Eklund Rumor: Shattenkirk to MTL

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Really hope the Blues just hold on to Shattenkirk until teams start getting desperate again. This whole "he's not worth anything because he doesn't have a contract in place" bs will fade away eventually. He remains an elite offensive d-man.

Blues should look elsewhere if Gallagher is the piece offered. We don't need a goalie runner or another RW. We need a center. I doubt Galchenyuk is available and MTL isn't a good trading partner for STL to begin with.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Really hope the Blues just hold on to Shattenkirk until teams start getting desperate again. This whole "he's not worth anything because he doesn't have a contract in place" bs will fade away eventually. He remains an elite offensive d-man.

Blues should look elsewhere if Gallagher is the piece offered. We don't need a goalie runner or another RW. We need a center. I doubt Galchenyuk is available and MTL isn't a good trading partner for STL to begin with.

Don't worry, Gallagher would never be offered for Shattenkirk. MTL's management would trade Galchenyuk before trading Gallagher.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
No team wants to give valuable assets for a D they will lose in free agency. Shattenkirk wants to test FA, and most gm's would like an extension... they don't want to throw valuable players and prospects for a 1 year shot for contention. See Yandle (though they had time to trade him/resign)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
No team wants to give valuable assets for a D they will lose in free agency. Shattenkirk wants to test FA, and most gm's would like an extension... they don't want to throw valuable players and prospects for a 1 year shot for contention. See Yandle (though they had time to trade him/resign)

Why oh why does this crap continually get passed around. Shattenkirk informed the Blues he would be willing to extend with 4 teams iirc, so no...he's not determined to explore FA if he's traded to a team he wants to play for.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Look at the packages that have been thrown around at the last two trade deadlines.

There's not a lot of incentive for the Blues to trade Shattenkirk if they aren't getting something better than that.

I'm guessing by the rumours that have been thrown around that they are holding out to get a comparable player knowing that at worst, they'll be forced to deal him at the deadline for something like a 1st, a good prospect, and maybe more.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Why oh why does this crap continually get passed around. Shattenkirk informed the Blues he would be willing to extend with 4 teams iirc, so no...he's not determined to explore FA if he's traded to a team he wants to play for.

4 teams who probably don't want to give up what it would take to get him, or he's asking for too much $. Theres a reason he's still in STL

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
we really need a top d man to start the season with webs but i really dont want to give up chucky to get shatty especially when we are still lacking top 6 talent as it is.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Tfw this is the first post you read as a habs fan.

Keep him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
i agree. but i could see us over paying a little bit considering the way our gm feels about d men

I still think Shattenkirk+ doesn't cut it unless there is just a big divide between Galchenyuk and management.

I'd happily send a couple prospects, but we don't have any elite ones to send. Best we have would be Barbashev and Rattie.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
what if it was petry for shattenkirk.

st louis gets a good rd with term at a manageable hit, mtl gets out of the petry deal and upgrades at least short term. if mtl can sign him when markov resigns cheap as bottom pairing/pp or leaves or retires top 4 is

sergachev weber
beaulieu shattenkirk

prob for about 20m total. not too shabby

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

st louis gets a good rd with term at a manageable hit, mtl gets out of the petry deal and upgrades at least short term. if mtl can sign him when markov resigns cheap as bottom pairing/pp or leaves or retires top 4 is

sergachev weber
beaulieu shattenkirk

We don't need a RHD, that's why we're trading Shattenkirk. We have Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bortuzzo, Schmaltz down the right side.

It makes absolutely no sense for Montreal and Stl to make a deal based around Shattenkirk

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
We don't need a RHD, that's why we're trading Shattenkirk. We have Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bortuzzo, Schmaltz down the right side.

It makes absolutely no sense for Montreal and Stl to make a deal based around Shattenkirk

Exactly. I don't believe teams make a trade to make another trade. If Montreal are looking at Shattenkirk, it's a deal around Petry; Which could make sense for Montreal as Sergachev prefers RD, but doesn't work for St. Louis because of their depth on that side already.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Exactly. I don't believe teams make a trade to make another trade. If Montreal are looking at Shattenkirk, it's a deal around Petry; Which could make sense for Montreal as Sergachev prefers RD, but doesn't work for St. Louis because of their depth on that side already.

You could always introduce a third team into the equation. Any idea if EDM would be interested in getting Petry back? RNH-Shatty-Petry. :sarcasm:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Makes zero sense from a Habs POV. Just traded for a no. 1 RHD, very happy with their 2nd pairing RHD (Petry), happy with their 3rd pair RHD (Pateryn) and just signed depth at RHD (Redmond).

RHD would literally be the last priority for Montreal.

Is it possible that these Eklund rumours are intended to make little sense so there is more discussion around them? I really think there's some sort of formula in play here.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
You could always introduce a third team into the equation. Any idea if EDM would be interested in getting Petry back? RNH-Shatty-Petry. :sarcasm:

So Edmonton gets a reliable 2nd pairing RHD, STL gets a top 6 C, and Montreal gets an impending UFA RHD?? Makes no sense. They are happy with Petry, he's played well and fits the teams needs perfectly.

Even with a contract I don't personally see Shattenkirk as an upgrade over Petry. I've watched Shattenkirk a bit in STL and really don't see him fitting in well with the team. Petry is a perfect 2nd pairing RHD. Great skater, very solid 2 way d man with size and physicality.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Can we just ban Eklund links or something already? has he ever predicted a trade correctly before? like ever?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

sergachev weber
beaulieu shattenkirk

Petry isn't close to Shattenkirk either. This time Montreal is adding assets.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Petry isn't close to Shattenkirk either. This time Montreal is adding assets.

It's a non-starter anyway. The point of moving Shattenkirk is to upgrade at a different position. Petro and Parayko would be the 1 and 2 RHDs. They have internal options for the 3rd pairing.

The Blues need a C, RW, or LHD.

But likewise, if Petry isn't on the move then there's no point for Montreal to acquire Shattenkirk. Makes zero sense for them to have Petry on the 3rd pairing at 5.5M a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00