Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Last time, in Sharks prospect discussion:

Sharks Prospect discussion returns.... right now!

<gonna lock this up for a couple minutes so I can get some claimed posts at hte start in case I eventually start doing something with them. It's been like 3 or 4 iterations of the thread whre I've promised this and had nothing come of it. But one day, maybe.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Do we retain Kashnikov’s negotiating rights? Or is this a situation where we’re pretty much letting him walk.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He remains under Sharks control indefinitely. Sharks still own the NHL rights for Emil Galimov.
is that the case even though he never signed with the sharks? Normally CHL drafted players have three years before rights expire.

As far as I knew that only applied to former players under contract who went to the KHL or guys drafted from Russia.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
is that the case even though he never signed with the sharks? Normally CHL drafted players have three years before rights expire.

As far as I knew that only applied to former players under contract who went to the KHL or guys drafted from Russia.
According to capfriendly we still have his rights

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

You're right, brain goof.

Cap friendly says we have his rights until early summer 2023. So hopefully he plays a year, develops into something interesting, and we sign him to play with the Barracuda in 23-24.

I mean, hopefully he turns into prime Burns starting next year, but let's be realistic.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Very painful list for Sharks if your put a lot of trust in Wheeler. Not only is Eklund dropping a decent amount, the Sharks could have had a bunch of players on this list at 11 or even multiple players with the trade down from 11. If you include the honorable mentions the Sharks have 1 prospect in the top 80.
I feel like this list speaks exactly to how crazy hockey prospecting is, when you have guys like Wheeler putting players higher in his overall prospect list than their actual draft spot a couple weeks ago. Obviously he's just sticking to his guns, and I'm not going to be mad at him for saying nice things about Eklund, but this is a seriously inexact science and for all the whinging about the Sharks' picks that we saw during the draft this year, so much of what we're talking about (outside of the very top players, a small group) has to do with one person's preferences, whether that person's a GM, a hockey writer, or some dude commenting on HF Boards.

Who knows who'll be right and who'll be wrong--the likelihood is that everyone will have some hits and some misses; check the receipts in five years or so--but it tells me just how foolish it is to act like your way of thinking is the only way.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Very painful list for Sharks if your put a lot of trust in Wheeler. Not only is Eklund dropping a decent amount, the Sharks could have had a bunch of players on this list at 11 or even multiple players with the trade down from 11. If you include the honorable mentions the Sharks have 1 prospect in the top 80.
This is the reality of the Sharks prospect pool to everyone except homer fans. It’s Eklund, who probably won’t even be a true star, and absolutely nothing else.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I feel like this list speaks exactly to how crazy hockey prospecting is, when you have guys like Wheeler putting players higher in his overall prospect list than their actual draft spot a couple weeks ago. Obviously he's just sticking to his guns, and I'm not going to be mad at him for saying nice things about Eklund, but this is a seriously inexact science and for all the whinging about the Sharks' picks that we saw during the draft this year, so much of what we're talking about (outside of the very top players, a small group) has to do with one person's preferences, whether that person's a GM, a hockey writer, or some dude commenting on HF Boards.

Who knows who'll be right and who'll be wrong--the likelihood is that everyone will have some hits and some misses; check the receipts in five years or so--but it tells me just how foolish it is to act like your way of thinking is the only way.

Yea for the most part I don't put a ton of value in Wheeler's rankings, I do always read them though along with Pronman. I think he has to stick to his guns with the guys that he ranked higher previously. Just because an NHL's team has scouts that liked a certain guy more, doesn't mean he should as someone who has viewed them in person. People and NHL scouts will always be right on some players and wrong on others. That being said having Lambert ahead of Eklund seems kinda crazy to me, but who knows. I would have expected Bords to get an honorable mention as some of the names on that list he definitely belongs with. Still wish we took Lane Hudson at the draft though, he's a name on this list that I was really hoping for on draft day.

Wheeler also released his goalie rankings and none of the Sharks goalies made that. No Gaudreau, Eetu or Mann.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad