Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere Signs Multi-Year Extension (Six Years $4.5M Per)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Abandon thread. Save yourselves.

giphy.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
giphy.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... wonder where ever you could be going with this. :laugh:

But before this ends up becoming another one of those threads, I'll clarify I meant moving the puck, being in the offensive zone, and getting chances, not simply converting/scoring.

Watching Pens games with the CBC broadcast team, they actually mention this a lot. They said that Sullivan has told the Dmen to move the puck out of the zone as quickly as possible. And we are following that model of having ALL our Dmen be fast, and good passers.

I wish we had 1-2 speed demons up front.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Watching Pens games with the CBC broadcast team, they actually mention this a lot. They said that Sullivan has told the Dmen to move the puck out of the zone as quickly as possible. And we are following that model of having ALL our Dmen be fast, and good passers.

I wish we had 1-2 speed demons up front.

the difference is though, we have spent prime picks to draft those type of players, whereas the pens have shown that you don't need to invest tons to get that type of player.

Daley, schultz, dumolin, ian cole, hainsey, were all aquired for nothing. What they are doing has never really been done before. Its damn impressive. This will be the worst defense to have ever win a stanley cup and its its closest competitor would be last years penguins team. And when i say worst i mean worst on paper, because for some reason they are greater than the sum of their parts right now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That some reason is #87 and #71 and they had to bottom out to get those guys (and get lucky). The Pens shouldn't be used as a model of how to build a championship defense. They have two of the most dominant centers to ever play the game. It makes up for a lot.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
the difference is though, we have spent prime picks to draft those type of players, whereas the pens have shown that you don't need to invest tons to get that type of player.

Daley, schultz, dumolin, ian cole, hainsey, were all aquired for nothing. What they are doing has never really been done before. Its damn impressive. This will be the worst defense to have ever win a stanley cup and its its closest competitor would be last years penguins team. And when i say worst i mean worst on paper, because for some reason they are greater than the sum of their parts right now.

I agree, but they also have 3 top 5 picks at forward and we have none.

Also, a good coach does just that....the "greater than the sum of the parts". And Sullivan is a very good coach.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Their defense has sucked all playoffs, can barely move the puck, and it's truly a miracle they've gotten this far without Letang. They've been getting caved in possession and are so ridiculously lucky. Last postseason, yes, they did it and were the poster child. This year they play entire games in their own end and magically find a way to score still. Sullivan has done the best he can with that ragtag group and has shown the way he WANTS to play, but they are winning with anti-possession hockey and one of the worst defenses in the league. That's not a template.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That some reason is #87 and #71 and they had to bottom out to get those guys (and get lucky). The Pens shouldn't be used as a model of how to build a championship defense. They have two of the most dominant centers to ever play the game. It makes up for a lot.

exactly. Lets be clear here they have two of the most dominate centers to have ever played, and when they had kessel on his own line last year he was their best forward.

3 special type of forwards have contributed to there success.

Why you don't want to model your team after the pens, because it would be impossible. You do know that in order to win you need elite offensive players. It really is that simple. YOU can lose without elite offensive players , but you can't win without them.

I will always choose offense over d. Having a guy like ghost will always give us more pluses than minuses as long as he is used correctly.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Their defense has sucked all playoffs, can barely move the puck, and it's truly a miracle they've gotten this far without Letang. They've been getting caved in possession and are so ridiculously lucky. Last postseason, yes, they did it and were the poster child. This year they play entire games in their own end and magically find a way to score still. Sullivan has done the best he can with that ragtag group and has shown the way he WANTS to play, but they are winning with anti-possession hockey and one of the worst defenses in the league. That's not a template.

Hockey is a game where goals matter more than anything else. And it pains me when gm's don't understand that. I could have radulov score on one shot from an impossible angle, and give up 10 breakaways that are saved and i win. or i could have 30 chest snipes from james neal and give up 1 breakaway goal and lose. thats how the game works and thats how it will always work.

This ties into corsi a bit. We all know that corsi is a great after the fact stat to tell us which teams have a strong possession game. )Im not a fan of using it to apply to individuals). But here is the thing, we are in the middle of a hockey advanced stats revolution, and the amount of shots per game in the nhl has not changed much. In fact its gone down a bit. So even with this thinking it is hard to apply. Meaning it is hard to get shots on net, and even more so it is hard to get goals. At the end of the day goals need to be what is valued not shots.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Shots were actually up this year. Most since 2010-2011.

Shots are valued because shots lead to goals. You can shoot 23% like TJ Oshie did this year and score 33 goals and get paid, but it's unlikely he comes close to reproducing that number because he has a career shooting% of 13.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hockey is a game where goals matter more than anything else. And it pains me when gm's don't understand that. I could have radulov score on one shot from an impossible angle, and give up 10 breakaways that are saved and i win. or i could have 30 chest snipes from james neal and give up 1 breakaway goal and lose. thats how the game works and thats how it will always work.

This ties into corsi a bit. We all know that corsi is a great after the fact stat to tell us which teams have a strong possession game. )Im not a fan of using it to apply to individuals). But here is the thing, we are in the middle of a hockey advanced stats revolution, and the amount of shots per game in the nhl has not changed much. In fact its gone down a bit. So even with this thinking it is hard to apply. Meaning it is hard to get shots on net, and even more so it is hard to get goals. At the end of the day goals need to be what is valued not shots.

There's a lot to unpack here. I'm going to try avoid the specific and keep it general. It's also worth noting that I'm not separating the discussion of teams and individuals even though I really should.

The question is not goal metrics vs shot metrics. Given enough of a sample size, the goal metrics will be more accurate. The trick is when you cross into that area, which is a minefield at best. It turns out that we can probably be more accurate predicting within a season by foregoing both Score-Adjusted Corsi and GF%, turning instead to something akin to Dawson Sprigings' xGF model.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2015/10/0...predictor-of-future-scoring-than-corsi-goals/

His model factors in elements such as shot types/angles/distances, rebounds, on/off wings, shooter talent, etc.

To me, the next big leap will come when we have a solid answer as to how to measure quality of competition and teammates. Hell, one of the current theories is to look at opponents' ice time to determine QoC.

Finally, a small note. I know we say Corsi means possession as shorthand, but it's an important distinction to say we're using it as a proxy for it. Hopefully when we get the NHL equivalent of SportVU or FIELDf/x it opens up avenues we simply don't have available right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If keeping it in the offensive zone is the best defense, then forecheckers are worth more than mere "skaters." Since they keep possession in the offensive zone, you should pay for Corsi.

Of course, it's never that simple. You can have offensive players who give up a lot of goals because they keep the puck in the O-zone but make too many bad plays that end up as odd man rushes the other way. You can have defensive players who are good at clearing the puck out of the D-zone, triggering rushes where they never get points. And so on.

That's one reason I look at GF/GA per 60 ES minutes, it's a quick read on a player relative to his teammates, and his role.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's a lot to unpack here. I'm going to try avoid the specific and keep it general. It's also worth noting that I'm not separating the discussion of teams and individuals even though I really should.

The question is not goal metrics vs shot metrics. Given enough of a sample size, the goal metrics will be more accurate. The trick is when you cross into that area, which is a minefield at best. It turns out that we can probably be more accurate predicting within a season by foregoing both Score-Adjusted Corsi and GF%, turning instead to something akin to Dawson Sprigings' xGF model.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2015/10/0...predictor-of-future-scoring-than-corsi-goals/

His model factors in elements such as shot types/angles/distances, rebounds, on/off wings, shooter talent, etc.

To me, the next big leap will come when we have a solid answer as to how to measure quality of competition and teammates. Hell, one of the current theories is to look at opponents' ice time to determine QoC.

Finally, a small note. I know we say Corsi means possession as shorthand, but it's an important distinction to say we're using it as a proxy for it. Hopefully when we get the NHL equivalent of SportVU or FIELDf/x it opens up avenues we simply don't have available right now.

Isn't that what Hockey Reference uses, or something like that, to determine Expected +/-?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Don’t know if this has been posted anywhere but Ghost attended the high school in Florida where yesterday’s shooting occurred. His grandparents live a mile from the school.

SickScottMondo

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Blue Bell, PA
I didn't know he attended the school until today, but I did as well and Ghost and I may have been school mates as we're only two years apart. Such a shame what happened there...

Reactions: Rebels57

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't know he attended the school until today, but I did as well and Ghost and I may have been school mates as we're only two years apart. Such a shame what happened there...

He was only there for two years. He finished his other two years up North at a boarding school called South Kent School in Connecticut for hockey reasons obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad