Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Really excited that he’s there if what peeps have said about the Knights org is true. I’m naive to it, so thanks for the info.

Merks had a good camp and is so freakin talented. In the same way other young talent looks when they’re actually paired with NHL’ers, I look forward to seeing Merks dish impossible stretch passes up to Timo, Hertl, Cootch...oh my. Then, post game questions when Burns and EK65 are asked about Merkley’s skill.

cant wait man

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
Merks is going to net over 100 points this year at the OHL level I think. He'll never be a shutdown d. But if you can outscore your opponent and be great at possession and transitions that will keep the other team off the scoreboard as well.

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
Was hoping one of the team's goalie prospects would step up and become the backup. That job seems to be there for the taking given Dell's play.
Kinda reminds me of when Steve Shields left and Nabokov was taking over the starter position. Kiprusoff and Toskala were in like to push nabby who sort of stumbled out the gate ( it's been a while so maybe injury?) Kipper looked like Swiss cheese and Toskala was only slightly better. Both of those guys were more ready for the NHL than Shortridge, Korenar and possibly Bibeau. Goalies often take a long time to get great. Probably by the time Jones's contract is up the Sharks will have two starters ready to go. In the meantime the AHL is a good place to learn.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Merks is going to net over 100 points this year at the OHL level I think. He'll never be a shutdown d. But if you can outscore your opponent and be great at possession and transitions that will keep the other team off the scoreboard as well.

And you don't have to look far either. Burns and Karlsson are premier players who do exactly that.

I think Merkley needs to put on a little more muscle and also become smarter with using his stick to break defensive plays. He will never be a physical force on the ice but neither is Karlsson and he is doing just fine in the NHL.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
2019-09-29 15.29.05.jpg

Looks like he's got an "A" too.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It was a scoreless, chippy 1st period. Hamaliuk had some pp time, mostly stationed in front of the net. He also took a slashing penalty that was the start of all the bad blood.

I noticed he's not a burner and tends to... I don't want to say "float" but he seems like he conserves energy a lot. Almost like a shark (the animal, not the hockey team) he sort of stalks at low speed then kicks it up a gear when the opportunity presents. Not a burner though. He has a deliberate stride that starts a bit slow, though he seems passable once he hits top speed.

No good action shots, so here he is at the end of the period working out the penalties after a huge line brawl as the buzzer went. And for @tiburon12 he's also standing next to Giants captain (Washington draft pick) and Thai-descendant Alex Kannok-Liepert.

2019-09-29 16.49.06.jpg

The best part of the brawl was Rockets coach Adam Foote screaming at the player fighting with his son, Nolan. Or he was screaming at his son, which'd be even better :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
2nd period in the books. Rockets now trail 3-0 and are getting vastly outplayed. Hamaliuk didn't get much opportunity to do anything, and his only moment of note was being denied on the doorstep on a weak backhand.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Dahlen with an assist and a shootout goal
Gallant with an assist and the game-winner

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
October 2nd

Dahlen with 2 assists
Ibragimov with an assist
Spiridonov with 2 goals and 2 assists
Hatakka with an assist
Hamaliuk with a goal and an assist