Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Thompson is gonna be a guy that's bouncing between the NHL and AHL next year so I don't think we need to worry about finding a spot for him in the NHL just yet. Our lineup also doesn't have any real bonafides so I'm sure there's gonna be a ton of rotation on who gets scratched from game to game. So I'd bet we carry 8 dmen and you'll see Vlasic, Benning, Burroughs, Addison, Emberson, Thrun, Rutta, and Muk get their fair share of scratches.

There's a strong possibility of Benning and Burroughs heading to the AHL too. In a lot of ways, Benning is one of our better defensemen but he's been out for the whole season with a hip injury and is slow and will probably be slowing down even further.

Ideally, we just bring in a legit defense pairing and not have to worry about this.

Reactions: coooldude

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
There's a lot of variables at play there given who we have under contract, who we have as RFA's, and who is pretty much untradeable out of that group. I think if Muk and Thompson are playing on the Sharks next year, they're on different pairings with veterans at their hip. Then we'd have to figure out who is eating the tough minutes getting clobbered ahead of them.

Ferraro-Benning
Muk-Rutta
Vlasic-Thompson

That can work as pairings even though they're going to get rocked a lot. But it also means that guys like Addison, Emberson, and Thrun are the odd men out. And while I know Thrun has been struggling to get it done at the NHL level this year, I think he has it in him to at least be a solid depth defenseman with some experience and Emberson has been pretty solid every time he's been in the lineup. Addison I can take or leave but if he ever found consistency in his offensive game, there would be a useful player there considering all our defensemen have been average at best with the puck.
I'm guessing that this is right for the top 4. And then, Thompson is in the AHL while Vlasic, Emberson, Thrun, Addison are D 5-8. Injuries will lead to call-ups and we see if any of the young guys take the next step. I would say Emberson is probably D #5 and the rest of them are getting scratched based on performance, including Vlasic.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I think Thompson is gonna be a guy that's bouncing between the NHL and AHL next year so I don't think we need to worry about finding a spot for him in the NHL just yet. Our lineup also doesn't have any real bonafides so I'm sure there's gonna be a ton of rotation on who gets scratched from game to game. So I'd bet we carry 8 dmen and you'll see Vlasic, Benning, Burroughs, Addison, Emberson, Thrun, Rutta, and Muk get their fair share of scratches.

There's a strong possibility of Benning and Burroughs heading to the AHL too. In a lot of ways, Benning is one of our better defensemen but he's been out for the whole season with a hip injury and is slow and will probably be slowing down even further.

Ideally, we just bring in a legit defense pairing and not have to worry about this.
I forgot Burroughs was on a 3 year contract and was looking forward to getting rid of him on the offseason.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm guessing that this is right for the top 4. And then, Thompson is in the AHL while Vlasic, Emberson, Thrun, Addison are D 5-8. Injuries will lead to call-ups and we see if any of the young guys take the next step. I would say Emberson is probably D #5 and the rest of them are getting scratched based on performance, including Vlasic.
Maybe but considering our cap situation going into the offseason, we need to spend about 17 mil to reach the floor and we maybe have about 7.5 mil in RFA's to re-sign based on their QO's. We'll need to spend about 10 mil to reach the floor before we include whatever cap we're losing by dumping defensemen.

It'll make it interesting to see what Grier's idea is for free agency. I sure as hell would love to overpay Stamkos for four years to captain this team and play on Celebrini's wing. It probably won't happen but that would be very interesting to me.

• Wow

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Maybe but considering our cap situation going into the offseason, we need to spend about 17 mil to reach the floor and we maybe have about 7.5 mil in RFA's to re-sign based on their QO's. We'll need to spend about 10 mil to reach the floor before we include whatever cap we're losing by dumping defensemen.

It'll make it interesting to see what Grier's idea is for free agency. I sure as hell would love to overpay Stamkos for four years to captain this team and play on Celebrini's wing. It probably won't happen but that would be very interesting to me.
I'm not sure if you thought I was saying we would dump defensemen, I was simply agreeing with your lineup but emphasizing that I think Emberson is our 5D and the rest are rotating in 6-7th.

But yes, if I were grier I'd take a pass at Stamkos but the likelihood is of course low. It'll sure be a more interesting offeason (and draft) than last year.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
What a great pick.
Sarcasm?
I'm not sure if you thought I was saying we would dump defensemen, I was simply agreeing with your lineup but emphasizing that I think Emberson is our 5D and the rest are rotating in 6-7th.

But yes, if I were grier I'd take a pass at Stamkos but the likelihood is of course low. It'll sure be a more interesting offeason (and draft) than last year.
I agree with the sentiment, but I also think that Emberson has a shot at being the teams best defenseman next season.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009

Due diligence. 1OA I think it’s obviously Celebrini. 2nd OA I believe it’ll be either Levshunov, Demidov or Lindstrom. 3rd OA will be whoever’s left between the aforementioned names. I still think I’d go Lindstrom over Demidov if Levshunov goes #2. Although Demidov on Smiths wing will probably score a lot of pts and be very fun to watch.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Due diligence. 1OA I think it’s obviously Celebrini. 2nd OA I believe it’ll be either Levshunov, Demidov or Lindstrom. 3rd OA will be whoever’s left between the aforementioned names. I still think I’d go Lindstrom over Demidov if Levshunov goes #2. Although Demidov on Smiths wing will probably score a lot of pts and be very fun to watch.
If we're not landing Celebrini, then I can't see Grier passing on Lindstrom.
Big, can skate and is a player of color.

• Haha
Reactions: cheechoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad