Speculation: Shattenkirk

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
St. Louis should just hold onto him for a big run knowing they will lose him as a UFA.

I wouldn't want the Rangers to make the mistake of trading the farm for another guy they could've signed in free agency, like we did with MSL (even though it did result in a run to the Cup finals and the player we traded was leaving anyway - it was the 1st round pick that hurt though). So in this instance, even giving up someone like Kreider would be dumb.

For teams not looking for rentals, trading for Shattenkirk is a huge mistake. The two teams I could see him signing with right now, NYR and BOS, should not be giving up anything of significant value right now. Shattenkirk doesn't transform BOS into a contender overnight, and giving up picks and prospects for him while in rebuild mode would be stupid. Wait and see if he'll sign.

And while NYR could contend with him on the roster, that fact would be negated by whatever it would take to get him (unless it was a straight up swap for Nash). Meaning, STL would have to accept a trade involving only prospects, and NYR doesn't have the non-roster pieces to make that happen with the exception of Buchnevich who is untouchable. Like BOS, NYR should wait and see if he'll sign.

Unless somebody massively over pays, I don't see why hurting their chances at making a serious Cup run in exchange for some future pieces and an inferior roster player makes any sense for STL. Basically they are in the same position NYR was with Yandle last season, except unlike NYR, STL looks to be a serious contender whereas NYR's season had been going off the deep end since the winter.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Schmaltz does not play the same game as Gudas. I would put Gudas as a better, more physical version of Polak. We don't need a replacement for Shatty and Gudas would be a part of a package return.

I am fine with keeping Shatty but moving him for a package that includes Gudas free's up Parayko to play on the 2nd line and give us a 3rd pairing D who can has some offensive potential but is solid defensively and is a sonofa***** to play against. If we want defence better than Bortuzzo who is equally difficult to play against, Gudas is exactly the type of player we should be focusing on.

a 1st and a top prospect should be a part of that package for an extended Shatty.
I'm aware of Gudas' style of game.

That doesn't make trading Shattenkirk for him a good idea.

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
The longer the situation drags on, the more likely Boston seems as the likely destination. Something along the lines of Shattenkirk (extended for 7 x $6.5M) + Jaskin/Rattie for Spooner + Colin Miller + Senyshyn when/if the Bs sign Vesey probably makes sense for both sides from a needs and cap perspective. I suspect both fan bases might be a little disappointed, but it feels like an "Army deal" from a Blues fan's perspective and, from what I've read from Bruins posters, sounds like a deal that Sweeney would make as well.

Bruins only have 6.7 million in cap space.
Marchand, Pastrnak, and Spooner contracts come up next season.
+ Vesey

Maybe if they got rid of Adam McQuaid.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
What type of assets is St.Louis looking for?

The Blues needs are a #1 center (which Shatty won't bring), and a top-6 to top-9 RW. The Blues have something like 7 LWs and 2 RWs right now. They could possibly also use someone to play RD on the 3rd pairing to replace Shatty and/or serve as the #7 guy and/or platoon with Bortuzzo.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
What type of assets is St.Louis looking for?

I don't know about Doug Armstrong, but I'd want:

Shatts & Jaskin to NYR for Kreider & Tambellini
Shatts & Lehtera to NYR for Stepan & Hayes
Shatts, Barbashev & 1st to TBL for Drouin & Filppula
Shatty & Berglund to CBJ for Hartnell, Jenner & 1st
Shatty & Sobotka to ARZ for Murphy & Domi

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
The Blues needs are a #1 center (which Shatty won't bring), and a top-6 to top-9 RW. The Blues have something like 7 LWs and 2 RWs right now. They could possibly also use someone to play RD on the 3rd pairing to replace Shatty and/or serve as the #7 guy and/or platoon with Bortuzzo.

Just because we are deep in a particular position doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't upgrade where we can.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Just because we are deep in a particular position doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't upgrade where we can.

True, but it does mean that it would be foolish to upgrade an area of strength instead of focusing on our weaknesses. Especially considering the list of LWers clearly better than Schwartz and Steen is very small.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

You are going to be disappointed.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
True, but it does mean that it would be foolish to upgrade an area of strength instead of focusing on our weaknesses. Especially considering the list of LWers clearly better than Schwartz and Steen is very small.
You realize that Hitch can, and has, played both of those guys at every forward position, right? Every forward on the Blues' roster has been all over the lineup, with the exception of Tarasenko and Reaves.

I'm not arguing that this is ideal. I'm only suggesting, the club may see more value in playing either or both of those players in the middle or on the right, if we have a chance to improve the roster with bigger, faster, or more talented players.

Also, you're focused on the top six, but if the Blues have the talent to do it, they will roll all their lines on even strength. Sucks for their fantasy value, but it's worked for them. In terms of even strength ice, there won't be much of a difference between our first and third lines.

Last edited:

tjung0831

Sep 17, 2008
St. Charles Missouri

Perhaps Murphy and Tie Domi but you can forget about Max.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Steen and Schwartz are not effective on their off-wing, but there are indications that Steen will play center.

Perron played on the left here, but has played on the right after he left St. Louis.

Berglund prefers the left, but played on the right at times last season.

Jaskin has played both in his career.

Fabbri has played both wings as well.

Of the top 9 wingers, the only one that has an actual preference to play on the right is Tarasenko. All of the others first preference is the left, where Fabbri can play both equally IMO.

Since Steen and Schwartz are both more effective on the left, it doesn't really make sense to target a LW.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014

Quite possibly. Doug Armstrong has acclimated us to the experience. Hopers who can't handle disappointment don't last long, i think.
All the same, as I specified in my response, that is the sort of deal I'm hoping for.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Wishful thinking my man.

The only ones in reach are the bolded. And that TBL one is only if Shattenkirk will 100% extend.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Steen and Schwartz are not effective on their off-wing, but there are indications that Steen will play center.

Perron played on the left here, but has played on the right after he left St. Louis.

Of the top 9 wingers, the only one that has an actual preference to play on the right is Tarasenko. All of the others first preference is the left, where Fabbri can play both equally IMO.

Since Steen and Schwartz are both more effective on the left, it doesn't really make sense to target a LW.

I agree, but I think it's necessary to put in the caveat that a true top line goal scorer would certainly be of interest even if he was a LW. The example being Taylor Hall.

If we were offered a true offensive catalyst to go next to Tarasenko, we'd shuffle the other guys around and make things work. But it would take a very special kind of LW for us to really consider that IMO.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014

I agree. I just wouldn't let that consideration derail a potential deal for someone like Kreider--especially if we know we can't acquire a better pivot than Steen. But all that remains to be seen.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree, but I think it's necessary to put in the caveat that a true top line goal scorer would certainly be of interest even if he was a LW. The example being Taylor Hall.

If we were offered a true offensive catalyst to go next to Tarasenko, we'd shuffle the other guys around and make things work. But it would take a very special kind of LW for us to really consider that IMO.

Right. We have the flexibility to move Steen to center to add a top 6 LW or the willingness to have a top 6 guy on the 3rd line because our ES minutes are typically balanced, and the top guys play on the special teams.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Absurd.

GrayZack

Jul 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Right. We have the flexibility to move Steen to center to add a top 6 LW or the willingness to have a top 6 guy on the 3rd line because our ES minutes are typically balanced, and the top guys play on the special teams.

I have been wonder about Steen this summer. I know he has a NTC, but we have a car jam in LW and he is a UFA at the end of the year.

Could Steen+Shatty get us a that #1C that we need badly?

Schwartz X Tarasenko
Fabbri Stastny Perron
Berglund Sobotka ???/Rattie
Jaskin Brodziak Reaves

We would have a lot of Cap Space to look for a better second or third line RW.

Seems to me that Steen is that last man standing of the old core. Its it time to just completely move from the past and give the team to Tank/Schwatz/Fabbri?

Edit: I forgot Lehtera.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I have been wonder about Steen this summer. I know he has a NTC, but we have a car jam in LW and he is a UFA at the end of the year.

Could Steen+Shatty get us a that #1C that we need badly?

Schwartz X Tarasenko
Fabbri Stastny Perron
Berglund Sobotka ???/Rattie
Jaskin Brodziak Reaves

We would have a lot of Cap Space to look for a better second or third line RW.

Seems to me that Steen is that last man standing of the old core. Its it time to just completely move from the past and give the team to Tank/Schwatz/Fabbri?

No, and Steen isn't worth trading. We can't afford to lose what he brings to our offense. We don't have many shoot-first players after Tarasenko, and he's one of them.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Do Blues fans have an interest in a guy like Connor Brown? NHL ready top 6 right winger. Isnt extremely flashy but has very great vision and always manages to put up points.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

I think overally 99% of Blues fans will be sad what Shattery might return.

But I'm that pessimistic Blues fan I don't believe Army will trade Shattery. This team has lost so many good players in short period of time, Oshie, Backes, Elliott and Brouwer. Going to season with Shattery will give Army+Hitch some flexibility.

Shattery will walk next off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad