Value of: Shayne Gostisbehere

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don't understand this. The Canucks have a better Ghost in Hughes. Both are LHD and both thrive on PP1. There's only one puck to go around and I wouldn't endorse booting Hughes off the top PP for Ghost. And, unless Ghost is hogging up PP time and putting up points, he's average at best. IMO, the last thing the Canucks need is another offensive-minded PP defenseman. Having two like that is a recipe for disaster--look at Toronto this year when they added Barrie. Unless Barrie was getting top PP time (which Rielly was) he was highly ineffective and wasted. The Canucks could use solid, puck-moving D that are above average in their own end. They would be better off with a Sanheim or Myers (from Philly) than a Ghost.
Even though Ghost is a LH player he plays more effectively on the right side. Hughes can be the puck mover from the left on the first pairing. Ghost could be the right sided puck mover on the 2nd pairing. The Canucks have nothing on the right side, especially with offensive dmen and Ghosts cap hit is reasonable.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe coaches make odd decisions?

In the playoffs, Ghost has 2 pts in 5 games 5v5, is +2...and xGF 3.11 vs xGA 3.13
Meanwhile, Mr,Hagg has 2 pts in 9 games 5vs5, is +2...and xGF 2.84 vs xGA 4.87

So with Ghost..xGF and xGA cancel each other out. With Hagg....he is expected to give up 2 more goals against. But Hagg is PERCEIVED to be good defensively, but isn't.

Maybe it's the high danger area? Let's check.

Ghost: HDCF 13 vs HDCA 16....so 44.63%
Hagg: HDCF 11 vs HDCA 32....so 25.58%
Nope, Ghost wins that in a landslide too

But Hagg wins due to being fortunate. Look at ACTUAL HDGF and HDGA results:

Ghost 1 vs 1....which makes sense given he is at 44.63%...it's pretty even...but offense converting 8% and opponent converting 6%

Hagg 4 vs 3....so the offense is converting 36% of their HD shots with Hagg on the ice, but the opponent only converting 9%.

Hagg is a walking rabbit's foot.

Hmmm...on second thought, the Flyers will keep the bum Ghost since he has no value. But do we have a LHD stud for you in Hagg!! Make your offers! He must be good if he is playing.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'm curious on Flyer's fans thoughts about him for the ED? Likely won't be protected, so do you guys view him as someone you want to get out from under due to the contract? Is there a possibility the team trades him on the low just to get something for him?

I know the preference would likely be for Seattle to take JVR, but may have to attach an asset to get Seattle to take that on, I don't know.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm curious on Flyer's fans thoughts about him for the ED? Likely won't be protected, so do you guys view him as someone you want to get out from under due to the contract? Is there a possibility the team trades him on the low just to get something for him?

I know the preference would likely be for Seattle to take JVR, but may have to attach an asset to get Seattle to take that on, I don't know.
Most would rather keep him for another year to bridge the gap to Zamula and York who could use another year developing.

Braun is a UFA and if they do nothing, then:

Provy Niskanen
Sanheim Myers
Hagg Ghost
Friedman(needs to clear waivers next year)

So they don't NEED to move Ghost at all, and if they do, will need another Dman for the top 7. But if AV really thinks Hagg should be playing over him(he shouldn't) then maybe he is moved to give him a new start elsewhere. And I will bet when he does get moved, he will have good year.

Just think, in his last game played....a 4-0 loss to NYI:

Ghost not on the ice for any goals against...only pairing that can say that
CF 27, CA 15....so 64.29%...Best D on the team
CF% Rel: 12.11...Best D on team
SF% Rel: 10.42...2nd best on team behind Braun his pairing Dman. Next best Dman was at 2.78. Nisky was -22.72!
High Danger...on ice for 4 chances for, 3 against....Best D on team. Sanheim outchanced 3-8!

Does that look like a performance that should get a Dman benched? Hagg was the replacement and the VERY NEXT game:

Hagg outchanced 7-19 Worst on team, CF% -21.31 Worst on team, HDCF rel% -30% Worst on team

Anyway, who knows what Mgt will do because it's confusing what they have done. They went away from what worked in the reg season and went with slower players like Hagg, Grant and Thompson and in the process, have killed our depth scoring which was a strong suit of ours in the reg season. So who knows.

Last edited:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont

I think that Ghost and JVR are in a similar position and that most fans/potentially Flyers management would be okay losing either in the ED.

Absolutely both would be nice to trade but it would only be if the Flyers could improve the team now. That could be in the form of getting something useful back for them or opening up the cap room to sign someone who can help.

But otherwise, there's no point in trading either for mid or late picks or fringe prospects as these are the type of guys you would want to acquire at the trade deadline.

There may be a better market for them at the TDL if the Flyers perceive they don't need them. Teams may be more willing to take them on knowing they could be a "rental" and be exposed in the ED.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and Forge

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Ghost is 4 on the pecking order for D. Myers Sanheim and Provorov are locks and assuming Flyers didn't sign Lindblom to a 3 year deal out of the goodness of their hearts he is the 5th forward.

Ghost's value is in the toilet but you have a team that needs team speed and for the first time in 2 years Ghost has healthy knees. Braun needs to walk with his lack of speed. Maybe Ghost goes as a salary part of the trade say Ghost,York,2 (aka the max pac trade), but given a choice of a 2 or keeping Ghost for a year, I'd keep Ghost and lose in ED.

Reactions: Forge

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is what you get from playing a defender on the wrong side in the NHL. They wear down and are hammered too much. He is afraid to get into the corners, that is why he isn’t playing. You have to turn your back towards the ice to play the puck with your back hand when it’s dumped in your corner. It’s something all opposing teams talk about when they play you. Dump the puck in Ghost corner and chase him hard, it will pay-off. And if nothing else, after a while it does.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Maybe coaches make odd decisions?

In the playoffs, Ghost has 2 pts in 5 games 5v5, is +2...and xGF 3.11 vs xGA 3.13
Meanwhile, Mr,Hagg has 2 pts in 9 games 5vs5, is +2...and xGF 2.84 vs xGA 4.87

So with Ghost..xGF and xGA cancel each other out. With Hagg....he is expected to give up 2 more goals against. But Hagg is PERCEIVED to be good defensively, but isn't.

Maybe it's the high danger area? Let's check.

Ghost: HDCF 13 vs HDCA 16....so 44.63%
Hagg: HDCF 11 vs HDCA 32....so 25.58%
Nope, Ghost wins that in a landslide too

But Hagg wins due to being fortunate. Look at ACTUAL HDGF and HDGA results:

Ghost 1 vs 1....which makes sense given he is at 44.63%...it's pretty even...but offense converting 8% and opponent converting 6%

Hagg 4 vs 3....so the offense is converting 36% of their HD shots with Hagg on the ice, but the opponent only converting 9%.

Hagg is a walking rabbit's foot.

Hmmm...on second thought, the Flyers will keep the bum Ghost since he has no value. But do we have a LHD stud for you in Hagg!! Make your offers! He must be good if he is playing.
How about you keep both as we want neither.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think he'd be a good fit on Ottawa. Plays right side. Experienced. Low salary. Young enough to continue contributing for 5-7 years. Signed for a medium term. Good anchor to the second PP. Shouldn't require a lot of assets.

The downsides? Needs ice-time to rebuild value, high cap hit for a guy on the bottom pairing, etc.. aren't as big of a deal in Ottawa. The risk is pretty minimal. The underlying numbers say he's still solid and he'll be highly motivated to produce.

As long as the assets to get him are reasonable (no 1st rounders or top-tier prospects), and Philly likes/wants a guy like Reilly going the other way, I think a deal is possible.

Going from Reilly/Wolanin to Gostisbehere is a pretty solid upgrade for Ottawa and would and would only cost an additional 1.75M in actual dollars next year. Philly meanwhile could save 3M in cap space without dramatically downgrading their roster.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

we won't be paying for SEA to take JVR. The likely players of value exposed will be Ghost (if he's still here) and JVR.

Everyone else we have already able to be protected/isn't eligible.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
What teams are not protecting 3 d men for the ED?

There is NO incentive for PHI to trade Ghost if not for a low first/high second. Nobody wants to pay that if he's getting exposed in the ED anyway.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Ghost had his best game of the year in the round robin. Given consistent playing time I expect a return to form for ghost next season.

I don't know that even if he had another off year he'd get less than some of these offers.

I don't think the flyers will be protecting him in the expansion draft but he can absolutely play himself on to a team who will.

Consistent playing time? I don't want to see him in a Flyers sweater ever again.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I think that Ghost and JVR are in a similar position and that most fans/potentially Flyers management would be okay losing either in the ED.

Absolutely both would be nice to trade but it would only be if the Flyers could improve the team now. That could be in the form of getting something useful back for them or opening up the cap room to sign someone who can help.

But otherwise, there's no point in trading either for mid or late picks or fringe prospects as these are the type of guys you would want to acquire at the trade deadline.

There may be a better market for them at the TDL if the Flyers perceive they don't need them. Teams may be more willing to take them on knowing they could be a "rental" and be exposed in the ED.

Drive them both to the scrap heap/airport.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
We won’t sell Ghost while his value is low. If someone values him appropriately then he’ll be traded. If not, we’ll wait until his value goes up again.

The reason Hagg is playing over Ghost is because Braun-Hagg have played together all season and successfully play a low risk game off each other well. Hagg pins guys to the board and Braun takes the puck or vice versa. Despite the fancy stats, when Ghost played with Braun this postseason there was clear miscommunication between both every game. We already have a 2nd pair that plays risky, we can’t have 3 lines of risk-taking D-men.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I’ve seen this trade a few times on Capfriendly. From both Minnesota side and Philly side.

option 1

ghost + Frost + 2nd round pick for Dumba

option 2

Ghost + Frost + 1st round pick for Dumba + 2nd round pick.

are either of those attractive?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I’ve seen this trade a few times on Capfriendly. From both Minnesota side and Philly side.

option 1

ghost + Frost + 2nd round pick for Dumba

option 2

Ghost + Frost + 1st round pick for Dumba + 2nd round pick.

are either of those attractive?
Flyers are keeping Myers, Sanheim and Provorov for ED

Lindblom is 5th f for ED

Adding Dumba is not in the cards for at least 12 months.

Reactions: HEX

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Does Mete plus a 2nd move the needle? you get a guy that actually belongs on a 3rd pairing, and get the difference in value to spend somewhere else.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Petry isn’t better than ghost and we both know that, weber yes and that’s why I said them on the same line lmao, you want me to be honest I wouldn’t trade you braun for petry straight up
Wow @ the "we both know that".. Petry ranks in a bunch of top 25 D lists since a few years now, fans in Montreal argue about whether he is actually better than Weber at this point, he is clutch and somehow still seems to improve every year. He is physical and has fluid skating; he is definitely a #2-3 (or more) defensemen, while Ghost is starting to cast doubts as to whether he even has 2nd pairing potential. Petry>>>>Ghost

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
Does Mete plus a 2nd move the needle? you get a guy that actually belongs on a 3rd pairing, and get the difference in value to spend somewhere else.
Why is Mete always offered by Montreal? The games I’ve seen him in I’ve been impressed with his speed from the back end.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Why is Mete always offered by Montreal? The games I’ve seen him in I’ve been impressed with his speed from the back end.

I dont mind mete, he compensates for his little size with a good stick and fluid skating. I am offering him up because he'd be 3rd pairing if Romanov takes up 2nd pairing. Also, he was labelled as a OFD, but yeah.. thats not the case.

Reactions: WolfOfBroadStreet14

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
What teams are not protecting 3 d men for the ED?

There is NO incentive for PHI to trade Ghost if not for a low first/high second. Nobody wants to pay that if he's getting exposed in the ED anyway.

Detroit basically has Hronek locked up now, with the possibility of Cholowski/Dekeyser as the other 2. The latter two aren't top D to be protected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad