Confirmed with Link: Shattenkirk trade discussion Part II

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blues would probably be better off if Pittsburgh passed Washington for the division lead and then both bowed out prior to the ECF. That would push Washington's 1st into the low 20s. I'd take that over what could be a late 2019 2nd and a bottom four 1st rounder.

Agree, plus I get to root against Shatty and Oshie. (I'm bitter, haha)

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Blues would probably be better off if Pittsburgh passed Washington for the division lead and then both bowed out prior to the ECF. That would push Washington's 1st into the low 20s. I'd take that over what could be a late 2019 2nd and a bottom four 1st rounder.

Agree 100%. Best case for the Blues, Caps lose first round but somehow find a way to extend Shatty.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Well, sort of. I think the second conditional pick is independent altogether from the first conditional pick (i.e. the 2019 2nd). So, let's say the Caps get bounced in the first round, which I think we can all agree would be just hilarious. We don't get that 2nd round pick in 2019. BUT, if they then turn around and decide they want to trade Shatty to a team wanting to sign him (e.g. the Bruins, NYR, NYI, ARI.... whoever), and they get a pick back, then we get that other pick. However, if they trade Shattenkirk for like a prospect or something, we don't get anything. If Shattenkirk walks, we get nothing. But if they get a draft pick back, we get at least a 7th, or if that pick is from the 4th round or earlier, then we get their next available pick from 2 rounds later.

I don't think so. The only way we get the 2019 2nd is the caps advancing to 3rd round.

If Washington trades sh at's rights, we get a pick 2 rounds after what the caps get. So the value of the trade only gets worse in that scenario, but at least we get an additional pick haha.

Edit: I think we are on the same page. My "2019 2nd or nothing" was only in regards to the 2nd round pick. The UFA rights pick isnt even worth discussing IMO.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
shattenkirk -1 5 mins in.

Shattenkirk's moving outside to take the puck carrier left 2 Rangers driving to the net, with only one defender, so The Rangers scored. Not the wrong play by Shattenkirk, but The Blues' way of playing defence on that situation, and NOT the way The Caps defend, so they didn't cover for him, and the goal was scored. A system error that occurs when players come in from other systems, before they can practise much with the new team.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I'm telling you now, the Caps fans are going to HATE his defense.

yep. marginal 5on5 player who pads his stats from the PP numbers. Going to be fun to watch if teams in the East try to exploit him in the playoffs like teams out West did to us with him on the ice.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
yeah they will learn he needs to be sheltered

also needs to be paired with someone who can make a good breakout pass because that is also a weakness for him

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
After having almost 24 hrs to reflect, I'm not as down on this trade as I was when I first heard of it. I have been reading about and watching footage of Sanford. He's not a bad prospect. He's big, plays all three F positions, skates well for his size, and is just about NHL ready. I will agree that DA put himself in a bad situation and ultimately, well, bungled it. In the end, however, a 1st and Sanford is better than keeping Shattenkirk for a playoff run and then letting him walk. DA salvaged what he could of a bad situation that he created himself.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

Sportsnet discussed the Shatty trade.

Nick Kypreos is a doofus. First of all he uses a tired, lame ass appeal to authority by saying "Listen..." far too often. He said it FIVE times. Strickland has the same annoying habit, but uses the word "Look..." to make an appeal to his self-perceived authority.

Secondly, he is simply wrong about Shattenkirk being a "top-end defenseman". I really enjoyed having Kirk on the team and he is very talented, but he is not a "top-end defenseman".

The Blues are not that much worse without Shattenkirk. The Blues making the playoffs has very little, if anything at all, with Shattenkirk.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I get so sick of "what do the players think"? These guys arent ****ing ********. They can see the writing on the wall. I bet a month after Paryako joined the team, Shattenkirk had that sinking feeling his days were done in Stl. Everything pointed to Shattenkirk moving on one way or another.

1. Internal replacment
2. Cap constaints
3. Not enough minutes to go around

Some people act like this is a shock.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
DA's presser leads me to believe that the offer from Boston at the draft was most likely: #29 and Spooner.

I for one prefer what we ended up getting to that package. What's everyone elses opinion on this?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
DA's presser leads me to believe that the offer from Boston at the draft was most likely: #29 and Spooner.

I for one prefer what we ended up getting to that package. What's everyone elses opinion on this?
Draft positions are roughly the same, and the difference in the availability of talent, (at that position), in this years draft and last aren't very different. So it comes down whether you would like Spooner or Sanford. Spooner is more of a proven commodity, but he's soft. I'd prefer to take a flyer on Sanford.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I think you can make the argument either way.

Knowing what I know now, I'm indifferent. I don't feel we missed out on that package and I'm not excited about what we got. How does that 2019 2nd not turn into a 1st..... :(

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
How does that 2019 2nd not turn into a 1st..... :(

I thought about this after the Hanson condition, but then i realized how much more likely it is for a top team to advance 2 rounds as opposed to winning the actual cup.

I think our condition is about 10x more likely to happen,which is why im fine with it.

So we have a chance to go from: Nothing --> 2nd (If Caps advance 2 rounds)

Van has a chance to go from: 4th --> 1st (But Sharks have to win the whole damn thing)

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Draft positions are roughly the same, and the difference in the availability of talent, (at that position), in this years draft and last aren't very different. So it comes down whether you would like Spooner or Sanford. Spooner is more of a proven commodity, but he's soft. I'd prefer to take a flyer on Sanford.
Are we sure about that?

The #29 overall last year became Trent Frederick (with Sam Steel going right after). No guarantee the Blues take either one, obviously, but I think most people would have happily taken either prospect for Shattenkirk straight up over what we actually received in return. If we get someone of that quality in the upcoming draft with the Washington pick, I'll jump for joy.

I think there's a pretty good argument to be made that Spooner was worth more than Sanford at the draft since he was coming off a 49 point season at the time, but to each their own. I didn't think Spooner was a particularly good fit here under Hitchcock. Might be a slightly better fit under Yeo, but I'm still not overly high on him (not that I'm overly high on Sanford, either).

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Are we sure about that?

The #29 overall last year became Trent Frederick (with Sam Steel going right after). No guarantee the Blues take either one, obviously, but I think most people would have happily taken either prospect for Shattenkirk straight up over what we actually received in return. If we get someone of that quality in the upcoming draft with the Washington pick, I'll jump for joy.

I think there's a pretty good argument to be made that Spooner was worth more than Sanford at the draft since he was coming off a 49 point season at the time, but to each their own. I didn't think Spooner was a particularly good fit here under Hitchcock. Might be a slightly better fit under Yeo, but I'm still not overly high on him (not that I'm overly high on Sanford, either).

I dont think we can make that argumwnt either because from what I've read Trent Frederick wasn't viewed in high regards till this season. The 20-31 pick could turn into a much more valuable pick too. Doubtful but we also landed Fabbri and Barbashev late too. I wouldn't try to bank on that pick becoming pivotal in this trade though. For me its simply Armstrong basically admtted this team doesn't have it and would rather get futures instead of nothing.

It sounds like they went into these negotiations wanting Sanford. So I guess its simply a wait and see.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
There will be excitement for the Blues fans at the draft. At this point, I wouldn't mind missing the playoffs if it meant a significantly higher pick.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
There will be excitement for the Blues fans at the draft. At this point, I wouldn't mind missing the playoffs if it meant a significantly higher pick.

Need to get the highest % in the lottery. Without some high end talent injected through the draft or trade....

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

Where do you get Spooner from out of Armstrong's comments? He said that he was offered a 1st rounder that was later than theirs, but that's the extent to what he said was offered. He then said the market was worse at the draft last year than a couple of days ago. To me, it seems like only #29 was offered.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The St.Louis Post-Dispatch reported today that the Blues were prepared to offer Shattenkirk an eight-year deal, but he wasn't interested in playing behind Pietrangelo and Parayko.

If that is true, then Shattenkirk didn't leave the Blues with many options. He wouldn't re-up with us, and he wouldn't sign with the teams that Armstrong pitched deals with, so what we had to offer was a rental.

We got the usual return for a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad