Eklund Rumor: Shattenkirk to MTL

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Montreal had some difficulty signing Galchenyuk last year. He wasn't pleased at all with the coach, his ice time, or not playing center. He fired his agent because he didn't like his advice to sign and be patient. He ended up signing a bridge.

With his contract up at the end of this year, is their any scenario Montreal fans see where he could essential force a trade? Or did playing 1C this year curb his frustrations with Therrien? If he does force a trade, is there any package from St. Louis that could land him (preferably with Shattenkirk, but even without)?

Shattenkirk/Steen + Lehtera/Berglund + Rattie + 2nd for Gallchenyuk + cap dump?

If Blues Trade Steen, then we can trade Shattenkirk for Nash or JVR as has been offered.

Yes, still unlikely, but trying to think way outside the box, and its August.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd honestly think if Galchenyuk was available...Blues would be sending Fabbri or another team could easily beat our offer.

There's just no reason to trade him to Stl without a very big add to Shattenkirk

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'd honestly think if Galchenyuk was available...Blues would be sending Fabbri or another team could easily beat our offer.

There's just no reason to trade him to Stl without a very big add to Shattenkirk

Fabbri doesnt get you Galchenyuk either.. if we had the need for a RHD the asking price would be Parayko. Problem is we don't have centers with Galchenyuk's upside and our RHD is already set.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Fabbri doesnt get you Galchenyuk either.. if we had the need for a RHD the asking price would be Parayko. Problem is we don't have centers with Galchenyuk's upside and our RHD is already set.

I was meaning Fabbri in a package. It's the only player the Blues have that have 1c upside. It's purely hypothetical because the Blues will not trade Fabbri.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I was meaning Fabbri in a package. It's the only player the Blues have that have 1c upside. It's purely hypothetical because the Blues will not trade Fabbri.

Especially after the playoffs he just had. No way do the Blues contemplate such a move.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
All the teams that I've seen Kevin Shattenkirk rumored to be traded to this summer.
NY Rangers, NY Islanders, Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Detroit, Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona and now Montreal.

These Shattenkirk rumors are getting ridiculous now.

Boston and New Jersey are probably the 2 teams that should be trying to land Shattenkirk due to the fact that they need the most help on defense out of all the teams listed above.

New Jersey may not have or want to give up assets to get Shattenkirk. Also not sure what St. Louis is looking for in return from New Jersey.

Boston does have the assets but I don't think they'd be willing to part with players such as Krejci or Pastrnak so that seems to be a sticking point for a St. Louis-Boston trade.

As far as a Montreal-St. Louis trade for Shattenkirk goes, I'm not sure if Montreal has the right pieces St.Louis is looking for other then Galchenyuk or Gallagher, and I can't see Montreal trading away their 22 year old projected #1 centre Alex Galchenyuk or their 24 year old #1 RW Brenden Gallagher for Kevin Shattenkirk.

If St.Louis decides to trade Shattenkirk they'd probably want a NHL ready forward a young defensive prospect and may also want a 1st round draft pick depending on what pieces are in the proposed trade for Shattenkirk.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Weber
Petry
Pateryn

The Habs are fine on the right side. There is no need to pay the cost in terms of assets to get Shattenkirk or the salary demands.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
All the teams that I've seen Kevin Shattenkirk rumored to be traded to this summer.
NY Rangers, NY Islanders, Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Detroit, Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona and now Montreal.

These Shattenkirk rumors are getting ridiculous now.

Boston and New Jersey are probably the 2 teams that should be trying to land Shattenkirk due to the fact that they need the most help on defense out of all the teams listed above.

New Jersey may not have or want to give up assets to get Shattenkirk. Also not sure what St. Louis is looking for in return from New Jersey.

Boston does have the assets but I don't think they'd be willing to part with players such as Krejci or Pastrnak so that seems to be a sticking point for a St. Louis-Boston trade.

As far as a Montreal-St. Louis trade for Shattenkirk goes, I'm not sure if Montreal has the right pieces St.Louis is looking for other then Galchenyuk or Gallagher, and I can't see Montreal trading away their 22 year old projected #1 centre Alex Galchenyuk or their 24 year old #1 RW Brenden Gallagher for Kevin Shattenkirk.

If St.Louis decides to trade Shattenkirk they'd probably want a NHL ready forward a young defensive prospect and may also want a 1st round draft pick depending on what pieces are in the proposed trade for Shattenkirk.

Pretty good summary of why some Blues fans are a little worried about potentially losing Shattenkirk for nothing. However, it is highly doubtful the Blues want a D prospect coming back. They need forward prospects. We have two highly touted LHD propsects (Dunn and Walman) both with Top 4 upside, two young NHL ready LHD (Edmundson and Lindbohm), Parayko and Petro holding down the RH side long term, and Schmaltz being a Shattenkirk style RHD ready for duty this year or next. It would take a high-percentage top-pair LHD prospect to make us interested (Provo or Sanheim from Philly as an example).

Here is how I see the situation with all the teams you listed:

NJ - We'd want Zacha, maybe McLeod+. NJ is rebuilding and may not be willing to part with prime prospects. Zacha is being penciled into their lineup this year, maybe next so they'd possibly want a center coming back.

NYR - Doesn't have much Blues fans are interested in. Kreider+ or Nash. Kreider seems to be missing the toolbox to capitalize on his tools, and Nash is risky at that cap hit coming off of a poor season.

Boston - Krejci is too much value but coming off injury with a high cap hit is too scary to want to add much of value. Spooner is too little value and too similar to Lehtera in needing to be sheltered. This is the likely desperation landing spot. Either take Spooner+ because nothing else materializes or wait to see Krejci look healthy once the season starts and then add.

NYI - I'm not sure their interest level with Hamonic staying. They need forwards too, so not sure if they'd move them. But they do have pieces in Strome, Barzal and Nelson that could move the needle but doubt they want to part with the latter two. This isn't a landing spot that I have seen discussed much.

Philly - Something around Schenn could work, but Philly fans are adamant about rolling with their young LHD on the right side, so they don't see a need. I don't really blame them.

Detroit - Seems a good match need-wise. They have excess forwards to the point they will likely lose one via waivers and need D. Their GM, Holland, historically doesn't make big trades though. Heat has kind of died on this spot. Something around Tatar or Nyqvist, maybe a prospect or a pick added could work.

Buffalo - Need LHD, not RHD.

Edmonton - Shatty won't sign there. Agent told them straight out.

Arizona - Doubtful he'd resign there. They also have pretty strong D group for a rebuilding team. And I doubt a rebuilding team wants to move the young assets that are their best trade chips. Would probably want Hanzal+, and that isn't the most thrilling offer.

Montreal - Very little need, most likely Eklund wanting to get those rabid Montreal fanbase clicks. But oh Galchenyuk would be so nice between Tarasenko and Schwartz

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
I like Shattenkirk but he doesn't get you galchenyuk or pacioretty unless you're adding ALOT

If Shattenkirk was signed for a few more seasons at his current salary, Pacioretty would be a totally fair return. St. Louis might add a little bit, but by no means a tremendous amount. They're the same age. They're both very good players, but not without some question marks. I'd rate Pacioretty higher, but RHDs are at a premium around the league right now. LWs are not.

That being said... their contract situations obviously do not match. Nor is there realistically a fit for either team. The Habs don't need Shattenkirk with Weber and Petry already at RD. The Blues don't need Pacioretty with Steen, Schwartz, and Fabbri already at LW.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
"Shattenkirk to every team"

To be fair, how many teams couldn't use a 40+ point PPQB, RH PMD? Not every team needs it enough to pay the price, but I'd say half the league would love Shattenkirk at a fair contract/acquisition cost. So for 10-12 teams to show interest isn't outlandish. Since nobody has landed him yet, the calls were all probably kicking the tires and not liking the ask.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
The rumor goes that "There is a key piece that Armstrong has wanted out of Montreal that was a non-starter...but now is, I wouldn't say "in play" yet, but for sure being discussed...even it will take a little more from St Louis."

The only player I could see fitting that description is Beaulieu if Bergevin thinks Sergachev has a chance to make the team this year.

Stop with the Galchenyuk nonsense. If he wasn't available before why would he be now? Who's gonna replace him?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Pretty good summary of why some Blues fans are a little worried about potentially losing Shattenkirk for nothing. However, it is highly doubtful the Blues want a D prospect coming back. They need forward prospects. We have two highly touted LHD propsects (Dunn and Walman) both with Top 4 upside, two young NHL ready LHD (Edmundson and Lindbohm), Parayko and Petro holding down the RH side long term, and Schmaltz being a Shattenkirk style RHD ready for duty this year or next. It would take a high-percentage top-pair LHD prospect to make us interested (Provo or Sanheim from Philly as an example).

Here is how I see the situation with all the teams you listed:

NJ - We'd want Zacha, maybe McLeod+. NJ is rebuilding and may not be willing to part with prime prospects. Zacha is being penciled into their lineup this year, maybe next so they'd possibly want a center coming back.

NYR - Doesn't have much Blues fans are interested in. Kreider+ or Nash. Kreider seems to be missing the toolbox to capitalize on his tools, and Nash is risky at that cap hit coming off of a poor season.

Boston - Krejci is too much value but coming off injury with a high cap hit is too scary to want to add much of value. Spooner is too little value and too similar to Lehtera in needing to be sheltered. This is the likely desperation landing spot. Either take Spooner+ because nothing else materializes or wait to see Krejci look healthy once the season starts and then add.

NYI - I'm not sure their interest level with Hamonic staying. They need forwards too, so not sure if they'd move them. But they do have pieces in Strome, Barzal and Nelson that could move the needle but doubt they want to part with the latter two. This isn't a landing spot that I have seen discussed much.

Philly - Something around Schenn could work, but Philly fans are adamant about rolling with their young LHD on the right side, so they don't see a need. I don't really blame them.

Detroit - Seems a good match need-wise. They have excess forwards to the point they will likely lose one via waivers and need D. Their GM, Holland, historically doesn't make big trades though. Heat has kind of died on this spot. Something around Tatar or Nyqvist, maybe a prospect or a pick added could work.

Buffalo - Need LHD, not RHD.

Edmonton - Shatty won't sign there. Agent told them straight out.

Arizona - Doubtful he'd resign there. They also have pretty strong D group for a rebuilding team. And I doubt a rebuilding team wants to move the young assets that are their best trade chips. Would probably want Hanzal+, and that isn't the most thrilling offer.

Montreal - Very little need, most likely Eklund wanting to get those rabid Montreal fanbase clicks. But oh Galchenyuk would be so nice between Tarasenko and Schwartz

Yeah....leave Philly out of it.

They just paid Gudas to be the 2nd pairing RHD. Ghost gets the top spot.

As for Schenn, the Flyers only have 5 top 6 forwards. The NEED one....not looking to REMOVE one.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The rumor goes that "There is a key piece that Armstrong has wanted out of Montreal that was a non-starter...but now is, I wouldn't say "in play" yet, but for sure being discussed...even it will take a little more from St Louis."

The only player I could see fitting that description is Beaulieu if Bergevin thinks Sergachev has a chance to make the team this year.

Stop with the Galchenyuk nonsense. If he wasn't available before why would he be now? Who's gonna replace him?

I like how you failed to highlight "that Armstrong has wanted". Blues don't need a LHD as badly as they need help up front. Bouwmeester and Gunnarson are locked up for 3 years, and we have 2 young NHL ready guys fighting for the 3 LHD spot. Beaulieu would be nice for when we move on from Jbo and Gunnar, but its a luxury right now. I doubt it would be a piece Armstrong would actively pursue.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yeah....leave Philly out of it.

They just paid Gudas to be the 2nd pairing RHD. Ghost gets the top spot.

As for Schenn, the Flyers only have 5 top 6 forwards. The NEED one....not looking to REMOVE one.

That was my point. I was pointing oout the difficulty in moving Shattenkirk. None of the rumored situations are an ideal fit. I said Philly was comfortable with a young LHD, ie GhostBear, taking the RD spot. I merely meant Schenn would work from the Blues side, but not Philly, so no trade.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

You even quoted "even if it takes a little more from St. Louis"

In what universe does Beaulieu pull Shattenkirk+?????

If there's an truth to this rumor....your going to hate your GM even more

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Negative...

Stl and Montreal doesn't even make sense.

Well I guess I shouldn't say negative if the +s were good

Yeah, I don't even see us as decent trading partners for anything relatively minor.

There's just nothing to be done between the two teams.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Since Bergevin failed to incite a riot the first time, he tries again:

To Mtl:
Shattenkirk (extended)
Allen
Fabbri

To Stl:
Price
Andrighetto
3rd 2017

(I don't seriously think Price is in the conversation, nor would I actually do this trade. But he would certainly qualify as a non-starter in a trade discussion)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad