Confirmed with Link: Shattenkirk trade discussion Part II

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Ship would be ok, but he's already 30. I still don't fully believe Tkachyov can come in and be a top 6 center. Rather have Jumbo Joe and his hobo beard for a year or two.

I don't believe that Jumbo would never ever dress Blue note jersey. Maybe our russian friends knows where Shipachyov and Tkachyov would fit and are they capable of top 6 center role?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't believe that Jumbo would never ever dress Blue note jersey. Maybe our russian friends knows where Shipachyov and Tkachyov would fit and are they capable of top 6 center role?

It would be surprising if Shipachyov wasn't a top-6 centre. He has the size, skating and skill.

Tkachyov is absolutely an NHL player, but it is more difficult to know if what will be at centre. He has been one of the best in the KHL at face offs this season, he is a good skater and plays a very North American style game. He is a good PK'er, works hard and is happy to go do the dirty work in front of the net and along the boards. He doesn't have close to the same skill level as Shipachyov.

I think this is his first full season at centre, and last season he certainly looked a lot stronger coming in off LW in offensive situations. This season he has progressed, and looks comfortable in offensive positions at centre and on the right as well. His offensive production should be taken with a grain of salt considering he plays on a defensive team; he was second on the team in points in the regular season (32 in 58) and is now PPG in the playoffs as they go into the Conference Finals.

Worst case with Tkachyov is that we'd be getting a 6 year younger version of Sobotka on an ELC. But, he obviously has more room to grow. If we signed him, I'd have him on the third line with Berglund and Perron, splitting time between C and LW with Berglund if necessary.

Also, Sobotka's season has one more period and is then finished in the KHL.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Ship is most definitely a top 6 center. I just cant see Tkach coming over and putting up the points to be a top 6. Especially seeing how Lehtera has put up more points per season in the KHL than Tkachyov.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Ouch

That said, Brooks Orpik and Kevin Shattenkirk have now been on the ice for four five-on-five goals in the series. They were on for both of the Maple Leafs’ second-period goals, the first from Nazem Kadri and the second from Nylander.

Orpik and Shattenkirk have tried to assert themselves physically throughout the series. But the Maple Leafs speed has been a lot for them to handle at times, which again evident in Game 3.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm sure people will find a way to blame Shattenkirk entirely for game tying goal last night, even though there were four Caps players below the goal line, including two forwards. At least one of them should have been covering Nylander.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm sure people will find a way to blame Shattenkirk entirely for game tying goal last night, even though there were four Caps players below the goal line, including two forwards. At least one of them should have been covering Nylander.

That was such a weird play. I don't think Shattenkirk should have gone behind the net to double team the Leafs player but it looked like all the Caps forwards were out of position as well. Just a complete breakdown from everyone.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
That was such a weird play. I don't think Shattenkirk should have gone behind the net to double team the Leafs player but it looked like all the Caps forwards were out of position as well. Just a complete breakdown from everyone.

Exactly. I would prefer in that situation he stay up above the goal line, but it's not like he didn't have support. He saw an opportunity to jump in and help Orpik win a battle. That's an aggressive move, but not uncommon when you have forwards collapsing down low to help. I'd argue whatever forward lost Nylander is most responsible for that goal

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Generally when you have numbers, it's fine for the first guy to play the body and the second guy to retrieve the puck. Shattenkirk was the second guy, so I don't really have a problem with him going behind the net as well with the support he had. Could be his coach has a specific tenet that violated. I don't know.

The forwards both went below the line as well instead of covering the front. That's when things really went wrong. You wouldn't see that sort of defensive breakdown from the current Blues team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What would you guys prefer, the Caps make it to the 3rd round and fulfill the condition for the additional pick or lose in the 1st round to give us the highest possible 1st round this year?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
What would you guys prefer, the Caps make it to the 3rd round and fulfill the condition for the additional pick or lose in the 1st round to give us the highest possible 1st round this year?
Since the Caps won the President's Trophy (and obviously their division as well), their 1st is limited to a very narrow window of possibilities (27th, 29th, 30th, 31st).

I'd probably rather have the 29th OA + a late 2nd than the 27th OA, personally. After all, it only cost the Blues the 87th OA (late 3rd) to move up from 28th to 26th this past draft.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
When it comes to draft picks, the more the merrier. Having that extra 2nd would give some more flexibility in trades if we wanted to move up, or bring someone in the off season, obviously it gives us another opportunity to draft a prospect for our future if we hold onto it. Also having a late 2nd round pick would be nice since we don't have our 3rd this year

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Since the Caps won the President's Trophy (and obviously their division as well), their 1st is limited to a very narrow window of possibilities (27th, 29th, 30th, 31st).

I'd probably rather have the 29th OA + a late 2nd than the 27th OA, personally. After all, it only cost the Blues the 87th OA (late 3rd) to move up from 28th to 26th this past draft.

Yes, that's true.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Best case scenario is the Caps lose in the first round but re-sign Shatty.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012

I could be wrong, but wouldn't they end up with the 23rd overall pick if they indeed do lose in the first round?

14 (teams miss the playoffs)
+1 (vegas)
+8 (best record of the 8 teams losing in the 1st)
=23

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
I could be wrong, but wouldn't they end up with the 23rd overall pick if they indeed do lose in the first round?

14 (teams miss the playoffs)
+1 (vegas)
+8 (best record of the 8 teams losing in the 1st)
=23

You're forgetting about "The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)".

No one who loses in the first two rounds can drop behind them.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
You're forgetting about "The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)".

No one who loses in the first two rounds can drop behind them.

Oh wow, didnt know about that stipulation. Thanks for the clarification.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm rooting for them to win a couple rounds because I doubt that they will re-sign Shatty (especially if they get bounced in round 1 or 2). The difference between the 27th overall pick (lowest possible even if they lose to Toronto) and the 31st (highest possible) seems pretty negligible in a draft that everyone says is basically a toss up after the first few players.

One thing worth considering, the conditional 2nd is for the 2019 draft. I'm not expecting the Caps to be a dumpster fire by then, but there are no guarantees that this is still a top 5 NHL team in 2 years. They have a lot of contracts coming off the books in the next year and only 6 players on that roster are under contract for the 2018/19 season. Their prospect pool is decent (but nothing amazing) and they don't have a pick in the top 3 rounds of this draft. Again, I'm not saying they will plummet, but it is very difficult to consistently be a top 5 team in the NHL. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they need to retool in 2018/19 and wind up finishing around the middle of the pack.

It's a long way away, but I wouldn't pencil in that 2nd as a late rounder. It could very easily be in the middle (or even early-middle) of the 2nd round.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
U guys blow me away with your freaking draft knowledge. I love it! A bunch a lawyers and engineers. But, at least I get more knowledgeable about things that even Don Cherry knows. :help:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
U guys blow me away with your freaking draft knowledge. I love it! A bunch a lawyers and engineers. But, at least I get more knowledgeable about things that even Don Cherry knows. :help:

I'm just here in case anyone needs to know about lung disease. Hey maybe someone will have an interesting VO2 Max test at the draft testing?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Anyone see the thread about Shatty in the main thread? Many of the Caps fans aren't very impressed with his defensive ability. They talk like they don't look for him to be resigned there.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Anyone see the thread about Shatty in the main thread? Many of the Caps fans aren't very impressed with his defensive ability. They talk like they don't look for him to be resigned there.

The talk on the Caps board about re-signing him largely stopped about 3 weeks ago.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

not surprised. guy is a awful defender. he can putup all the PP points he wants, still wont change that fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad