Eklund Rumor: Shattenkirk to MTL

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
So word on the street (Eklund) is that Montreal has been in the mix for Shattenkirk? I'm no MTL fan, but I'm not sure how RHD, or really any D (other than maybe Top LHD) is really a need for MTL, but hey - it's MTL we're talking about here and they just traded Subban for Weber, so what do I know?

The rumor goes that "There is a key piece that Armstrong has wanted out of Montreal that was a non-starter...but now is, I wouldn't say "in play" yet, but for sure being discussed...even it will take a little more from St Louis."

The only thing on MTL that STL would be willing to add for is probably Galchenyuk. What sayeth you, HFMontreal?

:blues
Galchenyuk
2nd

:habs
Shattenkirk, signed at 6.5M for NEXT season (this season is at 4.25 or something ridiculous)
Ivan Barbashev (drafted 32, and fits the MTL mold better than Galchenyuk)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...ith-a-Shattenkirk-Update--Habs-and-NJ/1/78514

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
So word on the street (Eklund) is that Montreal has been in the mix for Shattenkirk? I'm no MTL fan, but I'm not sure how RHD, or really any D (other than maybe Top LHD) is really a need for MTL, but hey - it's MTL we're talking about here and they just traded Subban for Weber, so what do I know?

The rumor goes that "There is a key piece that Armstrong has wanted out of Montreal that was a non-starter...but now is, I wouldn't say "in play" yet, but for sure being discussed...even it will take a little more from St Louis."

The only thing on MTL that STL would be willing to add for is probably Galchenyuk. What sayeth you, HFMontreal?

Galchenyuk
2nd

Shattenkirk, signed at 6.5M for NEXT season (this season is at 4.25 or something ridiculous)
Ivan Barbashev (drafted 32, and fits the MTL mold better than Galchenyuk)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...ith-a-Shattenkirk-Update--Habs-and-NJ/1/78514

Ecklund is like a seagull, the second we ignore him and stop feeding him he'll go away.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Hell no to any proposal that involves Galchenyuk....

It doesn't make any sense from a montreal perspective to give up a young, budding potential #1 centre. A guy who broke through for 30 goals last year, for a RHD when the team already has Weber and Petry on the right side. No sense at all. Oh and the guy is entering the final year of his contract? And already told another team (the Oilers) that he wouldn't sign an extension and planned on going to free agency to try his luck.... No... just stop it.

And sorry, Barbashev doesn't fit the montreal mould better than Galchenyuk... a 2nd/3rd line guy for a potential #1... no, just no.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
We can now cross of Montreal as a possible destination.

Ek and his click bait. Notice he never brings up small teams when talking big names.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Shattenkirk would be the most idiotic thing for them to do. Imagine trading from an area of weakness to fill a need that doesn't exist. My word, that would be fun times.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Oh and the guy is entering the final year of his contract? And already told another team (the Oilers) that he wouldn't sign an extension and planned on going to free agency to try his luck.... No... just stop it.

Not saying Galchenyuk is fair value, by this is flat out wrong. At no point has anyone reported that he's said he's going to FA. He just refused to sign long term in Edmonton, which shouldn't be a surprise. Guys don't want to lose constantly.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I will be totally shocked if Shattenkirk agreed to sign long term with Montreal.

I think he either gets traded to Boston or the Rangers and signs long term with either one of those 2 teams. Doubt he would agree to sign with Montreal but that's just my opinion.

Mad Brills*

After subban for weber, galchenyuk for krejci is more appropriate.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Absolutely not from a MTL pov. If the Habs ever trade Galchenyuk a young potential #1C/top 6 forward would have to come back in return. And at that point it would be pretty pointless to do that instead of just keeping Galchenyuk unless the Habs add for someone superior or with an higher upside than Chucky.

I have no problem with acquiring Shattenkirk but Galchenyuk should be completely out of question

And it's Eklund anyway so this is most likely bunk rumor like 95% of the time.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Galchenyuk lol ok.

How about Plekanec and Beaulieu???

And forget it. We don't need Shattenkirk anyway.

pass on.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I read this article, And even Eklund acknowledges that the Rangers, Devils or Bruins would be the more likely spot for Shattenkirk then Montreal.

No he doesn't, he says the Canadiens and Bruins have been the favorites and the Devils have been making a strong push lately.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
No he doesn't, he says the Canadiens and Bruins have been the favorites and the Devils have been making a strong push lately.

Come on fellow Blues fan. It is Eklund - we know better then to believe anything he writes. No reason to get into an argument over what E says. He is making it up as he goes.

So it doesn't matter if is the Rangers/Islanders/Monkeys/Canadiens - lets just let this thread die please.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I don't see Galchenyuk being moved, but apparently (reading the comments on that Eklund blog) Pacioretty might be an acceptable piece, though I have no idea why. If Shatty is moved to MTL, I think it has to be a bigger deal. Something along the lines of:

Shattenkirk (extended @ 7x$6.5M)
Berglund

Pacioretty
Emelin or Markov ($1.75M retained if it is Markov)

Cap wise, the Blues don't really have much wiggle room (around $1M) once the Sobotka contract is added to the roster. This deal would have roughly $8.5M going to the Blues and $8.7M going to the Habs. I think the Blues probably add a 2nd/3rd or a prospect, but if all of the pieces are actually in play I think this is how it has to go down. A LD really isn't a need for the Blues, but MTL is going have to move someone if they bring Shatty in, and it would allow the Blues to improve on LD while subtracting a luxury piece at RD in the process.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Come on fellow Blues fan. It is Eklund - we know better then to believe anything he writes. No reason to get into an argument over what E says. He is making it up as he goes.

So it doesn't matter if is the Rangers/Islanders/Monkeys/Canadiens - lets just let this thread die please.

I agree, the whole rumor is BS and doesn't prove anything, one way or the other.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Yeah right, There hasn't been any linkage of Shattenkirk to Montreal. Eklund doesn't know what he's talking about his sources are pretty lame at best. Most of the talk now is around either the Rangers or Bruins and the Devils might be involved now because of the Larsson to Edmonton deal.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah right, There hasn't been any linkage of Shattenkirk to Montreal. Eklund doesn't know what he's talking about his sources are pretty lame at best. Most of the talk now is around either the Rangers or Bruins and the Devils might be involved now because of the Larsson to Edmonton deal.

I'm not saying Eklund is credible, he's absolutely not, just that your comment was factually wrong. Eklund didn't say what you said he did.

Montreal was linked early on, but haven't really heard much since.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Plekanec as the main piece, with more added, on Mtl's side seems like the only thing that would make a little bit of sense. But even then I think a #2 C is more valuable to Montreal than getting Shattenkirk.

I also don't think St. Louis would really want him unless they really are going all in for a cup run this season.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Makes absolutely no sense for Montreal, this trade would be even less respected than the Subban trade.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm not saying Eklund is credible, he's absolutely not, just that your comment was factually wrong. Eklund didn't say what you said he did.

Montreal was linked early on, but haven't really heard much since.

When was Montreal linked to Shattenkirk early on, It sure wasn't at the draft the only D man linked to Montreal at the draft was Cam Fowler and the same with Buffalo but Bob Murray wanted those 1st round picks for him and neither Tim Murray or Bergiven would part with them. If Montreal was interested in Shattenkirk it was only a slight interest because Montreal was more interested in Fowler. Maybe that was after a deal couldn't be struck with Shattenkirk then i don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00