GDT: Sharks vs Ottawa 7pm HNIC Thornton 1000th -1 game in teal, no Vlasic, Braun GTD

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
There'd be too many sticks hitting heads and necks and faces. I always wince when I see someone flailing around with their stick way over their head.

Really? I don't see the rule stopping anyone from trying to knock down high pucks. And it's a penalty already for high sticking. Get rid of the f***ing rule. It's stupid. They could get rid of putting yourself offsides first, though.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Really? I don't see the rule stopping anyone from trying to knock down high pucks. And it's a penalty already for high sticking. Get rid of the ****ing rule. It's stupid.
This exactly. There is a penalty for hitting someone so if you are skillful/smart enough not to then you should be able to make the play.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
This exactly. There is a penalty for hitting someone so if you are skillful/smart enough not to then you should be able to make the play.
This rule and having your skate on the ice for offsides are two that bother me

Reactions: Sandisfan

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
It would be attempted a lot more than it is now; it really is for player safety. The same logic why kicking the puck will never be allowed, even though that could be a "skill" as well.

Reactions: landshark

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It would be attempted a lot more than it is now; it really is for player safety. The same logic why kicking the puck will never be allowed, even though that could be a "skill" as well.
Currently it doesn't seem like people aren't trying. Killing the play is beneficial most times. Better than getting beaten or turning it over.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The reason is when the lob play happens players are busting up ice and not controlling gaps so there is space around players.

Reactions: WSS11

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Really? I don't see the rule stopping anyone from trying to knock down high pucks. And it's a penalty already for high sticking. Get rid of the ****ing rule. It's stupid. They could get rid of putting yourself offsides first, though.

Three things can happen, think:

1. player plays touches the puck high. whistle blows if the player that touched it high/his teammate plays it.
2. stick of player(s) hits head/neck/face 2 to 4 min penalty. EDIT: Just dug up the rule, could actually cause a Match Penalty.
3. played misses puck/heads/necks/faces of those around him and play continues.

Nothing to stop them from trying, except the rules are geared to have nothing come of playing it high to discourage people from swinging their sticks around at head height or better. Same with the stick hitting the puck above the crossbar to score a goal. That's a rule for the same reason in my eyes.

If a player knocks it down with his glove then plays it himself, or the other team plays it, good to go. Seems like the rules are geared to encourage players to not swing their sticks head height and instead play high pucks with their hands.

Pretty sure the Players Association would rather keep the game safe. Wouldn't make much sense for owners to allow high touches to protect their investments. Aren't contracts guaranteed in the NHL? They don't even let folks make contact on icings anymore to help lessen the potential for serious injury. I couldn't see them changing the rules to no longer discourage playing the puck with a high stick.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Everybody's would be ridiculously low except for possibly some flukes. This is for fun, not tiny percentages.

Except that one poster who was in it to game the system by always picking to a formula. But he clearly wasn't doing it for fun. He was doing it because winning a silly contest on a message board mattered for some reason.

Reactions: landshark

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I think we can get away from a hard shutdown pairing now that we have 3 pairings play at a high level defensively.

I don’t know man, Vlasic and Braun have been a nightmare against other teams top lines. The Dillon EK65 pairing did very well vs mcdavid and kucherov. Keeping going with what works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad