Sharks win 3-1

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They are my fav to win this year. Such a good team.

If KIngs stay healthy I'm still picking them. Most dominant D on the planet by a mile, most physical club, and really play a sensible game in every regard. A team that is made to play playoff hockey. With the regular season just being in training.

Kings were missing Willie Mitchell big time last year.

But man, this division is packed. We're small fish in a shark sea. lol that the Canucks would be 2nd place in the entire east conference but end up being 5th in the Pacific.

The continental plates are leaning heavily here..

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Sharks faster than they've ever been.

Oilers push back? It's called score effects. Down 3-0.

Oilers play that typified the season? Eberle gets the puck, drives in, goes behind the net, circled around, throws the puck out to nobody at the point.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I've always noted too sharks have trouble keeping on their best game. In past years always seemed like hiccups along the way but on the other hand this is the most consistent club in hockey, always good, every year, and most playoff games played by any team. never got all the way, but always in there.

Sharks though keep building more depth and they can really spread the offense around a lot better now. So they should be able to sustain success more.

I think Couture could be the solution to a lot of what has ailed past SJ Cup attempts.

As good as Marleau & Thornton are...Couture could be the best player skating in the playoffs for SJ this spring.

If those 3 are all going good in the same game/series...they've got a chance to beat anybody on any night.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just a comment on how poor the TSN broadcast commentary has been this week. Ignoring all the Rishaug bs in regard to Yak Gord Miller and Ferraro are getting worse with age and every season. Just absolutely clueless and so many mistakes made.

Heres one thats inexcusable though from a telecast POV. Gord Miller makes the same mistake in consecutive broadcasts of the same team. Twice this week, in different games he referenced "Gagner hasn't scored yet in 19 games;..... Gagner hasn't scored yet in 20 games" indicating that nobody in the entire broadcast team knew, or informed him that Gagner has missed 13 games this season.
When I here stuff like this, and mistakes made in consecutive fashion (inexcusable absence of knowledge) I literally cringe.

Oh Gord Miller..what happened? You just go through the motions now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sharks faster than they've ever been.

Oilers push back? It's called score effects. Down 3-0.

Oilers play that typified the season? Eberle gets the puck, drives in, goes behind the net, circled around, throws the puck out to nobody at the point.

Eberle and Smyth had a lot of free reign against the Sharks who were guilty of allowing far too much puck possession by the Oilers. Conversely teams like StL, LA, Detroit have made more of a "This is our puck" statement.

I had no idea why Sharks were playing us so loose. tbh the Flyers did a better job shutting us down.

This is still the weak part in the Sharks hull. That they give up such quality scoring chances. Guilty of watching the play for almost the entire second period.

Eberle I thought was more effective(one of the few times I think that) because the Sharks allowed him so much space. Why do that? Most teams in the league have learned how to make Eberle a non factor. That even Ryan Smyth had 3 scoring chances was indicative of how poorly the Sharks played in this game.

I almost think the Sharks were sympathetic. It was like they were trying to give us a goal in the 2nd. It was uncanny.

Mustymustard

Mar 8, 2013
Just a comment on how poor the TSN broadcast commentary has been this week. Ignoring all the Rishaug bs in regard to Yak Gord Miller and Ferraro are getting worse with age and every season. Just absolutely clueless and so many mistakes made.

Heres one thats inexcusable though from a telecast POV. Gord Miller makes the same mistake in consecutive broadcasts of the same team. Twice this week, in different games he referenced "Gagner hasn't scored yet in 19 games;..... Gagner hasn't scored yet in 20 games" indicating that nobody in the entire broadcast team knew, or informed him that Gagner has missed 13 games this season.
When I here stuff like this, and mistakes made in consecutive fashion (inexcusable absence of knowledge) I literally cringe.

Oh Gord Miller..what happened? You just go through the motions now.

It appears that they are referring to his 12 game streak continued from last year

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I had no idea why Sharks were playing us so loose. tbh the Flyers did a better job shutting us down.

Because they know they can take it easy during a back to back with minimal effort against this team and still come out with 2 points.

Nobody players the Oilers hard, lets be reality here. The flyers played better because at that point they were even in the standings and just as bad, they had some pride and did not want to lose to this team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It appears that they are referring to his 12 game streak continued from last year

I don't think so.

Plus that one of the Miller quotes referred to this season, the other was something like Gagner without a goal in 20 games thus far.

I think its pretty clear Miller didn't even know Gagner was out.

Poor attention to detail and research imo.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Because they know they can take it easy during a back to back with minimal effort against this team and still come out with 2 points.

Nobody players the Oilers hard, lets be reality here. The flyers played better because at that point they were even in the standings and just as bad, they had some pride and did not want to lose to this team.

It was more a rhetorical question. yeah, I agree totally, almost every team takes us lightly, people forget that this is a large part of how our youngstars have been able to pad pts in their careers. That most clubs just aren't playing us hard and rarely do.

If the shutout string does anything I hope it introduces more humility to the ballerinas on this club that think they can still score hilite reel goals at will. I wonder how much it'll take before they realize that NHL goals are usually a function of team, rather than individual play.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I don't think so.

Plus that one of the Miller quotes referred to this season, the other was something like Gagner without a goal in 20 games thus far.

I think its pretty clear Miller didn't even know Gagner was out.

Poor attention to detail and research imo.

Of course he meant the 12 games to end last season and 8 games this season! They have all the stats with them, and surely they didnt missed that he been injured.

Delete the rant and find another target!:D

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
S8y7Pnv.gif

We didn't get shut out for a fourth game in a row on home ice, but we still got the record for the longest scoreless streak on home ice, in the modern era..

Northstars 1972/73 203:02 minutes

Oilers 2013/14 214:52 minutes

The last time this record was surpassed was 84 years ago....

Another great accomplishment to add to 6Ring's legacy...

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
S8y7Pnv.gif

We didn't get shut out for a fourth game in a row on home ice, but we still got the record for the longest scoreless streak on home ice, in the modern era..

Northstars 1972/73 203:02 minutes

Oilers 2013/14 214:52 minutes

The last time this record was surpassed was 84 years ago....

Another great accomplishment to add to 6Ring's legacy...

Gagner with a gorgeous assist there. worth every penny.

:laugh:

a trash shot rebounding to a trick shot...
sounds like the entire season. trash and tricks. AND1 hockey players. fancy yet cannot play in a real league.

FlyOil

Dec 14, 2012
Philadelphia
I can't speak for him, but I agree those 2 would be the best ones to trade, as they'd give us the best chance at filling some glaring holes in the line up. Eberle for an Evander Kane type player, and Gagner for a defenseman.

Yes Eberle would yield a solid player, but I don't think getting rid of the leading scorer on the team is smart right now. Especially because Edm management has showed interest in building the franchise around Hall, RNH & Eberle

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ya that goal was pretty magical to watch on replay over and over.

That's the kind of goal you'll only see once a season or so. :)

It's like they had to save up all their mojo for 4 games and remain scoreless just to pot a beauty like that.

Now we just have to wait another 4 games before they get another at home.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Yes Eberle would yield a solid player, but I don't think getting rid of the leading scorer on the team is smart right now. Especially because Edm management has showed interest in building the franchise around Hall, RNH & Eberle

Hence why they will never be a successful team.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Wait, how did Dubnyk play well again? He was cleanly beat on about 10 shots last night. C'mon guys.

Couture shoulda had 5 goals.

On the positive side of things, Yak was decent. Really rooting for the guy, he's is trying almost too hard.
Smytty (FTR I usually cringe watching him) actually played phenomenal for what he brings to the table. No jets left whatsoever, but smart positionally and actually created a couple chances.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
71yq.png
Ya that goal was pretty magical to watch on replay over and over.

That's the kind of goal you'll only see once a season or so. :)

It's like they had to save up all their mojo for 4 games and remain scoreless just to pot a beauty like that.

Now we just have to wait another 4 games before they get another at home.

That shot was amazing..it floated through the air, and the second it hit the ice he "nailed" it.
I watched four videos of that shot, frame by frame, you can only see him contacting the puck...next time you see the puck was when it hit the back of the net.

That was a bullet..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
71yq.png

That shot was amazing..it floated through the air, and the second it hit the ice he "nailed" it.
I watched four videos of that shot, frame by frame, you can only see him contacting the puck...next time you see the puck was when it hit the back of the net.

That was a bullet..

Thing about Yaks goals is so many of them are absolute lazers. Just beauties where he fires the puck like no other player on this club can.

Seems like just days ago that I was arguing with all those people that insisted yak was cancer junk and that he should be gone. Those people are conspicuously missing and not posting now.

I wonder as well if any media wags like Rishaug are still piping up about "lousy Yak" or Eakins talking about "earning minutes"

jebus, we got one guy on this club that looks like he can score a goal lately. Yeah I'd say give Yak the minutes. Especially on home ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->