Speculation: Shattenkirk

warrior67

Jul 16, 2016
hockey purgatory
From NJ I would offer:

2018 1st
2017 2nd
Mid Tier Prospect (Blandisi)

When you compare that to the Rangers package for Yandle, its in-line, because having to wiat a year for the 1st and the step down in players involved are relative to the difference in term left on the main piece's deal.

Yandle had 2 years left under contract and Shatt has only 1.

If STL can beat that, God Bless.

Counteroffer- Pavel Zacha(with conditional 2018 2nd round pick if NJ resigns shatty) for Shattenkirk

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Well to be fair, seeing as were taking a step to solidify our future, I think it'd be in our best interest to trade Shattenkirk for futures. Blandisi+'18 1st+'17 2nd certainly isn't the deal I take, but to keep Shattenkirk and for him here to walk definitely isn't ideal considering the moves made.

well yeah. but it seemed like this guy was tryin to be all 'take my **** offer or else Shattenkirk will walk for free'. Maybe Shattenkirk will walk for free. But I'd rather have a very valuable player like Shattenkirk for one more shot at the Stanley Cup than some crappy return that won't help the team for several years, if at all.

That's not going to go over well.

says the guy who one post ago proposed a trade which sent out unsigned Shattenkirk, Lehtera/Berglund, and a conditional (lol) first and had the Blues somehow ending up with Fowler AND Nugent Hopkins...

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Why would a team in "win now" mode do that?

Same reason the team let their Captain and their starting playoff goaltender go. They aren't really in win now mode this year. They had two cores and are moving on with the younger core. Shattenkirk is a bit of a redundant piece for the Blues. There isn't enough ice tine @ RHD for Parayko, Shatty and Petro. None of them can play the left worth a damn. Our biggest need is an impact center. Our window is about 5 years. Schwartz, Petro, Tarasenko, Fabbri, Parayko and (gag) Allen are all signed or cost-controlled through that time frame. Zacha may not contribute next year, or even the next. But he would be able to contribute at the end of that window. The Blues should be looking for guys to contribute within that window, even if its a year or two down the road.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
well yeah. but it seemed like this guy was tryin to be all 'take my **** offer or else Shattenkirk will walk for free'. Maybe Shattenkirk will walk for free. But I'd rather have a very valuable player like Shattenkirk for one more shot at the Stanley Cup than some crappy return that won't help the team for several years, if at all.

I get what your saying, but the point I'm making is that we aren't really gunning for a cup run. Were not closing the window, but we have taken two steps down the hill to make sure our path up is safer and we can stay atop the hill for longer (terrible analogy but hopefully you get the point).
This roster, specifically on offense, has some gaping negatives. Our center core is continually weak, our RW depth isn't there and for us to be "true contender" Rattie and Jaskin need to be key contributors. It's a lot of anomalies and I'm uncertain these can come true. The point can be made that no team (except maybe Nashville) is definitively better, which is true as well.
Were in a weird spot. I'd advise using Shattenkirk to inject youth ELC players who can make an impact within 1-2 years. Our window is still open and getting another player at the age of Fabbri to further our window is what we need.

That being said, from New Jersey, Pavel Zacha has to be included. I'd take a Shattenkirk for Zacha+Cond. 2nd (becomes 1st if New Jersey makes playoffs or Shattenkirk resigns). Maybe some other moving parts need to be involved but either way Zacha is the only piece we would want.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I get what your saying, but the point I'm making is that we aren't really gunning for a cup run. Were not closing the window, but we have taken two steps down the hill to make sure our path up is safer and we can stay atop the hill for longer (terrible analogy but hopefully you get the point).
This roster, specifically on offense, has some gaping negatives. Our center core is continually weak, our RW depth isn't there and for us to be "true contender" Rattie and Jaskin need to be key contributors. It's a lot of anomalies and I'm uncertain these can come true. The point can be made that no team (except maybe Nashville) is definitively better, which is true as well.
Were in a weird spot. I'd advise using Shattenkirk to inject youth ELC players who can make an impact within 1-2 years. Our window is still open and getting another player at the age of Fabbri to further our window is what we need.

That being said, from New Jersey, Pavel Zacha has to be included. I'd take a Shattenkirk for Zacha+Cond. 2nd (becomes 1st if New Jersey makes playoffs or Shattenkirk resigns). Maybe some other moving parts need to be involved but either way Zacha is the only piece we would want.
Keep Shattenkirk. Even with Shattenkirk there's not a tremendous chance the Devils make the playoffs anyway, and we're not even getting him with an assured contract extension? No thanks.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
when I brought up a 3-way deal, I wasn't suggesting that was going to change Shatty's mind regarding Edmonton.

But trading with a partner who needs to send a D in the deal, that D goes to Edmonton.

otherwise, I know people are suggesting a deal with Philly doesn't make sense but a swap including Shatty and Gudas + could work if other team needs are addressed. Gudas would slot into the 3rd pairing behind Parayko and would become a fan favorite quickly.

warrior67

Jul 16, 2016
hockey purgatory
Keep Shattenkirk. Even with Shattenkirk there's not a tremendous chance the Devils make the playoffs anyway, and we're not even getting him with an assured contract extension? No thanks.

Having Hall and Shattenkirk could make a pretty big difference. You guys have great goaltending, and both players would push your offence. Imagine Hall and Shattenkirk on the PP, that would be a deadly unit.
Also, the contract extension is implied given that Shatty wants to play in the NY area and you guys have cap space.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
says the guy who one post ago proposed a trade which sent out unsigned Shattenkirk, Lehtera/Berglund, and a conditional (lol) first and had the Blues somehow ending up with Fowler AND Nugent Hopkins...

thatsthejoke.jpg

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Uhhhh I'm generally a pessimist about the team...but if they got Shattenkirk without moving any of the top 6, they would make the playoffs. I'd give them a 90% shot.

Heck they were in the running this year until late February. Add 35-40 goals (Hall and Shattenkirk) and they likely make it.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Uhhhh I'm generally a pessimist about the team...but if they got Shattenkirk without moving any of the top 6, they would make the playoffs. I'd give them a 90% shot.

Heck they were in the running this year until late February. Add 35-40 goals (Hall and Shattenkirk) and they likely make it.

Would you be willing to trade a package centered around Zacha for an extended Shatty then?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Boston continues to be the best fit:

Cap space: check
Young, cheap, attractive assets: check
A giant gaping hole at RHD: check
A giant gaping hole at PMD: check
Pressure to make the playoffs NOW: check
A place Shattenkirk will certainly re-sign: check

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Willingness to give up more than a late first: Ch....uh, guess not.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Is Boston willing to either take on Lehtera or give up the proper amount of futures?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Is Boston willing to either take on Lehtera or give up the proper amount of futures?

Well, "the proper amount" of futures is certainly the sticking point. But, given that check list, especially the need to make the playoffs NOW, it would make sense that they would be willing to give the most futures out of the other contenders.

Enough futures to make Armstrong not just self-rent? Remains to be seen.

I suspect if the Bruins sign Vesey on August 15th, they would be willing to up their offer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well, "the proper amount" of futures is certainly the sticking point. But, given that check list, especially the need to make the playoffs NOW, it would make sense that they would be willing to give the most futures out of the other contenders.

Enough futures to make Armstrong not just self-rent? Remains to be seen.

I suspect if the Bruins sign Vesey on August 15th, they would be willing to up their offer.

Vesey could be the equivalent of Brassard's bonus on holding up a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad