coach that defends his guys.
Even when Claude feels some guys aren't giving their all in terms of effort, he talks about it very diplomatically in the press.
Therrien has a bully attitude and his understanding of human behavior is elementary to say the least.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Mete on Weber:

And here I thought he only communicated in grunts and stares :sarcasm:

Nice story.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Getting Koktaniemi was a big plus also. Fills the giant hole at center we have had since Kirk Muller. Last year was hard to take but getting Koktaniemi and Romanov will make it worth it over next 15 years. It is difficult to get core players.

Reactions: cphabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd say that worked out pretty well for PK.
Did it? PK was already a top pairing D when we heard that, and over the following years, he was repeatedly bashed by his own coach, was deemed uncoachable, selfish, could not even get the endorsement of our organization for the Olympics, until he was eventually traded.

Maybe things worked out for PK in the end as hes happy in NSH but didnt really work out for him in Mtl.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Yeah but did it have anything to do with PK, or more about Max Poutyface or Chucky (less likely) leaving?

I don't see the logic with PK. The team had zero cohesion last year. PK wasn't there, but Poutyface was.

Reactions: Pickles

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He’s a good leader and seems like a good guy. Personally I don’t really care about that. I like that he kills the other teams offense 25 mins a game, is on pace for 20 goals and 45 points. Can play with anyone, moves the puck very well, blocks shots, is physical, etc.

Has basically been playing better hockey then Doughty’s Norris season since he got here. Probably would have been top 5 again with a full season. Year he got hurt was one of the best starts of his career.

Bottom line guy is clear top 10 at his position in the league and shows no sign of slowing down. I said the day of the trade and stand by it that the contract is in fact a great one for Montreal and he will play first line D into his late 30s

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I’ll add, I think all this leadership, mean stare talk is a way to distract from how good he has been post trade. Hard to argue with his play, much easier to knock around the Man Mountain meme.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I’ll add, I think all this leadership, mean stare talk is a way to distract from how good he has been post trade. Hard to argue with his play, much easier to knock around the Man Mountain meme.
He's an excellent player and the guys really like him so much so that Mete and KK even call him dad . I'd say that makes him a pretty good leader.

Reactions: cphabs

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Did it? PK was already a top pairing D when we heard that, and over the following years, he was repeatedly bashed by his own coach, was deemed uncoachable, selfish, could not even get the endorsement of our organization for the Olympics, until he was eventually traded.

Maybe things worked out for PK in the end as hes happy in NSH but didnt really work out for him in Mtl.
I'm not talking about all that. I'm saying that Gill playing with PK was good for PK . Weber playing with Mete is good for Mete. That is all.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
defense mechanism.

You love the guy so much you don't want anyone to say anything remotely bad about him. So his mythical leadership is taken for granted and whoever dare questionning it well, it's all on them and they clearly have an agenda.

or something along those lines.

reality : whatever is being said here will not change the way SW plays, you can relax a bit.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad