Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere Signs Multi-Year Extension (Six Years $4.5M Per)

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Young Duncan Keith. And we've got Russian Kimmo with him.

Shout out to the people who threw that lofty comp out there early. I dont remember who you are but, kudos for sure.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Gostisbehere surpassed his points total from his breakout rookie season in 8 fewer games. I find this noteworthy because I think many doubted Gostisbehere's ability to match that production again in his career.

Here we are just two years later and it really looks like Gostisbehere has some upside for even better production.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty nuts that he is playing better than provy defensively and is having a monster offensive season. What an absolute stud. If we had signed a bridge deal we could be talking a 7 million a year contract next year.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Gostisbehere surpassed his points total from his breakout rookie season in 8 fewer games. I find this noteworthy because I think many doubted Gostisbehere's ability to match that production again in his career.

Here we are just two years later and it really looks like Gostisbehere has some upside for even better production.

It is kinda nuts but there hasn't been too many times I've felt this season he's gotten points by lucky bounces or etc. I don't think (could be though?) he'll be a guy who can score 60+ points year in and year out but I definitely think 50 points is easily possible since he's got the skills to do it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one will give Hakstol credit, but the system they've got with Provorov and Ghost is perfect for Ghost (more of a learning experience for Provorov). He plays back at the blue line, and Provorov attacks the net. This allows Ghost more room to maneuver, setting up shots and allowing him to make plays, while avoiding contact. It also allows him to use his speed to break up rushes the other way off turnovers. Ghost is best in open ice and this setup is giving him more opportunities to make plays.

Provorov is still learning how to finish, my suspicion is he'll spend the offseason working on his wrist shot, as a defenseman playing mostly at the point you're used to just firing away with slapshots, but when you attack the net and get more 10-15' shots, you need a quicker release and more accurate wrist shot.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Young Duncan Keith. And we've got Russian Kimmo with him.

Shout out to the people who threw that lofty comp out there early. I dont remember who you are but, kudos for sure.

I spent the whole summer of 2015 pointing out that Ghost's height and weight was pretty similar to what Duncan Keith was listed at in his draft year and early 20s.

Reactions: Tripod

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No one will give Hakstol credit, but the system they've got with Provorov and Ghost is perfect for Ghost (more of a learning experience for Provorov). He plays back at the blue line, and Provorov attacks the net. This allows Ghost more room to maneuver, setting up shots and allowing him to make plays, while avoiding contact. It also allows him to use his speed to break up rushes the other way off turnovers. Ghost is best in open ice and this setup is giving him more opportunities to make plays.

Provorov is still learning how to finish, my suspicion is he'll spend the offseason working on his wrist shot, as a defenseman playing mostly at the point you're used to just firing away with slapshots, but when you attack the net and get more 10-15' shots, you need a quicker release and more accurate wrist shot.

You're lying. Multiple people here have pointed out that Hak's theories and system are perfect for Ghost. I know I've done it multiple times.

We've also pointed out that Hak has spent a ton of time sabotaging himself by benching Ghost in favor of players who aren't suited for his system, and that Sanheim is practically born to play such a system...Hagg, who isn't, plays instead.

Yet somehow you won't find a way to criticize Hakstol for choosing the wrong players to run what he asks.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The most impressive thing about Ghost this year is he's just a much smarter, tougher player who's playing two way hockey.
He's even throwing his body around and got into a fight!
If he ever regains some of his rookie flash as he gets further from hip surgery, wow.

But I'm still convinced a lot of this is hard coaching, there are a bunch of offensive defensemen around the league who put up points but also really bad +/- and other defensive metrics, now plus minus is pretty limited, but if you're scoring a bunch of points it still means a lot of goals are being scored against your team when you're on the ice. Ghost is just a smarter, more responsible player who knows when to gamble and when to play it safe. He's become a player who is saving as many goals as he creates.

As Kimmo showed, a good offensive defenseman who's responsible defensively is more valuable than a great offensive defenseman who considers defense to be an afterthought.

PS: Even with his struggles last year, how could anyone think that 6x4.5 was a bad move for a talented player entering his peak years? I mean mediocre D-men get $2-4M.

I agree that Gostisbehere has drilled down on defense and is really excelling in all 3 zones now. His feistiness has also ratcheted up.

As for the effect of coaching:
"It's pretty cliché but I just said I'm going to go out there and have fun. I'm going to make plays and I don't care if I get yelled at," he said with a smile, "but I'm going to play my game and make my plays. People can look at is as risky but most of the time it works out for me."
That's from April 2017, and can be found here.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
69 is nice.

giphy.gif

Uh4zTo0NXuSTS

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree that Gostisbehere has drilled down on defense and is really excelling in all 3 zones now. His feistiness has also ratcheted up.

As for the effect of coaching:
"It's pretty cliché but I just said I'm going to go out there and have fun. I'm going to make plays and I don't care if I get yelled at," he said with a smile, "but I'm going to play my game and make my plays. People can look at is as risky but most of the time it works out for me."
That's from April 2017, and can be found here.
Yep. Which is exactly what we need Sanheim to do.

Ignoring Hak is how rookies improve.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You're lying. Multiple people here have pointed out that Hak's theories and system are perfect for Ghost. I know I've done it multiple times.

We've also pointed out that Hak has spent a ton of time sabotaging himself by benching Ghost in favor of players who aren't suited for his system, and that Sanheim is practically born to play such a system...Hagg, who isn't, plays instead.

Yet somehow you won't find a way to criticize Hakstol for choosing the wrong players to run what he asks.

And he benched Ghost tonight late while we were leading in his desperation to grab a loser point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->