Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
An odd statement from @Mattb124, but I will point out that the Sharks have had a long history of letting the wrong things color their judgment:

1) Hiring former players beyond their competence
2) Hiring DW jr in the first place
3) Drafting a player because of his father
4) Drafting a player because he was from San Jose
5) Drafting a player because he is the nephew of the current coach
6) Drafting a player because he was crying and the GM felt bad
7) Drafting players from a certain region to create a narrative
8) Not drafting player due to that player's nationality (has no doubt happened numerous times)
9) Acquiring the brother of a current player/prospect

Would I put it beyond the Sharks to assign extra points to a player for some stupid reason?
While your are not wrong, that’s an NHL-thing and not a Sharks thing.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hockey is entertainment. Sports is a show. Keeping an eye toward your audience isn’t inherently bad or unusual.
I think it's...reductive, if that's the right word? Focus on building a winning team, and fans will come. The type of fan who would only watch if a member of her race was on the team is a fan that team could do without!

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I think it's...reductive, if that's the right word? Focus on building a winning team, and fans will come. The type of fan who would only watch if a member of her race was on the team is a fan that team could do without!
Why is that? Filipinos are very big in supporting star Filipino ahlthetes. Given the rather large Filipino community in the Bay Area, having a Jason Robertson would undoubtedly put fannies in the seats

You might not care about that, but management and ownership does.
Why bother with all these salutes to various ethnic group nights?
I'm betting it's to grow the fan base in the very diverse home market.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Firstly, it is possible to do more than one thing at a time. You may be shocked to learn that organizations have entirely different people focusing on the building the winning team and the marketing of the team, and marketers, having no influence on “the winning” part, are free to explore the other venues of attracting new fans.

As others have pointed out sports is entertainment and personal, human, stories can be a way to grab the attention of otherwise unaware potential fans. The winning, obviously, helps keep their attention but winning championships isn’t actually necessary to do so. Plenty of teams with strong fanbases haven’t won jack (Blues up until 2019 being just one example).

On a personal note, I haven’t watched the 49ers with any consistency for years. But, the Purdy story and his success proved interesting enough to get me to watch 🤷‍♂️ I guess I love an underdog story.

Why is that? Filipinos are very big in supporting star Filipino ahlthetes. Given the rather large Filipino community in the Bay Area, having a Jason Robertson would undoubtedly put fannies in the seats

You might not care about that, but management and ownership does.
Why bother with all these salutes to various ethnic group nights?
I'm betting it's to grow the fan base in the very diverse home market.

lol. The way Filipinos support their community If the Sharks had a Filipino player of even moderate impact you could kiss their attendance issues goodbye :laugh:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
You're really going to try to tear down probably the single decent thing Doug Wilson Jr. has done in his entire life?
Not trying to tear it down at all, just suggesting (as have others) that the Sharks organization makes decisions that are not purely performance-related and which may be informed by, and the messaging curated for, the fanbase based on its social/political leanings. More of a comment on the fanbase really.

During my 25-year career at a national corporation headquartered in San Francisco, the firm made a number of policy decisions to be more outwardly reflective of SF's community values. Some played out well, some resulted in boycotts.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Not trying to tear it down at all, just suggesting (as have others) that the Sharks organization makes decisions that are not purely performance-related and which may be informed by, and the messaging curated for, the fanbase based on its social/political leanings. More of a comment on the fanbase really.

During my 25-year career at a national corporation headquartered in San Francisco, the firm made a number of policy decisions to be more outwardly reflective of SF's community values. Some played out well, some resulted in boycotts.
One could argue that DWJR's handling of the pick for Wiesblatt might fall into that category, but he's since been canned from the organization. After then, I don't see how a single draft pick could fall into the category of virtue signaling.

You also made the point after the discussion of picking Cayden Lindstrom, which seems like a perfectly logical pick given the Sharks don't get the #1. Why would selecting Cayden Lindstrom be virtue signaling?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
One could argue that DWJR's handling of the pick for Wiesblatt might fall into that category, but he's since been canned from the organization. After then, I don't see how a single draft pick could fall into the category of virtue signaling.

You also made the point after the discussion of picking Cayden Lindstrom, which seems like a perfectly logical pick given the Sharks don't get the #1. Why would selecting Cayden Lindstrom be virtue signaling?
Yeah, not to accuse the poster of anything, but the timing was a little suspicious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad