Sharks win 3-1

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
you are still wondering? i've made up my mind long ago... simply put: we don't have one super-star on the team.... to use lowetide parlance, we don't have an ace, or even a king, among the entire group... we have one queen (hall), two players who could become queens, but aren't even close to becoming that just yet (RNH, yak) and then a couple 9 and 10s (guys like eberle and perron)... the kids are pretty good players, but they aren't great players... san jose has 3 or 4 players that would be the best player on our entire team for example, and this is something that is repeated for most teams in the league

the time has come to admit that our kids simply aren't that great, full stop

The aces jumbo joe and Patrick Marleau were jacks at 20 years old too.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
you are still wondering? i've made up my mind long ago... simply put: we don't have one super-star on the team.... to use lowetide parlance, we don't have an ace, or even a king, among the entire group... we have one queen (hall), two players who could become queens, but aren't even close to becoming that just yet (RNH, yak) and then a couple 9 and 10s (guys like eberle and perron)... the kids are pretty good players, but they aren't great players... san jose has 3 or 4 players that would be the best player on our entire team for example, and this is something that is repeated for most teams in the league

I agree though I believe nurse will be a king.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
SJ is fun to watch.

I think they've become the next best thing to what DET was 5 or 6 years ago.

Every pass looks like its been done a 1000 times before...going to the same guy...same timing...same plan...same execution...same results...where the finish(s) gets a big exclamation point.

I think a few of those guys...Thonrton & Marleau especially...are as deserving a Cup winner that's not (yet) a Cup winner as we can find.

Doubt they ever make it that far...but...amazing players all the same.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Oh I am absolutely cheering for the Sharks to win it all. Hope JT gets a Cup at some point.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Did anybody else notice that Eakins put out a line in the third period without a centerman to take the draw in the Sharks' zone. Perron took the Faceoff and obviously lost the draw badly. What the ***** was up with that...

I was at the game 8th row behind the Oilers bench. Amazing seats. Had a blast because I kept the beer flowing. I was an idiot tho because I took money out of an ATM at Rexall and was ***** with $3.95 bank fees.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
What system does this team have? They are a one line team (Hall-RNH-Eberle, which pisses me off to no end that they force these guys to stay together) that cycles the puck every now and again. Fleeting moments few and far between where they're able to keep sustained pressure in the opposing zone, it's just so bad. What happened to the vaunted skill and tenacity this team was supposed to have? They're not even good with the puck. If they're not lucky enough to actually get a cycle going it's them on a rush maybe get a chance and the puck is out going back into their own zone full bore.

Another thing, they are so soft, no one, and I mean no one aside from maybe 2 players, ever bother going to the tough areas or are able to win battles in tough situations. The small player excuse is just that, an excuse. It should make them be all the more scrappy, work that much harder.

It's just so frustrating how dumb this team is, how bad it is fundamentally, how much they avoid contact and battling and getting each other fired up on the ice. Show them you have a pulse and that you're not a bunch of ******* and that you're willing to play outside your comfort zone for once. It's just sad seeing how these guys want to play. Is this the systems and the coach? Or are the guys just playing as they want to and are ignoring the message?

skorf

Jun 30, 2013

Maybe management realizes this and realizes we can't trade for an ace or sign one in free agency...

So they are failing for that ace of spades in McDavid in 2015, but we can't appear competitive this year and then be horrible next year, so they just decided to tank this year as well... tank this year for Ekblad and keep him in juniors (same with Nurse). Tank next year for McDavid.

Then in 2015-2016 (maybe new arena that year too????), we bring up McDavid, Ekblad, and Nurse to pair with Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Hall, Klefbom, Perron, Gagner, and Petry (along with guys like Arco, Pitlick, Khaira, Belov, Marcinin, and old man Ference)... that's why we gave the captaincy to Ference, this way they can make him captain until McDavid gets here and then appoint McDavid as captain.... it's all making sense now.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
What system does this team have? They are a one line team (Hall-RNH-Eberle, which pisses me off to no end that they force these guys to stay together) that cycles the puck every now and again. Fleeting moments few and far between where they keep sustained pressure in the opposing zone, it's just so bad.

THIS

why keep on throwing that line out there? They've never been that superstar line that we need them to be when they're together... we should take a page out of San Jose's notebook and spread out our talent.
Perron-Arco/Gagner-Hemsky
Hall-Gordon-Yak
Smyth/Joensuu/Gagner/Arco-Nuge-Eberle
Smyth/Joensuu-Arco/Acton-Gazdic

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Sharks played yesterday and our super coach played with three lines even though we would've needed our 4th lines energy and hits. :shakehead

Did you WATCH the game?! "Energy and hits." Keep on shaking your head, pal. The fourth line was dominated by the Sharks any time they stepped on the ice. The only good play they made was Gazdic's perfect tape-to-tape pass ... to Thornton for a breakout on the third goal.

"Energy and hits." What a laugh.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story there bro. Gagner was 57% tonight against a team full of tough centers. In the game before that he was 54% against the Stars including a huge defensive zone win with about 90 seconds left that enabled the Oilers to get the puck into the Stars zone and pull Dubnyk. We all know what happened, but if he loses that draw there are 75 posts saying "stupid Eakins, why does he put Gagner out for a big draw like that" or "stupid Gagner when will he learn to take a draw. We should buy this guy out he sucks so bad". When he wins that draw its crickets on the board. In the game before that he got slaughtered (25%) against the Hawks, but so did every other centerman. And in the game before that he went 64% against the Flyers.

Three of his last four games Gagner has been better than 50% in the circle.
So stop saying he was losing draws all night. Or maybe watch the games before posting.

Its not like he has improved his Fo stats, 45,3 % are his current numbers.

More alarming is that he looks worse then ever in defensive zone and has lost his offensive drive who gave him 4.8 million a year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
SJ is fun to watch.

Every pass looks like its been done a 1000 times before...going to the same guy...same timing...same plan...same execution...same results...where the finish(s) gets a big exclamation point.

I think a few of those guys...Thonrton & Marleau especially...are as deserving a Cup winner that's not (yet) a Cup winner as we can find.

Been a SJ admirer for years but that said LA plays a much better all round game.

Offensively SJ really clicks and with imaginative play and breaking down D's for fun. They have so many set pieces that work to perfection.

The trouble is, and I again saw it last night in spades, is SJ gives up a lot of chances that a premier team just shouldn't. I was astounded by how much they gave us last night. Something LA Kings rarely do. Its the back end that always seems to seal the Sharks fate and it still is from the looks of it.

Sharks are going to have to really dominate to make it to the SC. They just don't own close games like some other clubs do. Again last night, even against a horrible Oilers squad they let us back in the game. Its a bad habit the Sharks have often had.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Canucks fan coming in 10000% honesty. No hidden jabs.

What's happening to the Oilers absolutely disgust me. Makes me ill. I won't lie, I was really on the 'kick the Oilers while they're down' train for the past few years, but this year has made me feel so bad for the fans and the kids.

You guys do not deserve this. The team is such a ****ing mess. The kids are literally get destroyed, alienated and demoralized every day. In the media. By other teams. By the fans. It's really looking bad.

I wish the team would get just one thing right. Ship out Smyth and Hemsky and this years pick. Bring in a Manny Malhotra. A Ray Whitney. Trade the 1st rounder for a Zetterberg or a StLouis. Make a ridiculous contract offer for Thornton or Selanne.

The kids are just that; kids. They should never be answering media questions. They should not be getting attacked my Rishaug and co. The vets should be taking that for them.

Do any of you think Pavelski, Coture or Hertl would be nearly as good without Marleau and Jumbo Joe?

Do you think Vlasic and Demers would be a top unit wothout playing under Boyle? Hamilton without Chara? The Sedins without Naslund, Bert, Jovo, Ohlund and Salo?

Chris Tanev is not a superstar. Not by any means. I personally think he will end up a good #3, bur he would never had developed without Hammuis, Salo, Edler and Bieksa.

The kids in Edmonton are being forced to be vets. It's insane.

They aren't developed. That still takes years. get some good vets to groom them. Teach them how to succeed. How to face adversity. how to lose. How to win.

Oilers should be targeting Malhota next year. I honestly hope they land him. Something! Anybody!

That sentence speaks volumes. Looking back, I think Tambos/Lowe thought they were surrounding the kids with vets. Like Horcoff, Hemsky, and resigned Smyth. Only problem is none of those guys showed the fire in the belly you see from vets on other teams.

This year is officially a write off, playoff wise. So, Oiler fans will have to just sit back and watch another version of the rebuild go down. My therapist told me to just grab on to another team for the rest of the year. GO BOSTON!!! :handclap:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Been a SJ admirer for years but that said LA plays a much better all round game.

Offensively SJ really clicks and with imaginative play and breaking down D's for fun. They have so many set pieces that work to perfection.

The trouble is, and I again saw it last night in spades, is SJ gives up a lot of chances that a premier team just shouldn't. I was astounded by how much they gave us last night. Something LA Kings rarely do. Its the back end that always seems to seal the Sharks fate and it still is from the looks of it.

Sharks are going to have to really dominate to make it to the SC. They just don't own close games like some other clubs do. Again last night, even against a horrible Oilers squad they let us back in the game. Its a bad habit the Sharks have often had.

Yep, SJ actually did give the Oilers a lot of chances to come back in that game. Smyth should have had that open net and they rung a few off posts as well.

Oilers ended up with 31 shots which shows it was a pretty wide open game with lots of chances both ways.

The game could have been much higher scoring for both sides with more "puck luck".

Saying all that... this was the 2nd of back to back road games for the Sharks (and their 3rd road game in 4 nights + 4th road game in 6 nights)... so to say the Sharks likely weren't quite as sharp and rested and pressing on the gas as hard as they could have is probably accurate as well.

San Jose basically did all they had to do to win the game in the 1st... opened the door for the Oilers just enough to give them an opportunity to think they might have a chance and then basically just ran out the clock.

A good team would likely have come back in those last 2 periods and made a real game of it... probably pushing it to OT at least.

Oilers though, well we have to be happy that they at least scored a goal at home for the first time in 4 games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yep, SJ actually did give the Oilers a lot of chances to come back in that game. Smyth should have had that open net and they rung a few off posts as well.

Oilers ended up with 31 shots which shows it was a pretty wide open game with lots of chances both ways.

The game could have been much higher scoring for both sides with more "puck luck".

Saying all that... this was the 2nd of back to back road games for the Sharks (and their 3rd road game in 4 nights + 4th road game in 6 nights)... so to say the Sharks likely weren't quite as sharp and rested and pressing on the gas as hard as they could have is probably accurate as well.

San Jose basically did all they had to do to win the game in the 1st... opened the door for the Oilers just enough to give them an opportunity to think they might have a chance and then basically just ran out the clock.

A good team would likely have come back in those last 2 periods and made a real game of it... probably pushing it to OT at least.

Oilers though, well we have to be happy that they at least scored a goal at home for the first time in 4 games.

Agree with everything, particularly the bolded. It was evident from the outset and from first seconds of first shift that Sharks were intent on closing game out early. Dubnyk beat 11 secs into the game, lol. But you could just see the intent so clearly. This is a game where if the Oilers stayed in it longer, it would've improved their chances.

That said without untold snakebit through the roster we might end up winning this game. Eberle, Smyth, Hemmer, Hall, Gagner have very little scoring confidence right now.

Only guys going are Perron, Yak, the only forwards I can see that have some puck confidence.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005

They'll have to get some bounces and high end 'tending to get what they want.

I think CHI & STL are probably both a little bit deeper overall.

Still...Thornton is a guy who I've always respected...even back when he was having less than incredible playoff performances...so...really nothing new for me to pump his tires.

But Marleau...wow...that guy is a vastly underrated player...by me and many others people.

I was listening to a few fellas' who were playing JR & Pro back when he Marleau was first breaking into the NHL and he was one of those guys who other players "just knew" was a special cut of special. They say he is among an all time group of "perfect skaters". The fact he's got an excellent shot to go with it...plus vision...plus smarts.

I'm pretty sure I want those guys together in Sochi.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
Our second period had a good effort for a bit. The first thing I noticed in the first was that lots of players were just coasting not skating. Hence the 16 giveaways. Talk about getting our pockets picked. As previously stated SJ seem to also be generous with giving the opposing team chances to get back in. We still have very few willing to go into the house to get the greasy goals. DD played better then I thought he would. Our team is the " could have, should have, would have but didn't finish " disease. Onto Cowtown tonight.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Everest I agree with most of what you say, but the regular season is worth pretty much nothing at this point of the current core group's legacy. Plus, they were playing the Oilers, literally everyone looks better when playing against them. Star players look that much better, goalies play better, and team games always seem tighter and more deadly.

They peak too early and then have their ups and downs throughout the year. I really like Joe Thornton and SJ's team in general but this all means nothing unless they make a trip to the Cup finals IMO.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They'll have to get some bounces and high end 'tending to get what they want.

I think CHI & STL are probably both a little bit deeper overall.

Still...Thornton is a guy who I've always respected...even back when he was having less than incredible playoff performances...so...really nothing new for me to pump his tires.

But Marleau...wow...that guy is a vastly underrated player...by me and many others people.

I was listening to a few fellas' who were playing JR & Pro back when he Marleau was first breaking into the NHL and he was one of those guys who other players "just knew" was a special cut of special. They say he is among an all time group of "perfect skaters". The fact he's got an excellent shot to go with it...plus vision...plus smarts.

I'm pretty sure I want those guys together in Sochi.
I think Thornton is close to one of my favorite players. Marleau as well Definitely in there. But Sharks really continue to supplement that roster well, at least in forwards. I really enjoy watching the Sharks, very entertaining club and in some way remind me of 1970's era Montreal Canadiens but with less good D of course. Although Larry Robinson is of course a tie in.

Larry Robinson is god in my world. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Everest I agree with most of what you say, but the regular season is worth pretty much nothing at this point of the current core group's legacy. Plus, they were playing the Oilers, literally everyone looks better when playing against them. Star players look that much better, goalies play better, and team games always seem tighter and more deadly.

They peak too early and then have their ups and downs throughout the year. I really like Joe Thornton and SJ's team in general but this all means nothing unless they make a trip to the Cup finals IMO.

I've always noted too sharks have trouble keeping on their best game. In past years always seemed like hiccups along the way but on the other hand this is the most consistent club in hockey, always good, every year, and most playoff games played by any team. never got all the way, but always in there.

Sharks though keep building more depth and they can really spread the offense around a lot better now. So they should be able to sustain success more.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
SJ is fun to watch.

They are my fav to win this year. Such a good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad