Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegalodonOnIce

Dec 23, 2015
Great White North
I haven't been this on board with a Sharks goalie prospect since Tyson Sexsmith, who I thought had a lot of potential. I really hope Emond doesn't go the way of Sexsmith. I'm really hoping that Team Canada has been watching him for the World Juniors. I know there's at least Olivier Rodrigue who is certainly in contention, so they're not blind to the Q

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I haven't been this on board with a Sharks goalie prospect since Tyson Sexsmith, who I thought had a lot of potential. I really hope Emond doesn't go the way of Sexsmith. I'm really hoping that Team Canada has been watching him for the World Juniors. I know there's at least Olivier Rodrigue who is certainly in contention, so they're not blind to the Q

I dearly hoped Sexsmith would succeed, but I knew from the beginning hte odds were against him. He was absolutely a product of Don Hay's system with the Giants. I haven't watched many (read: any) Rouyn-Noranda games, but just by the box scores it doesn't look like Emond is in that same boat just based on how badly he gets shelled in some games.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
November 2nd

Émond with 32/33 saves
Kniazev with an assist
Kotkov with an assist
Gallant with an assist
Hrabik with an assist
Leonard with 2 goals

Reactions: MegalodonOnIce

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He’s looked absolutely dominant on the ice this season. We may have another late round NHLer. He’s looked like one of the best players in college through the first few weekes of the season.
He's leading the team in shot attempt generation again. It doesn't mean as much now that he's older but he hasn't fallen off either, even with Makar and Ferraro leaving. So I think it's fair to feel positively about him.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Good to see some positive prospect news.

Anyone have a scouting report on this one??

Sure, been watching him regularly for 3 years now. He has a lot of offensive talent. He was really impressive as a freshman. Very productive season, and his puck skills were off the chart. Just search John Leonard Goals and you will see some beauties including a couple playoff SC top 10’s against UVM. Sophomore he was still very good but I didn’t feel like he progressed in terms of dominance until late in the season and NCAA tournament. He scored some beautiful goals there as well. I think part of it was the team was so deep last year and Makar was the best player in college so it was easy to get distracted with Makar’s play. So far this year Leonard has looked fantastic. Dominant with the puck and just looks like he belongs in a higher league. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him skip his senior year after this season ends. I think he has top 6 upside but I really want to see how his game translates to pro before making a prediction. If he continues to develop it would not surprise me to see him turn into a 25+ goal scorer at the NHL level. His shot is good and his puck skills are very good. Skating is above average too.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
IIRC, at his draft, there was one scout who basically said that Leonard was going to be a top-six winger.

It is doubtful. Overage players just don't do that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad