GDT: Sharks vs Ottawa 7pm HNIC Thornton 1000th -1 game in teal, no Vlasic, Braun GTD

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
SNOG announcement

Remember when rookie phenom @Insignia won the 2011-12 SNOG season? I do. Well he's now just one SNOG away from a share of the lead for this season!

Second Half SNOG Results:

#Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
42Jan. 2 at AvalanchenoneSharks 5-4
43Jan. 5 vs LightningnoneSharks 5-2
44Jan. 7 vs Kingssocalsharksfan, seroesSharks 3-1
45Jan. 8 vs OilersnoneSharks 7-2
46Jan. 10 at Golden KnightsHOOCH2173Sharks 3-2
47Jan. 12 vs SenatorsInsigniaSharks 4-1
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank
2018-19 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
1.HOOCH21733
T-2.Insignia, SJSharksfan39, socalsharksfan2
T-5.BaileyMacTavish, Bizz, fasterthanlight, FeedingFrenzy, Herschel, Kcoyote3, Nolan11, Ol Dirty Pirate, PackShark, rangerssharks414, seroes, SFtoBoston, Tkachuk4MVP1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

dang it! I must keep guessing right then!

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Right. Its not his skill or physicality has deteriorated to the point that he is not a top-4 D-man. Its simply him not being willing to play to his strengths and trying to be the type of D-man he has never been in his life.
I think that's exactly the point. The mental aspect and how a person plays is just as important as their skill/talent and physicality. I think it is faulty to say "he would be a top-4 if only...", even if what comes after that is just an adjustment of style/priorities and not skill/physical.

I won't be considering Vlasic a top-4 until he stops trying to compete on offense with EK65 and Burns, and goes back to being defensive minded defensemen. And stops being deployed on the PP...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think that's exactly the point. The mental aspect and how a person plays is just as important as their skill/talent and physicality. I think it is faulty to say "he would be a top-4 if only...", even if what comes after that is just an adjustment of style/priorities and not skill/physical.

I won't be considering Vlasic a top-4 until he stops trying to compete on offense with EK65 and Burns, and goes back to being defensive minded defensemen. And stops being deployed on the PP...

You are acting like Vlasic has never been a top-4 D-man and he has no history in playing like one. Despite how bad he has looked generally this year, he has looked decent when he has played to his strength this year. It has been few and far between but he has definitely looked like a top-4 D-man. The problems with him mainly are:

1. Mental: Vlasic is trying to force the play too much in the offensive zone. Pinching when he should not be and leading to odd-man rushes the other way. Not sure if this is related to EK65 or something else, but its definitely mental. The games he has looked good this year, he has focused on the basics and played solid shutdown D.
2. Deployment and Pairing: Vlasic is being forced to eat hard shutdown minutes against other teams top-lines. This plus being paired with Braun who is also not having the best of seasons is most definitely not helping the case.

I am really hoping that the recent injuries to Vlasic and Braun are a blessing in disguise. It shows that the team can play really good D without either of those two and that we have options. PDB now has options on how to use and deploy them. Whether he chooses to do that or not, is a totally different issue.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
You are acting like Vlasic has never been a top-4 D-man and he has no history in playing like one. Despite how bad he has looked generally this year, he has looked decent when he has played to his strength this year. It has been few and far between but he has definitely looked like a top-4 D-man. The problems with him mainly are:

1. Mental: Vlasic is trying to force the play too much in the offensive zone. Pinching when he should not be and leading to odd-man rushes the other way. Not sure if this is related to EK65 or something else, but its definitely mental. The games he has looked good this year, he has focused on the basics and played solid shutdown D.
2. Deployment and Pairing: Vlasic is being forced to eat hard shutdown minutes against other teams top-lines. This plus being paired with Braun who is also not having the best of seasons is most definitely not helping the case.

I am really hoping that the recent injuries to Vlasic and Braun are a blessing in disguise. It shows that the team can play really good D without either of those two and that we have options. PDB now has options on how to use and deploy them. Whether he chooses to do that or not, is a totally different issue.
Perhaps I miss-worded that. It would be more clear to say "I won't be considering Vlasic a top-4 defensemen again...". I absolutely think he was top-4 in the past. In fact there were a few years I believe he was top-5 in the league and should have gotten Norris consideration, if the Norris wasn't all about offense anyways. So I think he has the skill and physical ability to still be a top-4 easily, but will he change his game back to what got him onto team Canada? We can only hope.

He has played that shutdown role vs top lines amazingly well in the past. I remember a stat from a few years ago about how he gets hard matched against Crosby, and Crosby had really bad stats because of it. I think there was even a quote from him about how he has always struggled vs Vlasic ever since juniors.

I think you are right that it is a blessing in disguise. Hopefully he gets slightly softer minutes, and sees that if he simply plays more of a defensive game he can really be a key to the D. If he can take 20-22 minutes a night with a little harder matchups than EK65/Burns, and focus on his defense, he will be invaluable.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Question about Kane...thinking about trading for him in my keeper...what are your thoughts. Looking at boxscores tells me he is only useful when he's hot...like he is right now. He's 27, in his prime on a great team...Do you see him getting any better, or is it what you see is what you get type deal?

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but didn't see a line-up thread or Kane thread.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Question about Kane...thinking about trading for him in my keeper...what are your thoughts. Looking at boxscores tells me he is only useful when he's hot...like he is right now. He's 27, in his prime on a great team...Do you see him getting any better, or is it what you see is what you get type deal?

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but didn't see a line-up thread or Kane thread.
I wouldn't take him, he could die or something, then you would def lose in fantasy.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

what you see is what you get.

he is streaky

Reactions: nally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad