Sharks win 3-1

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
i love yakupov

His goal tonight was pretty slick. Because of his early season struggles, I think that I'm the most happy when he scores. I might have been as stressed as him about it. :handclap:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Saw some increased shots from the point tonight and a bit more crashing the net, especially from the RNH line. Hall looked pretty discouraged though.

Didn't like the Gagner line.

It's literally impossible for this roster to defeat the Sharks so I wasn't even upset by the loss.

Watching the team try to handle Thornton & Couture was pretty funny.

Beginning to wonder if our "talented kids" are actually all that great.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Should never have hired him to begin with. They have no choice but to keep him for this season now.

The Oilers need continuity. One could argue they could've kept Kruger but firing yet another coach just puts the blame on someone who probably doesn't deserve it.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'd try Bunz-Abney-Bumagin on a line just to shake things up.

Don't say it couldn't happen with all the "interesting" callups and demotions the Oilers have been doing.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So Klefbom was brought up to sit in the press box? Should we believe that Eakins' is THAT much better of a coach? This year the Barrons' team has been stripped down a ton. Way too many roster movements back and forth due to failure and injury. Can't blame the coach in OKC this year. When we're healthy they'll be running everyone over again.

As for the game that went on while I was at work, YAKUPOV! YEAHHH!!!!! 14 minutes of play and he outscored Eberle and Hall! W00T W00T!

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Why is it a competition between Hall and Eberle and Yakupov. shouldn't it be woot the top line got some offensive pressure and Yak looks to be making plays now. #oilerspositive

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
looked to me that mclellen called the dogs off after they went up 3-0. didn't want to embarrass another oilers coach at home. caught a break with them dressing brown over havlat too.

MISC*

Canucks fan coming in 10000% honesty. No hidden jabs.

What's happening to the Oilers absolutely disgust me. Makes me ill. I won't lie, I was really on the 'kick the Oilers while they're down' train for the past few years, but this year has made me feel so bad for the fans and the kids.

You guys do not deserve this. The team is such a ****ing mess. The kids are literally get destroyed, alienated and demoralized every day. In the media. By other teams. By the fans. It's really looking bad.

I wish the team would get just one thing right. Ship out Smyth and Hemsky and this years pick. Bring in a Manny Malhotra. A Ray Whitney. Trade the 1st rounder for a Zetterberg or a StLouis. Make a ridiculous contract offer for Thornton or Selanne.

The kids are just that; kids. They should never be answering media questions. They should not be getting attacked my Rishaug and co. The vets should be taking that for them.

Do any of you think Pavelski, Coture or Hertl would be nearly as good without Marleau and Jumbo Joe?

Do you think Vlasic and Demers would be a top unit wothout playing under Boyle? Hamilton without Chara? The Sedins without Naslund, Bert, Jovo, Ohlund and Salo?

Chris Tanev is not a superstar. Not by any means. I personally think he will end up a good #3, bur he would never had developed without Hammuis, Salo, Edler and Bieksa.

The kids in Edmonton are being forced to be vets. It's insane.

They aren't developed. That still takes years. get some good vets to groom them. Teach them how to succeed. How to face adversity. how to lose. How to win.

Oilers should be targeting Malhota next year. I honestly hope they land him. Something! Anybody!

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I don't think the fans were booing tonight's loss specifically. They were booing a season full of losses and the group of people who assembled this crappy team.

Was at the game. I can assure you this was the case. Just fans feeling the weight of this season more and more.

Some thoughts:

-Yak was by far the best forward, most energy, and most will tonight. Was rewarded with a goal.

-Hemsky was okay to good, he really tried to play a simple game today and got more than a few shots on net.

-Gagner... I know he's been hurt... I know it messed with his nutrition and fitness... and I really don't care. If he's not ready, don't play him. He looks lost, idiotic and weak, killing almost every play.

-Nuge was exposed tonight in terms of his weakness. Lining up against any Couture most of the night, it was very clear he was not going to win many battles tonight.

-Eberle I thought had a decent game. Was the most effective player on that line, generated the most chances.

-Hall had a whole lot of wind up tonight and it lead to whole lot of nothing. In fact, they might as well be considered turnovers. The line still had some chances, nothing really significant though.

-Gordon played well. Did what was expected really.

-Perron I thought looked rather lazy today. Some odd shifts where he dialed up some of the compete we've seen, but really wasn't a factor.

-Smyth remarkably had some great chances that he unbelievably couldn't capitalize on. His lack of speed killed him today on offense, but he had a good positional game.

-4th line played all of two minutes. No effect was observed.

Ultimately, the losing is just one big **** show. Even a half decent effort like this isn't going to erase this hole we've dug ourselves into. Start winning some games. Walk the ******* walk.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
As apathetic as I am turning there's still something in me that will always keep me an oilers fan. No matter what. Literally I will cheer for this stupid team till the day I die... Drunk oiler confession here but growing up the oilers is all my dad my brother and I have in common. I miss the days where every game was anticipated and meant something, for too long there's been nothing to cheer about. It honestly weighs heavy on me, a stupid hockey team. Even amongst my friends, this team is just so important. I mean it's not the end of the world but on a subtle level it kills me aha .... Ugh

However such is the life of an oiler fan. There's honor in the pain. I will never be a bandwagon fan. Oilers for life. #confessions of an oiler fan

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
While Perron, Eberle, Hopkins, and Gagner were losing draws left and right all game long--
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story there bro. Gagner was 57% tonight against a team full of tough centers. In the game before that he was 54% against the Stars including a huge defensive zone win with about 90 seconds left that enabled the Oilers to get the puck into the Stars zone and pull Dubnyk. We all know what happened, but if he loses that draw there are 75 posts saying "stupid Eakins, why does he put Gagner out for a big draw like that" or "stupid Gagner when will he learn to take a draw. We should buy this guy out he sucks so bad". When he wins that draw its crickets on the board. In the game before that he got slaughtered (25%) against the Hawks, but so did every other centerman. And in the game before that he went 64% against the Flyers.

Three of his last four games Gagner has been better than 50% in the circle.
So stop saying he was losing draws all night. Or maybe watch the games before posting.

I actually miss Dan Tencer. Rob Brown is such a shill.
Yup. I thought for the last few years Tencer called it like it was. Him and Brown used to keep each other honest.
With Tencer gone away, CHED is a total Oiler propaganda tool.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Canucks fan coming in 10000% honesty. No hidden jabs.

What's happening to the Oilers absolutely disgust me. Makes me ill. I won't lie, I was really on the 'kick the Oilers while they're down' train for the past few years, but this year has made me feel so bad for the fans and the kids.

You guys do not deserve this. The team is such a ****ing mess. The kids are literally get destroyed, alienated and demoralized every day. In the media. By other teams. By the fans. It's really looking bad.

I wish the team would get just one thing right. Ship out Smyth and Hemsky and this years pick. Bring in a Manny Malhotra. A Ray Whitney. Trade the 1st rounder for a Zetterberg or a StLouis. Make a ridiculous contract offer for Thornton or Selanne.

The kids are just that; kids. They should never be answering media questions. They should not be getting attacked my Rishaug and co. The vets should be taking that for them.

Do any of you think Pavelski, Coture or Hertl would be nearly as good without Marleau and Jumbo Joe?

Do you think Vlasic and Demers would be a top unit wothout playing under Boyle? Hamilton without Chara? The Sedins without Naslund, Bert, Jovo, Ohlund and Salo?

Chris Tanev is not a superstar. Not by any means. I personally think he will end up a good #3, bur he would never had developed without Hammuis, Salo, Edler and Bieksa.

The kids in Edmonton are being forced to be vets. It's insane.

They aren't developed. That still takes years. get some good vets to groom them. Teach them how to succeed. How to face adversity. how to lose. How to win.

Oilers should be targeting Malhota next year. I honestly hope they land him. Something! Anybody!

well, we can thank KLowe for giving the hockey world a 'how not too' for the future. u can't completely blow it up and thru kids to wolves as another poster put it.

Jul 19, 2012
The battle for ineptitude under the guise of the "long-term" rebuild is between Florida and Edmonton. Florida has an excuse, no fans, revolving ownership.
Edmonton.....no such excuse.

ItWasTheCat

Jan 26, 2011
Wasn't sure whether to post here or not as I'm a Canucks fan, but I saw the other guy do it so I'll go ahead.

You guys have all my sympathy. I follow the Oilers quite a bit as I am always heavily invested in them through my fantasy teams. I've actually been looking forward to seeing you guys make the playoffs as I think you have the pieces to make for an extremely entertaining team. It's upsetting that management can't get their **** together and you, as fans, have to deal with it. With some of the players you have your team has no business of being in last place.

Ference is not captain material, too many times have I seen him (and I don't watch that many Oilers games) take a penalty by retaliating after a call was made for the Oilers. He's still playing that hard nosed Bruins game which, let's face it, doesn't work as well in the ref's eyes for anyone but the Bruins. Smyth and Gagner need to go. Trading away a physical Dman for prospects, why?! Dubnyk has been anything but sharp, but he's shown he can play decent, build up the D around him instead of trading pieces away... I could go on, but you guys know what's wrong and I know my frustrations about these decisions are minuscule compared to yours.

As a Canuck I love to hate the Oilers, but it's not the same when it's like this. Here's to you guys icing a competitive team in the near future and making a run for the playoffs, making the Vancouver - Edmonton rivalry fun again! I'm rooting for you guys! :help:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Saw some increased shots from the point tonight and a bit more crashing the net, especially from the RNH line. Hall looked pretty discouraged though.

Didn't like the Gagner line.

It's literally impossible for this roster to defeat the Sharks so I wasn't even upset by the loss.

Watching the team try to handle Thornton & Couture was pretty funny.

Beginning to wonder if our "talented kids" are actually all that great.

you are still wondering? i've made up my mind long ago... simply put: we don't have one super-star on the team.... to use lowetide parlance, we don't have an ace, or even a king, among the entire group... we have one queen (hall), two players who could become queens, but aren't even close to becoming that just yet (RNH, yak) and then a couple 9 and 10s (guys like eberle and perron)... the kids are pretty good players, but they aren't great players... san jose has 3 or 4 players that would be the best player on our entire team for example, and this is something that is repeated for most teams in the league

the time has come to admit that our kids simply aren't that great, full stop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad