Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sharks prospects do seem to get underrated, though sometimes I have questioned if it's entirely an issue of scouts not watching them because lolSharks or if the org purposely skews things. You can go back and read some of the rankings from, say, the late 2000s and see a bunch of not just unimpressive players ranked, but very puzzling order. Like the aforementioned Taylor Doherty sitting, I think, #2 on the list at his peak. Or when Taylor Dakers was the most lauded goalie in an (admittedly disappointing) stable that included him, Tyson Sexmith, Alex Stalock, and I think one other guy (Sateri maybe?). It makes me think that sometimes the org tries to inject some helium into their middling guys in hopes that it either distracts from the real sleepers or maybe to con another team into thinking they should be higher on a guy in the SJ system than they really ought to be.

I also think that with Chekhovich people are frightened by the swinginess. When he looked good in his earlier Cuda stints or in the KHL he looks really good. But when he struggles (like he did last year with the Barracuda) he looks horrific.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Sharks prospects do seem to get underrated, though sometimes I have questioned if it's entirely an issue of scouts not watching them because lolSharks or if the org purposely skews things. You can go back and read some of the rankings from, say, the late 2000s and see a bunch of not just unimpressive players ranked, but very puzzling order. Like the aforementioned Taylor Doherty sitting, I think, #2 on the list at his peak. Or when Taylor Dakers was the most lauded goalie in an (admittedly disappointing) stable that included him, Tyson Sexmith, Alex Stalock, and I think one other guy (Sateri maybe?). It makes me think that sometimes the org tries to inject some helium into their middling guys in hopes that it either distracts from the real sleepers or maybe to con another team into thinking they should be higher on a guy in the SJ system than they really ought to be.

I also think that with Chekhovich people are frightened by the swinginess. When he looked good in his earlier Cuda stints or in the KHL he looks really good. But when he struggles (like he did last year with the Barracuda) he looks horrific.

#DougTheDentist...I think that the helium option you listed is the right one.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

Or it's just a reflection of Sommer and Burke's favorite "prospects"

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Reedy is a pleasant surprise. Dude looks like a scoring threat almost every time he's on the ice. He looks the part physically as well. I would bet he develops even further and makes the team out of camp next year. Dont flame me, I'm an optimist:sarcasm:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Reedy is a pleasant surprise. Dude looks like a scoring threat almost every time he's on the ice. He looks the part physically as well. I would bet he develops even further and makes the team out of camp next year. Dont flame me, I'm an optimist:sarcasm:
Think he's an ideal 4th line guy for the modern NHL. Has the frame to be able to play the body a bit while also some scoring touch and great speed. Plus he shoots RH which automatically gives him a leg up in that race for 4th line minutes given the roster is deprived of those guys.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Think he's an ideal 4th line guy for the modern NHL. Has the frame to be able to play the body a bit while also some scoring touch and great speed. Plus he shoots RH which automatically gives him a leg up in that race for 4th line minutes given the roster is deprived of those guys.

Great, now we cant tell the main forums "But we have no one that should be playing over Marleau!"

Reactions: tealzamboni

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
"Even if you count Howes WHA games Marleau still has 457 more gamed played than him"
tenor.gif

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hamaliuk just scored for Kelowna on a tip-in.

Also worth noting that since I have to have the Kelowna radio feed as the audio on my stream, I've learned that you pronounce "Hamaliuk" as "HAM-uh-luck"

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Hamaliuk just scored for Kelowna on a tip-in.

Also worth noting that since I have to have the Kelowna radio feed as the audio on my stream, I've learned that you pronounce "Hamaliuk" as "HAM-uh-luck"
Any chance he actually amounts to something? I was excited when we picked him but he hasn’t impressed to say the least

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Any chance he actually amounts to something? I was excited when we picked him but he hasn’t impressed to say the least
Standard "I'm not a scout nor do I play one on TV" disclaimer but I've seen him maybe 6-8 times and never come away impressed. He's just sort of... there.

He's got size, but he doesn't use it. He seems a little sluggish when it comes to attacking the net or getting past defenders, and while he isn't a cherry-picker I don't see him busting his ass to backcheck or hound guys defensively.

He just sort of feels like the whole is less than the sum of his parts. And not even because of motivation or hockey IQ or anything I can point at and go "yeah, that's it. That's what's wrong."

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Wiesblatt finished his season off with a goal an assist (no playoffs in WHL)
Robins missed a slate of games at the end of the season because of injury
Raska had an assist as his team is tied 2-2 in the playoffs

Ozzy with only 7 goals this year? Seems low for 23 games at that level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad