Eklund Rumor: Shattenkirk to MTL

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Price is the best goalie in the world, but I'm not trading for him. It's the one position that if they get hurt, the team will fall apart. In today's NHL, you don't need a true elite goalie in the playoffs, just someone to get hot and play consistent. You don't need a Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour, etc.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't see Galchenyuk being moved, but apparently (reading the comments on that Eklund blog) Pacioretty might be an acceptable piece, though I have no idea why. If Shatty is moved to MTL, I think it has to be a bigger deal. Something along the lines of:

:habs
Shattenkirk (extended @ 7x$6.5M)
Berglund

:blues
Pacioretty
Emelin or Markov ($1.75M retained if it is Markov)

Cap wise, the Blues don't really have much wiggle room (around $1M) once the Sobotka contract is added to the roster. This deal would have roughly $8.5M going to the Blues and $8.7M going to the Habs. I think the Blues probably add a 2nd/3rd or a prospect, but if all of the pieces are actually in play I think this is how it has to go down. A LD really isn't a need for the Blues, but MTL is going have to move someone if they bring Shatty in, and it would allow the Blues to improve on LD while subtracting a luxury piece at RD in the process.

That's even worse than the OP...come on people Habs are not trading for another dman and especially not giving up one of their two 30 goal scorers to do it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's even worse than the OP...come on people Habs are not trading for another dman and especially not giving up one of their two 30 goal scorers to do it.

.... And especially not a RHS D-Men.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
You gotta love those "because your GM made some questioning moves in the past, here's an insulting offer for the fans".

I sympathize with Canucks fan.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
So word on the street (Eklund) is that Montreal has been in the mix for Shattenkirk? I'm no MTL fan, but I'm not sure how RHD, or really any D (other than maybe Top LHD) is really a need for MTL, but hey - it's MTL we're talking about here and they just traded Subban for Weber, so what do I know?

The rumor goes that "There is a key piece that Armstrong has wanted out of Montreal that was a non-starter...but now is, I wouldn't say "in play" yet, but for sure being discussed...even it will take a little more from St Louis."

The only thing on MTL that STL would be willing to add for is probably Galchenyuk. What sayeth you, HFMontreal?

Galchenyuk
2nd

Shattenkirk, signed at 6.5M for NEXT season (this season is at 4.25 or something ridiculous)
Ivan Barbashev (drafted 32, and fits the MTL mold better than Galchenyuk)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...ith-a-Shattenkirk-Update--Habs-and-NJ/1/78514

What mold exactly? They have a big pot and keep throwing any random thing in there hoping whatever comes out is even remotely palatable.

What we have here is a former dynasty in desperate search of an identity. And the current head coach is a perfect reflection of a team without an identity. Hell, the offense faltered badly and you're in need of a top-six forward? Just go for Radulov and cross your toes. The rest of our needs will just be addressed with fourth-liners.

Shattenkirk in MTL would not be a good idea. It would just be another random ingredient thrown into the pot. And it would be a terrible idea if we actually give Galchenyuk up to bring him here with absolutely no guarantee of even re-signing him to a reasonable contract.

If the plan is to acquire Shattenkirk to compensate for Markov's eventual departure, it is STILL a bad idea. This off-season has been more than forgettable for the Habs (except for the obvious talk of the town). I don't have high hopes for the coming season.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Nowhere does this "rumor" say Galchenyuk.

If it were true, which it more than likely isnt, it would be more of a player like Gallagher, Plekanec, Beaulieu, or a prospect like Scherbak or MacCarron.

Galchenyuk is going nowhere.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Nowhere does this "rumor" say Galchenyuk.

If it were true, which it more than likely isnt, it would be more of a player like Gallagher, Plekanec, Beaulieu, or a prospect like Scherbak or MacCarron.

Galchenyuk is going nowhere.

Nobody said it did.

On your list, only Gallagher fits.

Jul 6, 2016
Habs DON'T need Shattenkirk, a RHD.

They got Weber, Petry, Patteryn, Redmond, Juulsen, Lernout + young Sergachev can play RHD too... What they lack is a puck moving LHD, like a Cam Fowler.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You gotta love those "because your GM made some questioning moves in the past, here's an insulting offer for the fans".

I sympathize with Canucks fan.

Whats crazy about Vancouver is that its one of the few times where truly insane offers could actually happen. For the most part we just laugh it off but with Benning there is that fear deep inside you telling you that it could materialize.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I can't imagine Shattenkirk landing Krejci, Galychenyuk, Pacioretty, etc.

I imagine it will eventually be a a return of mid-tier assets for him. At the trade deadline it would jump to 1st round pick +.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I can't imagine Shattenkirk landing Krejci, Galychenyuk, Pacioretty, etc.

I imagine it will eventually be a a return of mid-tier assets for him. At the trade deadline it would jump to 1st round pick +.

Whether or not Shattenkirk lands an impact player or a package of lesser assets, the idea that his value jumps at the deadline is absurd. If he had a high cap hit that teams would be more likely to fit at the deadline, that's one thing, but his cap hit right now is very low. Any bubble or playoff-bound team would absolutely pay more for a full season of Shattenkirk than they would at the deadline.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Whether or not Shattenkirk lands an impact player or a package of lesser assets, the idea that his value jumps at the deadline is absurd. If he had a high cap hit that teams would be more likely to fit at the deadline, that's one thing, but his cap hit right now is very low. Any bubble or playoff-bound team would absolutely pay more for a full season of Shattenkirk than they would at the deadline.

It's just common sense that his value decreases as the season goes on. But if a team feels like he is their missing link to push them over the top, the can probably still get good value.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Montreal already has Weber and Petry locked up longterm at the RHD position. Sure Shattenkirk would be an upgrade over Petry but not at the expense of Galchenyuk or Gallagher.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
If there where any type of deal for Shattenkirk Mtl should make Stl take both Desharnais and Yemelin or no deal

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
The Habs could use another piece or two on offence getting rid of one of their top two scorers would set them back to the Stone Age. It would have to be for other pieces.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
This isnt even worth discussing. We don't need RHD, only way is if Petry and small add go the other way, but Shattenkirk has only 1 year left. Not doing that for a 1 year rental.

Thanks Eklund

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
So word on the street (Eklund) is that Montreal has been in the mix for Shattenkirk? I'm no MTL fan, but I'm not sure how RHD, or really any D (other than maybe Top LHD) is really a need for MTL, but hey - it's MTL we're talking about here and they just traded Subban for Weber, so what do I know?

The rumor goes that "There is a key piece that Armstrong has wanted out of Montreal that was a non-starter...but now is, I wouldn't say "in play" yet, but for sure being discussed...even it will take a little more from St Louis."

The only thing on MTL that STL would be willing to add for is probably Galchenyuk. What sayeth you, HFMontreal?

Galchenyuk
2nd

Shattenkirk, signed at 6.5M for NEXT season (this season is at 4.25 or something ridiculous)
Ivan Barbashev (drafted 32, and fits the MTL mold better than Galchenyuk)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...ith-a-Shattenkirk-Update--Habs-and-NJ/1/78514
we do not have cap space even at $4.25. How about DD for Shattenkirk? lol

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Shattenkirk's a nice piece, but we have Weber and Petry as the RHD already. Shattenkirk as the 3rd (not necessarily on the depth chart, but in general) would be pretty expensive and would make the Habs more unbalanced, especially if the cost is Galchenyuk+.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Shattenkirk with 1 year left isn't worth Gallagher, let alone Galchenyuk, let alone Galchenyuk +.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad