Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere Signs Multi-Year Extension (Six Years $4.5M Per)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t feel like quoting him in case he comes back, but this was on page 4:

“Not saying much but Rob Ellis is one of the best in the Philly sports media.”

God forbid Flyers fans are honest with their own franchises stupidity. You have been doing those early sign contracts to young players for years and they have been a total train wreck. If the Flyers had any brains which they don't. The only player on their roster they should ever do that with is Provorov because he's a rare talent. Rangers almost never pay young players a lot before they have to. If anything they do bridge deals constantly which is what you are supposed to do. Only time I remember the Rangers doing that in recent memory was with McDonagh coming off a huge second year and a monster playoffs. Also a player way better than Gostisbehere.

Rangers biggest fault other than trading picks away are all the idiotic NTC and NMC they give out when there is no need to give out any. Unless a player is a rare talent which Gostisbehere is not close to being, you don't ever pay a young player under control way more than you have and way before you have to. It's dumb.

Still doesn’t top this take from the main forum when the deal was signed. It was really dumb then but looks even dumber now.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Still doesn’t top this take from the main forum when the deal was signed. It was really dumb then but looks even dumber now.
Last summer I went through Gostisbehere's draft thread from 2012 on here and took screenshots of some of the funnier in hindsight comments. Don't have or remember all of them anymore but my favorite one was that he'd be nothing more than a smaller version of Gus. Being skeptical of a guy right after he's drafted is different than the example you quoted, but it's still fun to read through and laugh at ourselves in retrospect.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The most impressive thing about Ghost this year is he's just a much smarter, tougher player who's playing two way hockey.
He's even throwing his body around and got into a fight!
If he ever regains some of his rookie flash as he gets further from hip surgery, wow.

But I'm still convinced a lot of this is hard coaching, there are a bunch of offensive defensemen around the league who put up points but also really bad +/- and other defensive metrics, now plus minus is pretty limited, but if you're scoring a bunch of points it still means a lot of goals are being scored against your team when you're on the ice. Ghost is just a smarter, more responsible player who knows when to gamble and when to play it safe. He's become a player who is saving as many goals as he creates.

As Kimmo showed, a good offensive defenseman who's responsible defensively is more valuable than a great offensive defenseman who considers defense to be an afterthought.

PS: Even with his struggles last year, how could anyone think that 6x4.5 was a bad move for a talented player entering his peak years? I mean mediocre D-men get $2-4M.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Appleyard is a god, but yeah I'm in the boat that say's what does this info even mean? Is Ghost a top 10 NHL d-man? I don't feel safe saying it personally but these stats? Wtf?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pretty telling that we saw such a shift in his play after he stopped listening to Hakstol last year and just played the way he knew was right. Ever since then he's been back to his same dynamic self.

Only difference lately is he isn't playing with an atrocious anchor who f***s him over, like he had been his entire career prior to getting paired with Provorov.

Now we just need him to have a talk with Sanheim and make sure he stops listening to Hakstol too.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
@Striiker

Go start that Ghost for Norris thread. You are our main boards liaison after all.
I'm the last person who should make that thread. :laugh:

If I make a thread on the main board about a Flyers player, Devils fans will swarm it for revenge and it'll be a bad time for everyone.

Anyways, I'm still off the grid after the last adventure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad