Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Anyone think Dahlen will have a similar play style/impact as Barabanov for the Sharks when and if he comes over?

Barabanov-Hertl-Kane
Labanc-Couture-Meier
Balcers-Donato-Dahlen
Leonard-True-Gregor

I'm not great at formulating lineups but that looks pretty alright. I could see Weisblatt cracking the lineup next year as well.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Anyone think Dahlen will have a similar play style/impact as Barabanov for the Sharks when and if he comes over?

Barabanov-Hertl-Kane
Labanc-Couture-Meier
Balcers-Donato-Dahlen
Leonard-True-Gregor

I'm not great at formulating lineups but that looks pretty alright. I could see Weisblatt cracking the lineup next year as well.

The team seems hesitant to play Donato in the pivot and I don't know if I'd have Leonard up if it's for the 4th line. The Sharks are going to finish in the bottom third offensively and defensively. I can't imagine there would be that little of change with just losing Gambrell and adding Dahlen to the lineup.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Simek is taken in the expansion, there’ll be a nice competition for his spot between Pasichnuk, Hatakka, and Kniazev. Merkley probably would be involved as well since they can move Vlasic to the left but I think it’s those three that are the lead competitors for now.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
If Simek is taken in the expansion, there’ll be a nice competition for his spot between Pasichnuk, Hatakka, and Kniazev. Merkley probably would be involved as well since they can move Vlasic to the left but I think it’s those three that are the lead competitors for now.

I’ve always low-key loved the Kniazev pick. Just from what I’ve read of him, he sounds like he could be great. Anyone know how he did this season?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’ve always low-key loved the Kniazev pick. Just from what I’ve read of him, he sounds like he could be great. Anyone know how he did this season?

So far as I know, he’s moving along well. If he can figure out the defensive game at the NHL level, I think his offensive skills will flourish here and help provide the team with some offensive punch on the left side they’ve been lacking since Ehrhoff was traded.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
So far as I know, he’s moving along well. If he can figure out the defensive game at the NHL level, I think his offensive skills will flourish here and help provide the team with some offensive punch on the left side they’ve been lacking since Ehrhoff was traded.

Great to hear!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm thinking that Kniazev will have a better career than Merkley.
What happened to Merkley? His numbers looked to be slightly better in his last year on the Q from a defensive perspective. I have not followed the Cuda at all this year but seems like either he is having a tough time adjusting to the pro's or he is just not mentally focused on the defensive side of things. He is still too young to give up on but given his character and history I bet his leash is getting tighter and tighter.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
What happened to Merkley? His numbers looked to be slightly better in his last year on the Q from a defensive perspective. I have not followed the Cuda at all this year but seems like either he is having a tough time adjusting to the pro's or he is just not mentally focused on the defensive side of things. He is still too young to give up on but given his character and history I bet his leash is getting tighter and tighter.

Yeah, it's been the focus part. He's just not as engaged as everyone else out there. I'm hoping for an improvement in that department next year.

He's a project and it's too early to give up on him, but it just feels like the biggest thing in the way of Ryan Merkley succeeding is Ryan Merkley.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don’t think that’s really a bold take at this point. :(

Merkely had a disappointing first-pro-season, but his junior numbers blow Kniazev's out of the water.

It is strange how all the touted prospects have mostly disappointed while the underdogs have far surpassed expectations. Two years ago, was there a single person who thought Knyzhov would be an NHLer?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Merkely had a disappointing first-pro-season, but his junior numbers blow Kniazev's out of the water.

It is strange how all the touted prospects have mostly disappointed while the underdogs have far surpassed expectations. Two years ago, was there a single person who thought Knyzhov would be an NHLer?
Maybe not two years ago, but one of the scouts did call out that he liked him a lot last year. I posted a short summary earlier in the Knyzhov signing thread: Confirmed with Link: - Sharks sign Nikolai Knyzhov to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad