Confirmed with Link: Shattenkirk trade discussion Part II

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Anyone else have a feeling that within the next two years we send Pietrangelo to Washington so maybe Armstrong can get a job in their front office after he gets canned by the Blues for trading 50% of our top players to Washington for fairly useless returns?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Anyone else have a feeling that within the next two years we send Pietrangelo to Washington so maybe Armstrong can get a job in their front office after he gets canned by the Blues for trading 50% of our top players to Washington for fairly useless returns?

Calling it now. Petro and Sanford for Brooks Orpik and a conditional pick based on Armstrong's skill at 3 card monte...could be a 2nd, could be a 7th. Find your card and get your pick!

con-artist-4.jpg

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I posted this in the thread about Armstrong, but feel it is relevant here too:

Just watched the full press conference (it's posted on the Blues facebook page in case you missed it).

Re:trading Copley,

Armstrong basically said he was an UFA at the end of the season and wasn't in the long term plans. I still think it was a stupid move and that Copley is a better goalie prospect than Binnington, but it's not the end of the world. He said Husso was the long term prospect that organization was focusing on and that Binnington would be fine in a tandem with him. He also mentioned how carrying 3 goalies is not ideal.

Again, I still think trading Copley for Malone was a really stupid move. If nothing else, Copley would have been great for the wolves to have for a playoff push even if we ended up losing him as an UFA! It's not like Malone has much value...the interesting part to me was how Armstrong talked about Copley being an UFA. I am guessing here, so take it with a grain of salt, but he almost sounded like he was worried about losing all the assets from the Oshie trade for nothing (I know the 3rd was used in drafting Thompson, but still...).

I want to add that if Armstrong is going to argue (like he did during the press conference) that we did not lose Backes/Brouwer for nothing because of the playoff run and particularly the experience for our younger players then how does that same exact argument not hold for keeping Copley for the AHL playoffs? Is Brad Malone really more valuable than Copley for the wolves' playoff push and the presumed positive experience it would give our younger prospects?

Maybe Armstrong wants that experience to go to Husso, but if that's the case he sure didn't make it clear in his statements during the press conference.

The way he talked about losing Backes/Brouwer to UFA, it really seemed to me that he was scared of losing more players for nothing and was unwilling to have it happen again. Maybe that's a positive thing in Shattenkirk's case, time will tell. However I really don't understand why it would be so important with Copley except that he was part of the Oshie deal...especially when the return was Brad ****ing Malone.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
And I resisted the urge to answer the title to the article, "How Zach Sanford will succeed this season for the Capitals" with, "by landing Shattenkirk".

I almost resisted

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
This may have already been posted already, but here's a link to some analysis on Sanford after he made the Caps roster out of preseason:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...rd-will-succeed-this-season-for-the-capitals/

I hope Sanford has a good career with the Blues but it is not going to be easy for the guy. He is always going to have that label as the guy we traded Shattenkirk for, a fact that has left most Blues fans upset. Remember how badly Blues fans treated Brewer whose only real sin was being the guy we got back for Pronger. This is going to be something that gets hung around Sanfords neck for a long time. Every mistake he makes is going to get over scrutinized extra harshly as unfair as that is.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I've shaken hands with a man who was in a picture with Ovechkin.

My life is complete.

Totally offtopic: my dad shook hands with a woman born in slavery in the USA. That always kind of struck me.

As for the trade: I wish we could be given more insight into Armstrong's plan for this team. Because I don't see it. The cupboard is a lot more bare than it used to be. Seems like an eon ago when the Blues had 3 1st rounders and stockpiling several exciting young players. There are a few now, but not nearly the prospect collection we enjoyed when they were ranked 1st on HF. I am skeptical that this retool is going to take the Blues higher than the last rebuild did.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Totally offtopic: my dad shook hands with a woman born in slavery in the USA. That always kind of struck me.

As for the trade: I wish we could be given more insight into Armstrong's plan for this team. Because I don't see it. The cupboard is a lot more bare than it used to be. Seems like an eon ago when the Blues had 3 1st rounders and stockpiling several exciting young players. There are a few now, but not nearly the prospect collection we enjoyed when they were ranked 1st on HF. I am skeptical that this retool is going to take the Blues higher than the last rebuild did.

From what it looks like, he wants to be the biggest team in the league and never lose a battle along the boards. I just don't understand where he thinks the consistent offense will come from.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I don't necessarily mind him trying to build a big physical team, but damnit if you're going to do that commit to it 100%. That's his biggest problem. He won't pick one philosophy and commit to it.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I hope Sanford has a good career with the Blues but it is not going to be easy for the guy. He is always going to have that label as the guy we traded Shattenkirk for, a fact that has left most Blues fans upset. Remember how badly Blues fans treated Brewer whose only real sin was being the guy we got back for Pronger. This is going to be something that gets hung around Sanfords neck for a long time. Every mistake he makes is going to get over scrutinized extra harshly as unfair as that is.

I mean, there's a pretty big difference between the Pronger vs Shattenkirk trades...but you're 100% right that (fairly or unfairly) Sanford will be labelled as "the guy we traded Shattenkirk for," and that he will likely be scrutinized very closely and have unrealistic expectations placed on him.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011

I fear you are correct. The circumstances surrounding Brewer and Sanford are different enough that I hope the fan base can give the kid fair treatment and an honest assessment. But yeah, probably not. So here's to slim hope that he comes out of the gate and plays awesome :help:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis

Jeez, how old are you?

Oh wait your from Texas, slavery wasn't abolished there until about 20 years ago right?:sarcasm:

I can not emphasize the :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: enough!

As for the trade: I agree with you about Army's lack of vision for the team. I just don't see what his plan is and honestly feel like his is in a bit of panic mode. He is just throwing **** at the wall and hoping something sticks. I hope and believe this is because he is on the hot seat.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I mean, there's a pretty big difference between the Pronger vs Shattenkirk trades...but you're 100% right that (fairly or unfairly) Sanford will be labelled as "the guy we traded Shattenkirk for," and that he will likely be scrutinized very closely and have unrealistic expectations placed on him.

I fear you are correct. The circumstances surrounding Brewer and Sanford are different enough that I hope the fan base can give the kid fair treatment and an honest assessment. But yeah, probably not. So here's to slim hope that he comes out of the gate and plays awesome :help:

Yeah it sucks because everything I have read about him since last night tells me he could become a pretty good middle six player. However waking up this morning and reading the social media's tells me a huge bulk of the fans have already labeled him as trash. I am not happy with the return for Shattenkirk either but I am ready to give the kid a fair shot to become something. I fear others are not going to give him that shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad