Confirmed with Link: Shattenkirk trade discussion Part II

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He said they were going to lose Copley for nothing so they moved him to get something. That's fine and all...but why get a career minor leaguer instead of a pick? Wonder if Copley made it clear he wouldn't re-sign with the log jam.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

again, another good move. you can bash the oshie trade all you want and that is more than fair, but getting something for players who are going to walk and bring back nothing is SMART.

I am THRILLED Shattenkirk is gone and I look forward to the Pens bouncing the Caps again and a Blues playoff push!

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL

again, another good move. you can bash the oshie trade all you want and that is more than fair, but getting something for players who are going to walk and bring back nothing is SMART.

I am THRILLED Shattenkirk is gone and I look forward to the Pens bouncing the Caps again and a Blues playoff push!

so we dont get our 2nd? im hearing 2019 is a deep deep draft! :sarcasm:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He said they were going to lose Copley for nothing so they moved him to get something. That's fine and all...but why get a career minor leaguer instead of a pick? Wonder if Copley made it clear he wouldn't re-sign with the log jam.

Because he carried no actual value and Chicago needs players too.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
so we dont get our 2nd? im hearing 2019 is a deep deep draft! :sarcasm:

I am hoping the Pens will finish 4th and get the luxury of playing in the Atlantic bracket. Then they can spank the Caps in the 3rd round. The best of both worlds.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
We've discussed ad nauseum how Armstrong was backing himself into a corner where he would have very little negotiating leverage, and this is the result.

Sanford becoming a top 6 center seems like a real long-shot to me, but I'm not going to quibble with those who think it's possible. Blues got their coveted size and perhaps another potential option for a #3 center down the road. At the very least he seems like a reasonable bet to contribute somewhere in the bottom 6. He's underwhelming to me given how late the 1st projects to be, the lack of a guaranteed additional pick, and the salary retention. Not throw things and rant underwhelming, though, given the circumstances...just disappointing, so pretty much status quo for me when it comes to things Blues related.

The Copley thing is actually pretty hilarious to me, given all the discussion about how he fit into the Oshie trade and this organization. Outside of a pick that we used to move up 2 slots (that we may or may not have been able to replace with another asset of comparable value to complete the same move, and that we may or may not have even actually needed to move up to get our guy), the only tangible organizational value the Blues received from the Oshie trade was 1 year of Brouwer.

Hard for me to find much optimism in the Blues current situation, or in how they're positioned moving forward. My only solace comes from knowing this is the darkest timeline, and things are much better elsewhere.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

That would be the only excuse. Copley was targeted, and is now gone for essentially nothing. Im not upset he is gone but this is a continuation of the wildly erratic vision Armstrong has.

Just come out and say we dont get top value for our players.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Uh guys Brad Malone is a UFA too. It's not a very good argument to say "oh well we were going to lose him for nothing, so I had to trade him!" and then go out and get a guy who is also going to walk for nothing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Uh guys Brad Malone is a UFA too. It's not a very good argument to say "oh well we were going to lose him for nothing, so I had to trade him!" and then go out and get a guy who is also going to walk for nothing.

Maybe thats the conditional 2nd round pick lol.....

Shattenkirk was just 1st+Sanford

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014

opens up a slot for the 2 other goalies

im not saying its the greatest trade in the world but who cares at this point if hes gonna walk in July anyways.

like i said, bashing the oshie trade is fair game. i personally think it had to be done as oshie was a clubhouse cancer and it paid off with brouwer beating the hawks for us.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Did they think he was going to develop into an NHL back-up by this point? His UFA status pending was known prior to the Oshie trade. Did he turn down a contract (nearly impossible to believe for a guy trying to make it into the NHL)?

I feel like monkeys are driving the truck.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Army said that teams dictated Shatty's value to him, which is about a damning indictment of Army as I can think of.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Army said that teams dictated Shatty's value to him, which is about a damning indictment of Army as I can think of.

It is and it isn't. Ultimately its his job to get more but at the same time, if you only have 1 party interested...you can scream to the roof about how much you want. If no one will pay it, then its not worth that.

Washington could have had a 2nd trade target if Shattenkirk cost too much.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Good ol Army.

"Other teams told us what he was worth"
"Were done, but ill listen to calls"

Does he ACTIVELY do anything?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
opens up a slot for the 2 other goalies

im not saying its the greatest trade in the world but who cares at this point if hes gonna walk in July anyways.

like i said, bashing the oshie trade is fair game. i personally think it had to be done as oshie was a clubhouse cancer and it paid off with brouwer beating the hawks for us.

The something we got for Copley isn't going to be her next year. Super asset management I tell you. :rolleyes:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Eh, its disappointing, but its the truth. What more could he do but hold out for good value. He's been ridiculed for having too high of expectations at the draft, and prior to now. Yet we have heard of multiple great deals (Hall, Drouin) that prove he was right to do so.

I really don't see what more he could have done to extract more value given the circumstances.

But its the circumstances that he is responsible for. He gave Shatty that shorter deal, leading to UFA at this time. I'm sure the original plan was to re-sign him now, but Parayko changed that. Its a nice problem to have, but it sucks that he didn't get Taylor Hall in exchange. Or Drouin.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The real question is does this team have enough going into next season to make a cup run or does Armstrong just take next year as a rebuilding year and target 2019 as the new core's window?

If the Blues miss the playoffs, I could see a bunch of selling off during the offseason and go into rebuild mode. The West is going to be pretty competitive next year and it just feels right now that the Blues are falling behind due to their success from the last 5 years resulting in low draft choices.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The real question is does this team have enough going into next season to make a cup run or does Armstrong just take next year as a rebuilding year and target 2019 as the new core's window?

If the Blues miss the playoffs, I could see a bunch of selling off during the offseason and go into rebuild mode. The West is going to be pretty competitive next year and it just feels right now that the Blues are falling behind due to their success from the last 5 years resulting in low draft choices.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Blues are done for 10 more years at least. The team that made it to the WCF less than a year ago is completely dismantled. The Blues are starting over.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014

they can retool in the offseason IMO but it depends on if they can get rid of Lehtera somehow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad